You're John Kavanagh, how do you prepare Conor for the Khabib rematch?

Take Pettis new frame of mind I guess. throw standing and if you get taken down, throw up subs. If you can't get the sub, scramble.

I don't know it that will work and he might get pretty damn tired, but grappling with him isnt going to work

OK, I'm Pizzle Kavanagh, and how would I train UFC for Conor? One word, KNOCKOUT POWER.

john wont do shit, conor tells john what to do.

Wait 2-3 years and hope Mcgregor's timing doesn't degrade. Hope Khabib loses his shot due to additional knee and neck injuries. Khabib already has injuries, he is very stiff in terms of flexibility compared to earlier in his career.

Honestly? As much as I rooted for Khabib, Conor did a very good job with the takedown defense until the punch in the 2nd, and when he gassed on 4th round.

I'd keep the training on the takedown defense, and also make him more aggressive, he should've used more his left hand, I felt like he jabbed too much, he should've gone for the KO.

I find it funny, you make this post and Sherdog releases an article about Kavanagh having iffy thoughts about training McGregor again.
I think Conor is done. Not as a defeated Man, but done with the competition. He doesn't need it anymore.
Good for him.

... please tell me how you would prepare him
You mean if he should start training self defense, pay for personal security or.. you know, pack the heat?

That's a good question. I think he should train evading the octagon as soon as McGregor's out.

Cut out all the cycling. It's clearly doing nothing for his cardio. He only cycles because he hates running (real cardio).

Instead I'd have him throw power shots repeatedly on the heavy bag over and over. 4 seconds rest in-between shots. Until he cannot.

5 minute break then go again.

Stop only when he cannot throw even one punch.

That's the only way to fix his cardio issue. Trust me I know what imaaatalkingabouuud

Forget about Conor and start training his kid. 20+ years of MMA training to fight a 50+ year old Khabib. That's the only way a McGregor is ever beating a Nurmagamedov.

Work on that cheating, since apparently there are zero repercussions for it.
And if he gets DQed, make up some bullshit about how they would have won in the streets with no rules.

I'd get him to train 24/7 with Askren. Challenge is to tag Askren without being taken down. Once he does get taken down, just reset and get back to work. The only way he wins this fight is if he gets mobile enough to avoid Khabib getting hold of him, because once in close enough he's going down. You can't just make up for a lifetime of grappling in a few years, no matter how hard you train.

But more than anything Conor has to regain his hunger to have any chance. I think he peaked against Aldo, the build-up and mind games culminating in a spectacular knockout made him a star, it went to his head and he's never trained as hard since then. Before he was obsessed with improving, now he's obsessed with marketing and fame. He got a bit of spark back with Diaz 2, but I think the money has killed his drive.

He may never beat Khabib even at his very best, but in his current state of mind he has no chance.

Ask if he’s serious about beating Khabib, if yes then get in MW Olympic wrestlers training with him every day for 6 months before starting a camp for the rematch. Get him off the whiskey and cocaine and bring in Askren, Sherk and Shields to prep his wrestling and Maia/Nelson to get him up to standard with his jits, get his striking back on form too but unsure who he normally goes through for that

Hand him a knife during the corner break, tell him to it hide under his shorts. Then use it whilst he is on his back.

The obvious answer is working with better and different grapplers. But maybe working with MMA strikers like Silva who have tried to overcome dominant grapplers and done so would be an interesting approach. Other than that, cardio up I suppose, hard to see a different result in the end for mine.

Learn to slice up foreheads from assistant coach Gunnar... only prepare to do it from bottom position. On fight night I expect Khabib to bleed out in the ring, quite ironic too that he is the one getting halal slaughtered. 27-1

Back