Zahabi on JRE

I really enjoyed listening Zahabi talk about training and philosophy. However I wonder what Ross Enamait would say since his approach to training is high intensity.

You can look at who more often than the other has better and more competitive athletes.
I understand they are different sports but ross' intensity vs volume vs duration of the rounds is intelligently programmed most generally.

I agree with Firas there. I think high intensity all the time is good only for teenagers or roidheads.

I agree with the whole idea of sub-maximal loads, most novice programs incorporate this. The real question is which way is more effective 3x5 at 85%, 5x5 at 70% or 5x10 at 60%? If you are trying to develop maximal strength, you will eventually have to lift at high % of your 1RM to make adaptations. Doing 5x10 at 60% of your 1rm becomes more a hypertrophy workout. Benching that gives a similar load as a push up, and with that mentality, you might as well not bench. The reason why the barbell lifts are superior for strength training is because they can be loaded much heavier and over a longer period. Plyos are important, but a plyos mean nothing if you are weak. What are you going to do, "explosively" bench 85 pounds? lol

I agreed with a lot about what he said, but he said that if your squat goes up your vertical will go down, which is fucking bullshit. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns, but if you go from a novice level squat to an intermediate level squat, its going to translate to more power. Yeah if a guy already squats 600 then gets to 700, there isn't going to be much of an improvement in vertical, but that only applies to a very small percentage of the elite level lifters.

If you are born with a shit vertical, there isn't much you can do about it, however to say that the KING of Strength exercises will make you weaker at an essential and translatable movement like the vertical jump simply is not true.

I agree with the whole idea of sub-maximal loads, most novice programs incorporate this. The real question is which way is more effective 3x5 at 85%, 5x5 at 70% or 5x10 at 60%? If you are trying to develop maximal strength, you will eventually have to lift at high % of your 1RM to make adaptations. Doing 5x10 at 60% of your 1rm becomes more a hypertrophy workout. Benching that gives a similar load as a push up, and with that mentality, you might as well not bench. The reason why the barbell lifts are superior for strength training is because they can be loaded much heavier and over a longer period. Plyos are important, but a plyos mean nothing if you are weak. What are you going to do, "explosively" bench 85 pounds? lol

I agreed with a lot about what he said, but he said that if your squat goes up your vertical will go down, which is fucking bullshit. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns, but if you go from a novice level squat to an intermediate level squat, its going to translate to more power. Yeah if a guy already squats 600 then gets to 700, there isn't going to be much of an improvement in vertical, but that only applies to a very small percentage of the elite level lifters.

If you are born with a shit vertical, there isn't much you can do about it, however to say that the KING of Strength exercises will make you weaker at an essential and translatable movement like the vertical jump simply is not true

Defo raised an eyebrow when he said that

He had a lot of good thoughts but some nonsense in there too

The squat decreasing your vertical jump seemed like such nonsense I immediately thought bullshit, makes no sense

Yeah. Good stuff. Its basically what i have been doing since 2013. And i have never been in this great shape.

Defo raised an eyebrow when he said that

He had a lot of good thoughts but some nonsense in there too

The squat decreasing your vertical jump seemed like such nonsense I immediately thought bullshit, makes no sense

Even for someone who isn't familiar with fitness, the theory isn't logical at all. I assume he believes the 600-700 lbs squatters can't even leave the ground.

Even for someone who isn't familiar with fitness, the theory isn't logical at all. I assume he believes the 600-700 lbs squatters can't even leave the ground.

Before squats, I could get a finger tip on the rim of a basketball hoop. Now I can grip the rim and almost dunk and I rarely play basketball. It definitely translates.

I've been following it for a couple of years and love it, can't recommend enough. Has a lot of shit in there for athletes, I play American football and it suits me great.

The best thing is that it constantly adapts to your development.

What is the Juggernaut system exactly?

What is the Juggernaut system exactly?

A lifting table schedule of rep and percentage of your 1 rep max, in cycles that last 3 months. Every 3 weeks you have a formula that tells you how much to add to your lifts based on your current ability. It oscillates between hypertrophy and strength and uses sub maximal loading to enable greater volume over time.

Its funny. Zahabi said domething and now everyone is buying into it.

