Youtube Champs, Backyard Brawlers and Internet forum "Experts".

TRYING TO TELL KIDS TO STOP PRACTICING MMA/"UFC" IN THE YARD WOULD BE THE EQUIVALENT OF TELLING US WHEN WE WERE KIDS TO STOP PLAYING TACKLE FOOTBALL IN THE YARD (TOUCH IS SAFER....) WITHOUT PADS.

lol

No its not.

Fighting > Football.

See my signature for further clarifiction.

I'm not sure if you put that in all caps because you are pissed off but that's how it comes across (all caps=yelling). I do agree, MMA has enough opponents already without people in backyards injuring eachother.

I think one problem with martial arts training is that by definition it is a physical, contact sport. It's hard (especially for untrained or minimally trained people) to practice it and remove the contact aspect. Take hockey for example. You can play in a full contact league with full equipment and you can also play non-contact shinny on a public rink with minimal equipment and it's fundamentally the same experience. That doesn't work so easily for MMA or the individual arts within (muay thai, BJJ etc).

Another thing is that most people playing mainstream sports "untrained" aren't actually totally untrained since they've probably at least played them in school as kids.

No, yelling was not what I intended to portray with the CAPS. If that was the interpretation I apologize, it was meant to be poignant, that's all.

Thanks for your take, it definitely makes sense and you're right. Like the Hockey comparisson!

Once again, that was my oversight and your correct "mainstream sports are more accessible in schools and therfore likely that some kids have a clue as to proper conduct. Either way, lack of proper training or minimal training in any contact sport is far more likely to cause injury, particularly so with MMA! Before MMA (and still) I am willing to bet many broken necks and paralysis cases could be attributed to WWF!

lol

No its not.

Fighting > Football.

See my signature for further clarifiction.

Fighting MMA and training/sparring/practing are drastically different.

Your sig would be applicable to a combat situation, wether a sanctioned combative event or defending yourself.

Practicing MMA < Fighting MMA, hence the reference to sandlot football. Problem is, without training, practicing MMA is far more dangerous. Many people do train without the desire to get in a ring and compete. Obviously, at the pro or elite level, if that is why you choose to train, MMA is a very dangerous sport where finishing an opponent does mean inflicting physical damage. But, I am guessing Ray Lewis (NFL linebacker), when he sees a reciever catch a floater in the middle of the field, is not intending to put him down softly! At the level of any pro/am level athlete in physical sports, damaging an opponent is reality and a goal, more often than not.

Look, all these kids want to do is become Kimbo slice and join Elite XC

Their dreams have been crushed. My sister tells me Kimbo is doing children's movies now. All they can do is take it out on eachother.

Look, all these kids want to do is become Kimbo slice and join Elite XC

Their dreams have been crushed. My sister tells me Kimbo is doing children's movies now. All they can do is take it out on eachother.

LMAO,

I can see Kimbo and Mr. Rogers doing a duet of "it's a beautifull day in the neighborhood" and having all the kids sit around the Elite XC cage for story time!

LMAO,

I can see Kimbo and Mr. Rogers doing a duet of "it's a beautifull day in the neighborhood" and having all the kids sit around the Elite XC cage for story time!

Unfortunately Mr. Rogers died a few years ago from Cancer otherwise I'd be all over this. Mr. Rogers by armbar!

wait a minute, you guys do understand that many people find fighting to be fun right? and like many fun things it is often done recreationally with friends outside of a controlled environment right?

look i train all the disciplines at a legit gym, i've boxed and grappled in competition and will likely fight mma soon so im not retarded about this stuff but like most 18 year old guys i've fought in backyards with buddies, so what? its fun . nuff said.

all you fuckin elitists who get off by ordering kids to take the sport as seriously as you do go fuck yourselves, seriously. maybe they dont wanna become a future champ or any kind of fighter at all, maybe they just like it but are lazy and are willing to accept the risks to THEIR OWN FUCKING SAFETY by enjoying a quick brawl with their friends.

if they get hurt, even if they get seriously hurt or even fucking die
it would be tragic but kids do this shit to themselves all the time in a multitude of ways, let it go, it'll just happen anyway and they're only hurtig themselves

wait a minute, you guys do understand that many people find fighting to be fun right? and like many fun things it is often done recreationally with friends outside of a controlled environment right?

look i train all the disciplines at a legit gym, i've boxed and grappled in competition and will likely fight mma soon so im not retarded about this stuff but like most 18 year old guys i've fought in backyards with buddies, so what? its fun . nuff said.

all you fuckin elitists who get off by ordering kids to take the sport as seriously as you do go fuck yourselves, seriously. maybe they dont wanna become a future champ or any kind of fighter at all, maybe they just like it but are lazy and are willing to accept the risks to THEIR OWN FUCKING SAFETY by enjoying a quick brawl with their friends.

if they get hurt, even if they get seriously hurt or even fucking die
it would be tragic but kids do this shit to themselves all the time in a multitude of ways, let it go, it'll just happen anyway and they're only hurtig themselves

That's the thing, if you look at the larger picture they aren't just hurting themselves. MMA isn't an entrenched, mainstream sport so if a group of kids go fight in their backyard and seriously injure themselves it's just another reason for the media to say "oh noes! these kids got hurt fighting teh UFC. UFC is violent, it's bad! We need to ban it, think of the children!"

It's one thing for kids to roughhouse and fight for fun, it's another thing to film it, call it an "MMA match" and post it on YouTube.

Totally agree with the stop backyard brawling part, but what do you guys think of sparring with friends outside of the gym? With full protective gear and all. Sometimes I like to spar with a friend when Im bored, for fun / improvement.

Anyway, love ur sig DrBdan (about the curls)

meh.. street fighting is idiotic.

i don't think there's any connection between mma and street fighting.. idiots will attempt to justify their idiocy by comparing themselves to sportsmen, but it is a moot comparison. you go 'round trying to pride fight dudes all weekend in my neighborhood, you'd undoubtedly be stabbed and have your house burned down before sunday morning.. the craziest rubber guard won't save you.

clowns are everywhere, don't let it get to you.. that scene reflects on mma like "finding nemo" reflects on monterey bay aquarium, i truly think only morons suffer any confusion about it these days

Back