ZMA question

Saith

UFC poster boy
Reaction score
I have trouble getting enough sleep after my Wednesday night workouts, so I'm thinking about taking ZMA for that. Would I be able to take it only on Wednesday nights, or do you have to take it regularly to get any benefit from it? And If I only took it one night a week, should I still cycle it?

I only take it once or twice a week and it works fine for me.

I have trouble getting enough sleep after my Wednesday night workouts, so I'm thinking about taking ZMA for that. Would I be able to take it only on Wednesday nights, or do you have to take it regularly to get any benefit from it? And If I only took it one night a week, should I still cycle it?

If you're using it soley for getting better sleep, I think that would be a benefit in itself. Of course you're not going to get the same benefits if you're not using it on the regular. But getting proper sleep is the name of the game when trying to build...

And no, I don't think you would have to cycle it if you're only using it once a week.

If you're using it soley for getting better sleep, I think that would be a benefit in itself. Of course you're not going to get the same benefits if you're not using it on the regular.

I disagree, at least as far as noticeable benefits. I find that I stop noticing it's effects as much after a couple weeks of use. If I run out, or for some reason have to stop for an extended period of time, when I start using it again I find the effects stronger.

I'm sure it's having the same effect, but I notice it more when I use it less. So I've stopped taking it on days I do not train.

If your thinking about taking ZMA, take it for the right reason, the right way---as a recovery aid/mineral supplement. Zinc and magnesium are the two single most depleted minerals in athletes, EVEN with solid nutritional coverage.

The Mg has a side effect of muscle relaxation, and the B6 causes the perception of a deeper sleep via vivid dreams, hence the reputation as a "sleep aid". I've been taking it 365 days/year for a few years, and I still reap the benefits of a solid sleep.

You could cycle it if you want, or take it one night a week, but I honestly think you'd be missing out.

Back