Yushin Okami: "I have zero problems with the weightcut at 170"

he tried the more fan friendly striker style, had some success hes focusing on his strengths now. i wouldnt want to be till cerrone woodley right now. may be even WB

I would say Cerrone & WB would be very vulnerable to that drape and rape style Woodley as enough high level wrestling of his own to counter that and hand cannons, Till looks like he moves real well with athletic quickness to make Yushin a chaser...

I would say Cerrone & WB would be very vulnerable to that drape and rape style Woodley as enough high level wrestling of his own to counter that and hand cannons, Till looks like he moves real well with athletic quickness to make Yushin a chaser...
well said , agree. okami brings a nice new dynamic to 170

Love Okami. He needs to walk out to AC/DC's Thunderstuck every fight!!!

In the discussion thread, he got a lot of negative comments but I enjoyed the fight. He might not be the most exciting but I like seeing grapplers ... grapple. I think he would be best training with someone like Khabib or Maia to refine his gnp/sub skills, the guy literally has only one thing he lacks in his ground game and that's finishing technique.

A great dominant grappler none the less

I think he can be top 5 with the right approach.

Should go to Makhachkala and ask Abdulmanap to teach him some wrasslen tricks to ride people along the fence.

I love Okami. He's had some epic battles in the UFC and elsewhere.

That said, he looks pretty bad at 170, not good for him. Just stay at 185 or go 100% for sub grappling. He's not passing a hydration test at 170.

Epic battles?!?! Which fights??

I'm just trying to figure out what he considers to be an "epic battle"
I don't hate Okami at all but he's pretty far from exciting imo
Yeah i'm kinda on the same boat tbh. I don't really recall an epic showing of his

I have tons of problems with Yushin competing still. He hasn't fought well vs. skilled fighters for years.

I have tons of problems with Yushin competing still. He hasn't fought well vs. skilled fighters for years.

I think he is still dominating almost everyone he fights.. His losses were against very tough guys. I don't expect most WWs to fight much better than Okami did against the likes of David Branch at 185.

Huge guy, 5-win run if not for the OSP 205 pound division short notice sacrifice to get back into UFC.

Feed Perry to him (or a grappling matchup with Maia)
Okami versus Nelson or Maia would be awesome. I'd prefer Maia since both are old and on their ways out.

a fight with Gunnar would be interesting, but I´m not sure its healthy for him to fight at 170, he WAS a big 185

Yeah I would not call it epic battles except maybe the Boetsch fight for the comeback, lol. I remember many entertaining fights of Okami in ufc though

I'm not trashing him haha, I just think epic should be reserved for truly epic

Okami's dedication and talent will have him remaining a top fighter untill he's 40 or over. One of the few legit Japanese fighters of his time. He did not have the yakuza bribing opponents to take a dive against him I can tell you that right now.
Then why wasn't sakuraba protected if that's so common?

a fight with Gunnar would be interesting, but I´m not sure its healthy for him to fight at 170, he WAS a big 185

He cut just as much weight as many other at 170. When competed at 185 he walked around 200lbs, which is actually below average these days at MW, now walks around lighter. In the video above he is asked about it. He was not really a big 185. He is huge at WW I would say though.

Huge guy, 5-win run if not for the OSP 205 pound division short notice sacrifice to get back into UFC.

Feed Perry to him (or a grappling matchup with Maia)
Maia vs yushin sounds good. It would certainly be a good contest, maybe not a pretty fight tho.

Back