ZMA or Zink?

kelikallinn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey folks, i was on my way the otherday to buy ZMA but the price made my jaw drop(45$ for 30 days dose) so i didnt feel like it was worth it.
But the day after i was at my supermarket buying some Multi Vits and i saw Zink tablets over there that costed 9$ and had 90 tablets (each tablet being 100% of RD) so i bought them and lately i've been taking 2 tablets before sleep.
But i was wondering since i already take multi vits wich have 100% RDD and eat healthy wich prob gives me 100%+ and eating 60-80g of Cheerios every morning wich also gives me almost 100% RDD, should i just take one or 2 before sleep? Is to much sink bad?
And another question should i buy some B-vitamins and Magnesium to take with the sink before sleep? Or is zink the only essential part of the ZMA since only argument i've seen about ZMA activity is about that most athletes are Zink deficint.
Cheers,

ZMA is usually $12 for 30 days.

(used to be cheaper before it became trendy).

Look at the ingredients on ZMA and then look at the "zinc" you bought and tell us if you think what you have is a good replacement.

PS: if you search this forum for "ZMA" you'll find recommendations on what type of minerals to purchase in bulk instead of commercial ZMA.

sa you say, zma is hella expensive, just stick to magnesium and zinc insted of zma. 45 bucks a month is not worth it

ZMA is usually $12 for 30 days.

(used to be cheaper before it became trendy).

Look at the ingredients on ZMA and then look at the "zinc" you bought and tell us if you think what you have is a good replacement.

PS: if you search this forum for "ZMA" you'll find recommendations on what type of minerals to purchase in bulk instead of commercial ZMA.

Yeah maby in the states but here it's 25% tax on that + shipping and what the stores add to that.
And thanks for the thread tip, i'll guess ill just buy some magnesium with it.

I already take Magnesium at night in Natural Calm. Would it be beneficial to just add a zinc gluconate pill to that?

You can buy them separately for much cheaper. I think you can get a two-year supply for like $12 total.

Works just the same as far as I'm concerned.

you don't need zma unless you've got the papers to prove it. instead, morning and night with meals take a multimineral with 2 parts calcium, 1 part magnesium, and some zinc. this describes about a million cal-mag type products. you can find a good deal on one.

note: recent research indicated calcium supplementation is linked to cardiac events, so for now take calcium from the lower end of the dosage scale, meaning NOT 1000mg a day. this also means save money on calcium citrate and just buy carbonate as long as you have normal stomach function and take it with meals (because it needs stomach acid to digest).

I take 1x now cal-mag caps morning and night and recommend now cal-mag dk for older people with reduced stomach function and because k2 might be useful and it is better to experiment on people who need it more and have less time to live with negative side effects like arms growing out of their foreheads. if you want to take your multimineral any time of day and want a closer calcium to zinc ratio, try now calcium citrate tablets or caps, which provide 7.5mg zinc with every 300mg calcium.

Last edited:
you don't need zma unless you've got the papers to prove it. instead, morning and night with meals take a multimineral with 2 parts calcium, 1 part magnesium, and some zinc. this describes about a million cal-mag type products. you can find a good deal on one.

Horseshit. The Zn and Mg in standard ZMA formuals is a helluva lot more bioavailable than garbage in multis, and Ca is antagonistic with Mg, so it makes no damn sense to a cal-mag. Hell, no one should be taking calcium anyways. Eat meat and veggies? Great,. you have enough calcium, and oddly enough, your uptake is going to be higher anyways.

For the record, the pyridoxine is a cofactor in the conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin, among other things. That's the vivid dreaming. It doesn't have shit to do with Mg, and supposedly Zn increases REM. There's a two-bit theory floating around that once the vivid dreaming stops, you've optimized your Zn levels.

zinc chelates are more bioavailable than the cheap stuff. but I think everything I recommended uses chelates. besides I bet some of those other products use twice as much cheap zinc to make up for the lower bioavailability.

I've read that calcium and magnesium theoretically get in each others way for absorption. but I've never read that normal supplementation with both is ineffective. I suspect practical absorption only breaks when supplementing with quantities larger than normal.

Hi sorry I am a little confused as to using zinc and magnesium separately. I am having the same trouble as the TS, in that ZMA is really expensive (over $30) from where I live in Canada. Buying Zinc and Magnesium separeately would be cheaper. But will it have the same effects if I take two pills (one zinc, one Mg) every night? Also, from my memory, the A in ZMA is some sort of vitamin B mineral? Is that optimal when taking zinc and magnesium? Thanks, I'm not to familiar with nutrition, so any advice would be great.

Hi sorry I am a little confused as to using zinc and magnesium separately. I am having the same trouble as the TS, in that ZMA is really expensive (over $30) from where I live in Canada. Buying Zinc and Magnesium separeately would be cheaper. But will it have the same effects if I take two pills (one zinc, one Mg) every night? Also, from my memory, the A in ZMA is some sort of vitamin B mineral? Is that optimal when taking zinc and magnesium? Thanks, I'm not to familiar with nutrition, so any advice would be great.

Hey man, like everyone very saying Zinc and Magnesium should give you simialar/same effects, i think no1 lacks vitamin B's in the western world so i dont think you should be stressing your self because of that.
Personally im on my way to by Mag tomorrow to stack with my sink :)

I'm not to familiar with nutrition, so any advice would be great.

ZMA is a brand name that apparently was so poorly managed that other companies just copy it now. It represents chelated zinc and magnesium and vitamin b6 which is pyridoxine HCL. It is no different than taking those three ingredients separately. And despite advertisement to the contrary, it is not well proven to do anything other than what every supplement does: make up for deficiency caused by a horrible diet. See Science behind Zma? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Thanks guys ^
I'll drop by the store tommorow and pick up zinc and Mg separately. I've been taking ZMA for the last month (at $35 :(). Might be a placebo, but I did get some pretty crazy dreams which may indicate that it is doing something at least. So I'll give the zinc and Mg a trial.

give iherb a trial while you're at it too, they probably beat your local prices.

since I'm being helpful and all, there is actually a free shipping promo on this month. uhh, that means today only, I guess. if you make the order above $40 and under $80, and under 3 pounds, you save that $4.

Back