Yuki Nakai shares expertise w/ Japanese judo team

My experience during last last Japan trip, to years ago, is that the Japanese are breeding absolute newaza monsters from a young age.

A Judo guy sharing newaza with the Japanese Judo team. Great.

A Judo guy sharing newaza with the Japanese Judo team. Great.
Nakai trained for years under Satoru Sayama and Enson Inoue; plus he has half the BJJ black belts in the country at his gym every week. It's just possible he knows something he didn't when he used to compete in Kosen Judo 25 years ago.

Nakai trained for years under Satoru Sayama and Enson Inoue; plus he has half the BJJ black belts in the country at his gym every week. It's just possible he knows something he didn't when he used to compete in Kosen Judo 25 years ago.
He was definitely there as a BJJ representative. The IJF just didn't want to say so.

My experience during last last Japan trip, to years ago, is that the Japanese are breeding absolute newaza monsters from a young age.

Curious where you went? Last time I did Judo there, I did not notice anything particularly different but I guess that's getting close to a decade now.

He owns most of the biggest BJJ businesses in Japan. Of course he was.

Curious where you went? Last time I did Judo there, I did not notice anything particularly different but I guess that's getting close to a decade now.
I trained at a few places last time. Komozawa University, Kodokan, Kanagawa Budokan, Asahi Dojo and one more place I can't remember. I noticed it at all the places, but especially at Asahi Dojo.

Nice, was it due to BJJ or sort of a Judo newaza revival?

There used to be a saying that for a US player to beat a Japanese was by going to newaza.

There used to be a saying that for a US player to beat a Japanese was by going to newaza.

That was supposedly the mindset of the US Olympic team last games...

As far as I know, just a bit of a newaza revival. Perhaps in response to a number of foreign players/teams?

Back