ZMA concern, quick question...

IronMaidenfan#1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know ZMA is an overly discussed thread topic on Sherdog, so apologies in advance.
I was looking at the back of my ZMA tub at the ingredients and I noticed Calcium Carbonate Silicon Dioxide. Now I know that having Calcium in the body whilst taking in Zinc is a no no due to the body prioritising Calcium. So is Calcium Carbonate Silicon Dioxide gonna create the same types of problems or is this ingredient different?. I use ZMA primarily as a sleep aid and I know that the Magnesium is more responsible for that as a relaxant but still I'd like to get the benefits of Zinc.

Can anyone confirm if Calcium Carbonate Silicon Dioxide is gonna cause the same problems with the Zinc as any Calcium would?, or is this ingredient ok?. I ran Google searches on the topic but the answers I got were a bit to technical for me to understand. :redface:

Or in other words, if it looks like Calcium and sounds like Calcium then is it Calcium? - I'm just slightly surprised and disapointed if a company made ZMA and didn't take into account the calcium issue.

Well, calcium carbonate is chalk, and silicon dioxide is a drying agent. Does your container have one of those little packages that says "do not eat"? That'd be the silicon dioxide. The calcium could be either finely coated on the capsule surface to prevent sticking, or as a filler. It's hard to say unless you ask the company.

Chances are both are in such small amounts, it won't be an issue.

Thanks Mike for explaining things. The irony of my ZMA having some type calcium in it is that it was sold on the 'testosterone booster' effects rather than as a sleep aid, which was the primary reason I bought it. I'm not gonna sweat over it too much as I am getting better sleep since I've been taking it and that was the main idea. Thanks again.

Back