Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

The salt water aquarium hobby just suffered a major blow. The Fiji minister of fisheries just banned all coral collecting. If this stays in effect, it won't kill the industry but it will shrink tremendously.
The Ministry of Fisheries has banned all harvesting, purchasing, sales and export of live coral and aquarium rock (also known as live rock, coral rock or fossil coral) from the 28th of December, 2017.
All companies are to adhere to the following:
1. All harvesting, purchasing and sales of live rocks and live coral are now banned, and no export permits would be processed by the ministry.
2. The Convention in International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) Scientific Committee (SC) will be submitting to the Management Authority (MA) on 7th January 2018 that Live Coral and Live Rock is given a zero quota for 2018.
3. The Ministry of Fisheries and both the CITES MA and SC would be supporting the development of other sustainable options, particularly the development of farmed or cultured coral.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/12/29/fiji-coral-live-rock-banned-by-ministry-of-fisheries/

yeah, he's got such a chill life. I've read that he's a retired banker so he used his wealth to buy a patch of paradise in Thailand to pursue his passion- birds. But he is friends to all animals.

So which Bond villain is this guy?

so all coral has to be harvested from the wild? I dont know much about coral biology but I thought they could be grown in tanks?
There's different types of coral when you go the pet store to buy. Aqua cultured is by far the most available.
1. Wild - truly wild and obtained from highly regulated fisheries
2. maricultured - someone put the coral in the ocean, let it grow, and then harvested it for sale
3. aquacultured - it was grown in a tank somewhere.
You can grow coral in a tank but the growth rate will be no where near if you place it in the ocean and is a lot more expensive due to extras like electricity, employees, etc. There's a guy in North Dakota that makes a living growing coral
As of right now, maricultured is illegal because they can't pull them back out of the ocean. Until the fisheries minister clarifies their position on maricultured stuff, they hobby is kind of screwed. A lot of corals and fish come from that area because those water parameters are easiest to reproduce in the home aquarium.
Wild corals are very rare in the hobby and there's usually 1 or 2 quarter sized pieces collected. Then they're sold to someone that will propagate it and sell it to hobbyist.
Fish are different though. Most of the saltwater fish you see at a pet store are wild caught. There's only about a dozen or so SW fish that can be bred on a regular basis. Almost ever clown fish (Nemo) you see are captive bred.

Here's an older video on mariculturing.

Last edited:
There's different types of coral when you go the pet store to buy. Aqua cultured is by far the most available.
1. Wild - truly wild and obtained from highly regulated fisheries
2. maricultured - someone put the coral in the ocean, let it grow, and then harvested it for sale
3. aquacultured - it was grown in a tank somewhere.
You can grow coral in a tank but the growth rate will be no where near if you place it in the ocean and is a lot more expensive due to extras like electricity, employees, etc. There's a guy in North Dakota that makes a living growing coral
As of right now, maricultured is illegal because they can't pull them back out of the ocean. Until the fisheries minister clarifies their position on maricultured stuff, they hobby is kind of screwed. A lot of corals and fish come from that area because those water parameters are easiest to reproduce in the home aquarium.
Wild corals are very rare in the hobby and there's usually 1 or 2 quarter sized pieces collected. Then they're sold to someone that will propagate it and sell it to hobbyist.
Fish are different though. Most of the saltwater fish you see at a pet store are wild caught. There's only about a dozen or so SW fish that can be bred on a regular basis. Almost ever clown fish (Nemo) you see are captive bred.

Here's an older video on mariculturing.

I guess that means the value of your coral tank skyrocketed.

Look at the wake he's putting off! Boat motors should be rated in Crocodile Power (EDIT: might need to click for it to play).

Just from the screen cap I know the video, it's a pretty impressive animal

cannibalism is always disturbing.

A moving tile mosaic, the future is now!

Edit: Sorry for talking crap, watching on my ipad, the video was just a bunch of big pixels moving around lol On my comp, the vid works. Always weird to see a predator getting eaten, esp from it's own kind

Last edited:
Halitrephes maasi found off the coast of California

Maasi-Jellyfish.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like being in Paris and changing your mind at the last minute to not go to the zoo and have some baboons escape.

Nothing like being in Paris and changing your mind at the last minute to not go to the zoo and have some baboons escape.
We all know this is a fake alibi and Gabe's out there stealing monkeys.

The Fiji coral collection ban has been lifted!

lumpfish
balloonlumpfishdisplayedtokyou2rlgsncm5dl.jpg

Last edited:
Back