Zebra Mat: Grappling or MMA texture?

asphyxia

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Which of these would be better for home use, primarily with a gi but also some exercising on it without a gi (kettlebells, ab workouts, etc).

I've heard the MMA mats have a gentler texture and wont cause mat burn.

Thoughts?

Opposite actually.
The Tatami style mats have GREAT traction but will cut you up without a Gi.

Smooth Grappling mats are slick when you get sweaty. Not a problem on your feet but on your knees they get slick.

I have been on both surfaces. The textured mats at my college always left me with mat burn and in addition, that textured surface is a bi*#ch to clean (getting dirt and grime out of all those little grooves.) The smooth ZEBRA mat doesn't get very slippery at all when wet. Zebra said they performed friction tests on both and said that the smooth mats actually give you more grip when wet. I have the Zebra 1.5" MMA mats in a rough ~20x20 area for my home grappling gym and it has been fantastic for both gi and no gi training.

Opposite actually.
The Tatami style mats have GREAT traction but will cut you up without a Gi.

Smooth Grappling mats are slick when you get sweaty. Not a problem on your feet but on your knees they get slick.

Isn't this basically what I said? Zebra's grappling mats use a Tatami texture and their MMA mats use a different texture that is easier on the skin but don't offer quite the same grip.

I have been on both surfaces. The textured mats at my college always left me with mat burn and in addition, that textured surface is a bi*#ch to clean (getting dirt and grime out of all those little grooves.) The smooth ZEBRA mat doesn't get very slippery at all when wet. Zebra said they performed friction tests on both and said that the smooth mats actually give you more grip when wet. I have the Zebra 1.5" MMA mats in a rough ~20x20 area for my home grappling gym and it has been fantastic for both gi and no gi training.

Thanks for the response, this is basically what I've heard. Aren't they using the MMA mats for the Grappler's Quest tournament in Vegas?

Thanks for the response, this is basically what I've heard. Aren't they using the MMA mats for the Grappler's Quest tournament in Vegas?

Yes, all major grappling tournaments such as Grappler's Quest use our MMA Mats for their tournaments

Yes, all major grappling tournaments such as Grappler's Quest use our MMA Mats for their tournaments

So where can I buy zebra mats without getting raped by shipping charges ? any distributors in Canada or even Quebec ?

So where can I buy zebra mats without getting raped by shipping charges ? any distributors in Canada or even Quebec ?

Yes we have a Toronto warehouse. Shipping to Montreal is fairly cheap. Depends on quantities, but to give you a rough idea:
10 of the 1Mx2M mats to a pick up depot in Montreal that you can pick up from with your own truck is only around $100 for shipping.
That's about 500lbs

Call our Canada office and speak with a representative, they can assist you further.
416-840-3365
They have a sale on the Demo MMA Mats from the Upcoming Grapplers Quest tournament in Toronto at the end of April

I hate the textured mats, my gym has them and I would always get mat burn on the top of my feet. I had to resort to wearing those fight sock ankle supports to protect my feet.

Back