Zercher Shoot and Rack

Brad Morris

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
My training partner found a similar version of these online somewhere, anyway we are calling them Zercher shoot and rack.

The sports specific nature of the lift is what I like most about it. Yes its risky but what lift isn't? The chain yoke is a far more dangerous lift due to the dynamic nature of the chains. Speaking of which I am going to put a short chain on and try the lift, that should give a more dynamic and realistic feel to the lift.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zwW6Lm-_Ch0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zwW6Lm-_Ch0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Anyway what do you guys think of the lift?

Dude.

That's a sweet maneuver. I'm going to work that in to my routine.

It solves a logistical problem I've been trying to resolve: how do you work the shoot into weight lifting? I've tried it with the heavy bag but it gets complicated (always having to "reset" the bag for example).
This moves also seems to emphasize the FINISH of the shoot: getting under hooks and lifting.
Most drills emphasize the first part: changing levels and getting in.

I like this lift.

Those are some quick feet you have there, Brad.

The lift itself looks fine, and you're making some serious weights look pretty easy.

Did I understand your post correctly, that you're going to try it with the chain yoke?

do you really shoot like that in grappling/MMA? it seems like you're dropping elevation and running up to it.

if that's what works for you on the mat, cool, but if you do a more wrestling shot, maybe you want to throw a kneepad on and try to shoot as similar as you can to your grappling shot.

it looks like you're still getting explosion which is the end of the lift. i think the more important part of the shot to train is the penetration and this doesn't really work that spot. the only thing i have the experience to suggest is using the bands as resistance for your shot and shooting on live people who are only defending at a lower % so you get your reps in.

if you haven't used the bands, give it a shot and make sure they;re quality or you'll snap them.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but....if you're gonna both with that noise there, do it faster with less weight.

Stonebreaker, yes I intend to shorten the chain length a little and try it with the chain yoke. The bar I am using in the vid is the 50mm thick chain yoke bar.

Fight_Song, I do regularly train my shoot drills with training partners, this was just something that we started experimenting with two weeks ago. I have not tried the bands but they sound like a good idea. As for the angle of the shot yes it is a fairly up and down motion. I could play with both the start height of the bar and the distance and angle from where I am shooting, but there are times especially close to the fence when an up down motion will get the pick up and slam.

StevenCrowder, yes the power rack at that gym is terribly shallow a thicker rack would be much better.

Carnal, my idea is to work up to as much weight as I can handle for a single rep and then drop it back to my bodyweight for fast reps. The last rep is done with 103kg (a couple of kgs off my bodyweight) and is a lot faster than the 133kg rep.

Hey man, you're the pro, I was just tossing my thoughts out there.

I hate to demean it, but those shots.... they were abysmal. If you want to get more sport-specific strength in this area, I'd recommend step ups, or split squats and lunges.

Try, please, to take more realistic shots. Moving up to a single then dropping to reps of BW sounds good, but are you doing this with both sides, or just shooting with one leg?

I hate to demean it, but those shots.... they were abysmal. If you want to get more sport-specific strength in this area, I'd recommend step ups, or split squats and lunges.

Try, please, to take more realistic shots. Moving up to a single then dropping to reps of BW sounds good, but are you doing this with both sides, or just shooting with one leg?

Are you really telling a pro heavyweight that his shots are abysmal? You can't perfectly replicate an actual shot on a human with weights, but I'd say he's getting about as much carry-over from the movement as you could hope for.

Watch Brad's fighting vids and then decide if you think he doesn't know what he's doing.

In case you haven't gathered, Brad, I think it looks like a pretty nice movement. I've always thought Zerchers, in general, were one of the best movements for fighting and you've just taken it to the next level.

Say what? I'm not entirely sure you're qualified to have any sort of opinion that has any footing here Juan.

thats brilliant Brad looks great. People are saying your shoot in and what not isn't good but what you are doing is very good and will have great carryover as long as you are training the techniques and training with partners and doing this you'll be even better than you were before.

Another thing that is brilliant about it, It is brilliant if you have someone against the cage or ropes, you are low then pick your oppenent up. Whenever you watch the video people imagine that Brad has just pinned his oppenent against the cage dropped then used his strength and power off this lift to manhandle is oppenent.

I'm sure he works on his shots in more ways than heavy shoot and rack singles. This is a cool lift and reminded me of ducking under a punch and getting a body lock because of the straight up and down motion. Definitely seems sport-specific and realistic.

I'm just saying, from my wrestling experience, those shots didn't look all that great. I like the movement, but I just thought the shots weren't that great.

I know he's a great pro fighter, and I shouldn't be questioning his technique, but I saw what was, in my opinion, not great shots. This movement should have a lot of carryover, especially if you vary the leg you shoot with and the reps/weight. Alan, I wrestled, and it wasn't that much of a shot, more of just a run up and lift.

Stepped with back foot first, wasn't a complete shot. People always catch flak for adding weight to technique, because it messes up technique. This is a lift where you can execute the technique fine first - which, in my opinion, didn't happen on this video - and then the sport specific lift.

Great movement, but IMO it could be better.

Are you doing these with your current bodyweight or your fight weight?

...if you have someone against the cage or ropes, you are low then pick your oppenent up. Whenever you watch the video people imagine that Brad has just pinned his oppenent against the cage dropped then used his strength and power off this lift to manhandle his oppenent.

That's kind of what I was seeing the movement as also.
A great strength move for finishing, lifting the opponent.
I think Juan's comments are a little off base in that this lift does not really appear to be about the shoot itself, it's about the finish. It's about the powerful lifting of an opponent once under hooks (or whatever grip) are established.
I can see your point though Juan: I don't think it would hurt anything to maybe put a mat down or slip on knee pads and do a full shoot to the bar.

Back