Zercher deadlifts and back rounding

erskine777

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just started incorporating these into my workouts a few weeks back and I was wondering, why is it okay to round your back on the zercher deadlift? Some guy was watching me today and asked me that and I couldn

If you can do these with a strainght back, from the floor, you are one flexable dude.

Because Crom protects those who Zercher deadlift. He protects them from his mountain.
To be honest, I'm not really sure myself. Same w/ Atlas stones, I guess. Perhaps Fatty or HellisforHeroes can answer better.
Pure speculation: it would probably depend on technique. If you did not try and keep your hips parallel to the bar at the stallout, you could possibly injure yourself. The "divebomber" technique of dropping the hips to bar level when it hits about knee level lets you recruit the legs more so you aren't just totally Good Morning...ing... the weight, and are instead now just doing an incredibly uncomfortable deadlift.

I don't ZDL as much as some guys here *COUGH*FINNEGAN*COUGH* but I've always done them with a rounded back. Same with stones, I do those with a rounded back too. I don't have too much experience with stones though, so I think Fatty would be the better choice on asking there.

But I can't think of any one example of a person I've seen ZDL with a completely straight back. I round and divebomb the hell out of those bastards.

I try to keep my chest out as much as I can while rounding my shoulders when doing zercher deadlifts...this way I still have some arch in my lower back...where it counts...

I use a rounded back too but just for piece of mind I don't go heavy.

I've gone pretty heavy, and so has Diesel Wiesel for his bw ( not not mention Dirty Holt, our current Zercher wilks champ). The thing we all have in common is the divebomber technique. If you can get this down, I'm pretty sure you can pull off some decently heavy lifts safely.

shoots, thanks for the responses guys. i'll try work on that divebomber technique the next time i do them.

Just to recap:
When you make the initial lift, there will be a point, usually knee or just below the knee level, where you'll stall out. This is where you drop the hips to be parallel with the bar to take the strain off the lower back and complete the lift.

This is essential to mastering the divebomber technique on this lift while maximizing its benefits as a deadlift assistance lift.

I've done these once and I was able to keep my back arches, but it did feel that I could lift alot more if I rounded my back. I am also kinda flexible. I did have issues with my butt tucking under in the Olympic squats, but I fixed that problem with some vid some guy posted here a while back. I think it was that newfound flexability that allowed me to do zerchers with an arched back.

Again, only did it once. Defiantly a fun lift, looking to incorporate into my routine one day.

For what it's worth, I have a decent ZDL, and yes, I do round my back. However, something about this exercise is different than conventional deadlifts in the sense that if I round my back on a few heavy deadliftsm my body lets me know the next day. However, I feel no pain or discomfort doing so with Zerchers. Not saying it's safe or "correct," not saying it isn't, just what I've observed.

Quit being a pussy. Round your back and lift the weight. I'd rather be permanently crippled then be a spineless coward. + 1 for the Crom protection.

I thought the whole point in Zerchers was rounding your back. However, I only do rounded back lifting with sub-maximal weights, e.g. sandbags. Obviously, there is some evidence around that rounded back lifting can be harmful, as it places more stress on the lumbar spine, i.e. ligaments and not muscles are supporting the load.

I wouldn't overdo it on the conservatism though. Searching the net for some info on this topic, I stumbled on the following site

http://www.globalspine.net/correct_lifting_position.html

which contained this gem :eek:

If you must lift objects, do not try to lift objects that are awkward or are heavier than 20 kg

Just speculation here on my part but i find that where the weight it held is really important for allowing you to round your back without injury. Although your arms are holding the weight in both cases with a zercher it's located alot closer to your abdomin which reduces the strain on the lower back. In a conventional DL if you round your back the bar becomes alot further from your centre and puts more strain on your back that way. The lower weight may also help.

Just speculation here on my part but i find that where the weight it held is really important for allowing you to round your back without injury. Although your arms are holding the weight in both cases with a zercher it's located alot closer to your abdomin which reduces the strain on the lower back. In a conventional DL if you round your back the bar becomes alot further from your centre and puts more strain on your back that way. The lower weight may also help.

That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Back