Did you guys question if he had a clue what he is talking about. Especially for Russian wrestling and their training methods.

As I understand it, Sheiko is all about high volume, submaximal intensity. Seems to get great reviews. Probably not for non strength athletes though.

Kids get faster and more explosive when they squat. Why? Because they can now generate more power. He said some good stuff but a bunch bro science

Kids get faster and more explosive when they squat. Why? Because they can now generate more power. He said some good stuff but a bunch bro science
Depends on the activity, person, style of squatting and so on. Plenty of times where increasing your squat wont make you faster or able to create more force. Squats CAN be solid for verticals as the impulse seems to increases with force x time and there's a counter movement that takes a lot of time so it translates better (not to mention it's a very simular movement), but anything really fast with high rate coding and contraction velocity like sprinting, kicking, footwork and punching it's highly debateable.

Did you guys question if he had a clue what he is talking about. Especially for Russian wrestling and their training methods.

Out of all the coaches out there he's one of those I'm the most likely to listen to, not only because of his wealth of experience coaching but also because he's a smart guy.

The other thing is that what he said makes sense to me so it's easy to buy into it.

I've seen how the Thais train for Muay Thai in Thailand and it's essentially what he described with both not going 100% and not being sore the following days, and also having that flow where training is playful but still challenging. They also jog on the side of training but it's light on the feet and quite chilled pace, building an aerobic base by running everyday rather than running hard only a few times a week.

Zahabi isn't inventing anything new here and what he says makes perfect sense.

A lifting table schedule of rep and percentage of your 1 rep max, in cycles that last 3 months. Every 3 weeks you have a formula that tells you how much to add to your lifts based on your current ability. It oscillates between hypertrophy and strength and uses sub maximal loading to enable greater volume over time.
Still is hard to find as much info of the program like with Texas, Starting Strength or others.

I mean many people follow Rogan like Jesus so don´t be surprised.

Out of all the coaches out there he's one of those I'm the most likely to listen to, not only because of his wealth of experience coaching but also because he's a smart guy.

The other thing is that what he said makes sense to me so it's easy to buy into it.

I've seen how the Thais train for Muay Thai in Thailand and it's essentially what he described with both not going 100% and not being sore the following days, and also having that flow where training is playful but still challenging. They also jog on the side of training but it's light on the feet and quite chilled pace, building an aerobic base by running everyday rather than running hard only a few times a week.

Zahabi isn't inventing anything new here and what he says makes perfect sense.
Still before going to Montreal heard the sparrings at his place were almost to the killing point.

Still is hard to find as much info of the program like with Texas, Starting Strength or others.

I mean many people follow Rogan like Jesus so don´t be surprised.

Still before going to Montreal heard the sparrings at his place were almost to the killing point.

Buy the ebook for a few dollars, stop trying to steal shit from people who deserve our compensation for the excellent work they've provided.

Buy the ebook for a few dollars, stop trying to steal shit from people who deserve our compensation for the excellent work they've provided.
Very polite, I cannot buy it from here and when was in Canadá never saw it. Thank´s anyway.

Maybe because as he said during the video the intensity is there during fight camps, but the rest of the time they don't go 100%.

Maybe because as he said during the video the intensity is there during fight camps, but the rest of the time they don't go 100%.
Maybe, anyway I heard his place wasn´t for beginners so I didn´t show up XD

Having been to Russia (Ossetia to be exact) and visited/trained at 3 wrestling clubs that have produced Olympic gold medalists amongst others; he’s right on some things & wrong in others. We have the same volume as they do. We train 5/6 days a weeks just as they do. It’s not a lack of volume that hurts us...in fact most of our top guys have wrestled 100x as many competitions and trained harder.

Why has Russia historically been better? Coaching, government spending, and culture. Coaching: they have Olympic/World champions coaching kids from the time they were 6 all the way to 26. Government spending: many of our wrestlers have been forced to work full time to live up until recently. Culture: our best athletes don’t wrestle, theirs do. Winning a world championship in Dagestan/Ossetia is a HUGE deal, far bigger than here. Their hero’s aren’t MJ or Lebron or Tom Brady, they are Sadulaev and Romanov and Gatsalov

Back