Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

@Zookeeper Gabe what is your opinion of the more wild cats like caracals, servals, etc. as pets? I read so much differing opinions on them. I would love to get one at some point, but also dont want to have an animal that cannot thrive in the conditions I give it. I actually was just reading about a siberian lynx and i had no idea people owned these. furthermore, it sounds like they are pretty good domestically.

For the most part they make terrible fucking pets, way way way too many of them end up being neglected and dumped at sanctuaries. My first job was at a big cat sanctuary and we were constantly getting phone calls for people that didn't want/couldn't handle (insert species of exotic cat here) any more and it's fucking depressing as shit. The overwhelming majority of people can not handle them as a pet whether it's the diet/veterinary/enrichment/behavior. Don't do it, don't support it, that includes savannah cats too. Way too many of those animals end up getting euthanized because people can't take care of them and shelters have trouble placing them.
If you want something more unique than just a normal tabby, look into Maine Coons/Norwegian forest cats, or a bengal. There plenty of interesting breeds out there, look into breed specific rescues etc.

When bats + squirrels get drunk and have a baby = Flying Lemurs. by thebarburyian (imgur)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_flying_lemur

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunda_flying_lemur

3d0YgRZ.jpg

o7Bgj4H.jpg

S1DLGMj.jpg

w5ZOviH.jpg

Zc4Ihl9.jpg

RuarggZ.jpg

7pNIENF.gif

p.s. Gabe, I've been a fan of your thread series for a long time. I'm happy to contribute in whichever way I can. I am somewhat "envious" of your profession and your love for your job, a little;)

Lol, pixies are so gross just giant stomachs.

@fungi thanks for the kind words, it's a lot of fun. This however has been a shitty week, came back from vacation and I've had a bunny die, a screech owl die and have an opossum currently with serious heart disease. So it can be an emotionally draining job too
Colugos are super bizarre creatures but seriously adorable.

The big salt water aquarium conference, MACNA, is coming up soon and vendors are starting to tease some the corals they're going to bring.
02a.jpg

symphyllia-wilsoni-4-1024x768.jpg

symphyllia-wilsoni-1024x895.jpg

WWC-Illuminati-Zoanthids.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised to see the bottom one go for $500 or more. Size wise it's probably no bigger than a quarter.

Blue galaxy snake head

Last edited:
It's always crazy the colors corals fluoresce, what makes the bottom two so valuable?
Also that snake head is gorgeous, I remember back in the 90s we used to sell them.

It's always crazy the colors corals fluoresce, what makes the bottom two so valuable?
Also that snake head is gorgeous, I remember back in the 90s we used to sell them.
Most of the times it just because it's a rare color morph. Zoanthid collectors pay crazy prices.
They're one of easiest coral to propagate also, they're one of the recommended beginner corals. So if you bought them now, in 2 months you'd probably have 20-30 to sell depending on your husbandry.
The most expensive zoanthid went for $2400 for 2 heads. If you want easy to care for colorful coral, zoanthids are hard to beat. Only downside is they keep encrusting rocks and when you want to remove them you better suit up. Goggles, gloves, and possibly a respirator. They contain palytoxin, one of the worst toxins out there that will seriously mess you up, and can possibly kill.
These are just the tip of the iceberg.
8ef92e909a076b0bac25a03cf4639e04.jpg

1_frags2riches.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Fruitloop-Zoanthids.png

I've always wanted a snake head but i'm never going to get the chance to keep one and there's no other species like it. I've read that they're voracious eaters and produce a ton of waste.

Most of the times it just because it's a rare color morph. Zoanthid collectors pay crazy prices.
They're one of easiest coral to propagate also, they're one of the recommended beginner corals. So if you bought them now, in 2 months you'd probably have 20-30 to sell depending on your husbandry.
The most expensive zoanthid went for $2400 for 2 heads. If you want easy to care for colorful coral, zoanthids are hard to beat. Only downside is they keep encrusting rocks and when you want to remove them you better suit up. Goggles, gloves, and possibly a respirator. They contain palytoxin, one of the worst toxins out there that will seriously mess you up, and can possibly kill.
These are just the tip of the iceberg.
8ef92e909a076b0bac25a03cf4639e04.jpg

1_frags2riches.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Fruitloop-Zoanthids.png

I've always wanted a snake head but i'm never going to get the chance to keep one and there's no other species like it. I've read that they're voracious eaters and produce a ton of waste.

Such beauties, would love a salti but i get the work and complexity. Will have to stick to fresh water for now.

Love snake heads to bad they are illegal here (would still buy). But if you want a snake, Montreal has em all legal and all. fyi.

Such beauties, would love a salti but i get the work and complexity. Will have to stick to fresh water for now.

Love snake heads to bad they are illegal here (would still buy). But if you want a snake, Montreal has em all legal and all. fyi.
If you've got a good amount of experince with freshwater fish a salt tank isn't that hard as long as you stick to easy corals like leathers, zoanthids, and mushrooms. When you get into LPS and SPS, things start to get difficult because you have to start dosing chemicals.
The only difference is you have to premix the water and that's just dumping in a cup of salt into a bucket of water. Start with ro/di water and use the same brand salt mix every time and your levels will be just fine.
IMO a Co2 planted tank is more work.
I've actually brought legal to own species, african cichlids, across the border and it was a nightmare. I had to prove to a customs guy in New York that if released they wouldn't cause an ecological disaster and all this other bull shit. No matter how many times I tried to tell him I could buy one at a store in the US, he wanted all this paperwork.

If you've got a good amount of experince with freshwater fish a salt tank isn't that hard as long as you stick to easy corals like leathers, zoanthids, and mushrooms. When you get into LPS and SPS, things start to get difficult because you have to start dosing chemicals.
The only difference is you have to premix the water and that's just dumping in a cup of salt into a bucket of water. Start with ro/di water and use the same brand salt mix every time and your levels will be just fine.
IMO a Co2 planted tank is more work.
I've actually brought legal to own species, african cichlids, across the border and it was a nightmare. I had to prove to a customs guy in New York that if released they wouldn't cause an ecological disaster and all this other bull shit. No matter how many times I tried to tell him I could buy one at a store in the US, he wanted all this paperwork.

Ohh don't tell me that, i may actually go try having one. Could covert my 120gal, but i hate the idea of a sump.

Could it all run with just filters and skimmer ex ?

Rules and regulation does ruin most things.

Ohh don't tell me that, i may actually go try having one. Could covert my 120gal, but i hate the idea of a sump.

Could it all run with just filters and skimmer ex ?

Rules and regulation does ruin most things.
120g is a little too big to run without a sump. It's been awhile since I've sat down and dug into skimmers, but I don't think anyone offers a HOB skimmer that will perform good on that size tank.

Big news is coming....

I just have to wait until my zoo officially announces it so I can share it.

They are taking their damn sweet time as well

Some "Baby-toddler" animals.

Sugarglider
pfMe5Rf.jpg

Aardvark
eMj2uE1.jpg

African bat-eared fox
4fecfa2.jpg

Armadillo
yxSSUqL.jpg

Aye-aye (how the heck is that even an animal name?)
HUdlMx4.jpg

Chacoan Peccary
Hpr0cYQ.jpg

Echidna Puggle (didn't know it was called a puggle)
8QLjJ1e.jpg

Mouse deer
vJ4ykGU.jpg

Dumbo octopus
KbLrOiF.gif

Back