zart's weightlifting & MA training log

zart

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there. Been doing stronglifts 5x5 beginner program now for about 3 weeks. Until this week I've been lifting light to work on my technique. For those of you who doesn't know what stronglifts 5x5 program looks like it looks like this:
Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Dips 3xFailure

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xFailure

You train 3 times a week and alternate between workout A and B every session.

Been doing MMA for about a year (though the first six months my grappling barely improved since our trainer sucked) and BJJ for 2 months. Our BJJ trainer is a white belt (there's no higher belt closer than one hour away from us) and he's not too good either. Been doing almost nothing but guard passes for 2 months and all newbies have left since he didn't even teach them basic positions so they all got owned in sparring. I try to watch as much instructionals as possible and test what I've seen in sparring.

I train BJJ every monday and thursday and MMA every tuesday. On saturdays we have open mat.

About me
Height: 174 cm
Weight: 68 kg
Goals: to squat 110 kg and deadlift 130 kg before this summer. I'd also like to become a little bit heavier.

This weeks weightlifting
Wednesday:
Squat 5x5 45 kg
Pendlay rows 5x5 40 kg
Deadlift 1x5 60 kg
Chins 3x3

Forgot what exercises I was supposed to do so I improvised a little bit.

Friday:
Squat 5x5 50 kg (+5 kg)
Dips 3x5, 2x4

Hurt my neck the day before while rolling so I only did a couple of exercises which I was sure wouldn't make my neck hurt.

Sunday (today):
Squat 5x5 55 kg (+5 kg)
Overhead press 5x5 35 kg
Deadlift 1x5 70 kg (+10 kg)
Chins 3x4 (+1 rep)

During the overhead press my left elbow hurts on the way down, about when the barbell reaches the same level as my head. Been trying to hold the barbell wider and smaller but nothing worked. Don't know what to do about it.

BJJ today. Warmed up, and guess what.. we did guard passes again. After a while we started to work on passing the half guard and after that we did some sparring. I did pretty well and managed to tap both my opponents a couple of times. Had to leave the mat because my knee hurt (I have some kind of cartilage injury).

Gonna work more from my open and closed guard since that's a position I often find myself in but I almost never manage to accomplish something.

Back