Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

I’m actually not going to watch that because I don’t want to give him views.
Primates make terrible pets, they often have their teeth ripped out and for every one that seems happy and healthy the majority do poorly and are dumped on monkey rescues that are already over burdened.
If a private person wants a primate and treats it and raises it like an actual monkey giving it an awesome large enclosure and the proper group dynamics. That would be fine, but don’t try and treat it like a person because they aren’t.

Primates make terrible pets, they often have their teeth ripped out and for every one that seems happy and healthy the majority do poorly and are dumped on monkey rescues that are already over burdened.
If a private person wants a primate and treats it and raises it like an actual monkey giving it an awesome large enclosure and the proper group dynamics. That would be fine, but don’t try and treat it like a person because they aren’t.

That isn't the case with this guy. He has a ton of videos on his channel with his monkey Boo and Boo seems well taken care of. I would guess if you don't like people owning monkeys you are also against "helping hands monkeys", which are usually Capuchin's like Boo?

That isn't the case with this guy. He has a ton of videos on his channel with his monkey Boo and Boo seems well taken care of. I would guess if you don't like people owning monkeys you are also against "helping hands monkeys", which are usually Capuchin's like Boo?

Even if his monkey is well taken care of, he’s not treating it like a monkey. He is in the small percentage of people that get away with it and many people such as yourself see these videos and become enamored with them and end up getting a pet monkey. Only to find out for the most part they make atrocious pets, as for helping hands I know all about them. I actually have a friend who works for them socializing the young animals, they have their teeth removed so they can’t injure their owners. While I don’t like the idea I recognize the independence they give to some people that need them, but service dogs are a much better option the majority of the time.

My baby gurl has been making great strides with our interactions. Here’s some shots of her with her Easter bunny and my crotch.
DMZiRDB.jpg

RXhAoFg.jpg

6c7wey4.jpg

hJwIkEN.jpg
K158c1c.jpg

Last one is post Easter dinner. Also one of my coworkers spelled her name wrong on the box. Lol

@Zookeeper Gabe you got a lot of stones to sit in there with a komodo. And I say this as a guy who once tried to play fight with a wild lynx.

Good work with them. How is she compared to say a wild one in terms of human socializing? Plans to release in the wild or keep on hand? How often do you feed?

@Zookeeper Gabe you got a lot of stones to sit in there with a komodo. And I say this as a guy who once tried to play fight with a wild lynx.

Good work with them. How is she compared to say a wild one in terms of human socializing? Plans to release in the wild or keep on hand? How often do you feed?
Thanks man, she’s my favorite. They are usually almost opposites Compared to a wild one when they are socialized properly in captivity. There are plenty of aggressive dragons in zoos people can’t go in with, but there’s just as many that tolerate and seem to enjoy human interaction.
She’s fed 3 times a week with rats, rabbit once a month and occasional enrichment of hard boiled eggs or mice. She will be here the rest of her life, there aren’t any reintroduction plans currently. The population while in some trouble isn’t critically endangered.

Wild ones aren’t as tolerant of people
XljdtSr.gif

Captive bred Blue Tuxedo Urchin babies in someone’s hand
Marine_Breeding_List_2018-78_Blue_Tuxedo_Urchins_90daysold_ChadVossen.jpg

This one looks very happy and has teeth. It takes a lot of work to keep little monkeys like that, but people have had them for pets for centuries. It isn’t anything new.

Living and working all over asia I have seen lots and lots of happy monkey pets, like everything it’s how you raise and take care of them and have to be aware that they can get pissed just like a house cat can, just they usually can inflickt more damage quickly than a house cat.

I’ve owned lots of wild animals as pets over the years, I normally find them hurt or alone in the woods as babies (someone probublay shot the mother etc) they take more time and precaution than grabbing a puppy at the local puppy mill but can be very happy good pets.

I’ve had raccoons bob cats and possums mostly but I’ve also had two coyotes , the coyotes eventually went into the wild as they got older but used to come back to the land on occasion and visit.

Hey Gabe will that Komodo reach close to full size adult capacity? That would be awesome.

Hey need some help here. A bird flew into my window a few mins ago and fucked itself up. Maybe he's just stunned maybe he really hurt himself I can't tell.

Whew nevermind. He flew away. Thought I was gonna have to take care of this fuckin bird for a while. What a relief.

Whew nevermind. He flew away. Thought I was gonna have to take care of this fuckin bird for a while. What a relief.
If it happens again, the best thing to do is put the bird in a cardboard box and try and find a local wildlife rehabilitator. Birds can be pretty complex, so professionals are best

If it happens again, the best thing to do is put the bird in a cardboard box and try and find a local wildlife rehabilitator. Birds can be pretty complex, so professionals are best
It was a small bird, never had that happen. I do however have those bastard Robin's who peck the fuck out of their reflection at the crack of dawn waking me up. One used to sit on my door handle and do it while shitting all over my doorstep. I had to put up Halloween decorations at spring last year as scarecrows lol.

Back