ZMAs + Muscle Milk Before Bed

~beef

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm almost positive I've seen a thread about this before, but I can't find it.
I usually don't use many supps beyond whey, fish oil, and greens+ but I decided I'd try ZMAs out for a little while. You aren't supposed to take ZMAs with any dairy or calcium supplements but I like to have a serving of MM before bed everyday and can't really see myself cutting this out long term unless I got very good results with these ZMAs.
So does anyone have any ways around this that they practice themselves? Such as taking the ZMA dose an hour before bed, allowing time for absorption and then drinking your MM immediately before bed.
Thanks.

I pay no attention to this and take mine with water right after eating cottage cheese.

Yea? Do you still notice results doing this? I wouldn't take it all that seriously but from what I've heard there just isn't any point in taking them if it's on a full stomach and/or with dairy.

I do not think so. You can always drink your MM and take the ZMA an hour or so later. Or take the zma then take the mm and hour later.

It seems like you read one of the million threads on this topic and posted the general consensus of the forum in the form of a question.

Yes, take it 30-60 minutes before bed and drink your pre-bed whatever immediately before sleeping.

To be honest, I think this should be done regardless, even if you only use one of the above mentioned things.

Eh? I take ZMA aswell, but never heard of this no dairy/full stomach rule?

Why is this so?

Generally with prescription medications that interact with dairy (where calcium binds to the medication and keeps it from absorbing into the blood stream) they recommend taking them 2 hours before or 4 hours after dairy. That is probably impractical in this case. I would suggest trying it without taking the MM for a few days and see how it works. Then take it for a few days with the MM and see how it works. Then repeat the cycle a few times with a few days taking ZMA alone and a few days taking it with the MM. You should have a good idea if there's a problem after a few cycles.

Took them last night as recommended on the bottle. They seemed to work really well, I slept through the night only waking up once (I did have a tournament that day so I was pretty tired to begin with though). I guess I'll just have to trial and error to see what works.

Back