Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

I just learned today that O'Possum and Possum are two different things

I knew that in the US/New World people use both terms to refer to an 'Opossum' but I didn't know there was a separate marsupial species in Australia called a 'possum'

wtf

hey @Zookeeper Gabe got my first ball python clutch last week,and it looks like i might well have another soon.

seriously.fuck being the postman with that round.
aRQR3ey_700b.jpg

Problem is, i can't promise that dog can't rip of the rifle from his hands and kill him with it :D

hey @Zookeeper Gabe got my first ball python clutch last week,and it looks like i might well have another soon.
Awesome man, how many eggs are you incubating?
I have a piebald bp that I rescued a few years ago. But have no desire to breed them, I do enough with my geckos.

Awesome man, how many eggs are you incubating?
I have a piebald bp that I rescued a few years ago. But have no desire to breed them, I do enough with my geckos.
Only got 5 eggs,but mom isn't a big girl. Just got her to feed again as well.

Purple Siphonophore. It's not actually 1 animal, it's a bunch of tiny animals living in a group like a Portuguese Man o War
purple-siphonophore.jpg

980x.jpg

yea, thats why i was asking @Zookeeper Gabe opinion on it. but it looks like he big timed me and doesnt want to answer
Many apologies my good sir, I spaced and forgot to answer.
That’s not exactly a black or white answer, it’s totally possible(although rare) the groundhog had rabies. Another perfectly reasonable answer is the groundhog was injured and terrified and did what a lot of animals did when they are scared and injured. That’s being to try and act really tough so they can escape. Unless he blew its head off hopefully a rabies test will confirm.
Would I have shot the animal? No I would not have but police are very poorly trained when it comes to dealing with animals.

Nice Huge thread Gabe! Keep it going.

Greetings from a nature lover.

The other day I was watching a dinosaur series from BBC and there was a part that got me thinking. Smaller raptors running after a huge Argentinosaurus and biting of chunk of meat, but the big one did not die from the injuries, and the makers of the series had this idea of them being walking pantry and the carnivores was fine not them being dead. Ofcourse this is a theory and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Fastforward to our time. And to my questions.

How come big whales are not extinct? Sharks and killerwhales could also eat some chunks from the whales. Or am I deaming, and the whale somehow can outspeed them and kill them with a whip with their fins?

How come a big bird such as the Ostrich that can´t fly still be breathing in Africa? What has been their trick to avoid extinction at the wildest part of the world?

Nice Huge thread Gabe! Keep it going.

Greetings from a nature lover.

The other day I was watching a dinosaur series from BBC and there was a part that got me thinking. Smaller raptors running after a huge Argentinosaurus and biting of chunk of meat, but the big one did not die from the injuries, and the makers of the series had this idea of them being walking pantry and the carnivores was fine not them being dead. Ofcourse this is a theory and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Fastforward to our time. And to my questions.

How come big whales are not extinct? Sharks and killerwhales could also eat some chunks from the whales. Or am I deaming, and the whale somehow can outspeed them and kill them with a whip with their fins?

How come a big bird such as the Ostrich that can´t fly still be breathing in Africa? What has been their trick to avoid extinction at the wildest part of the world?

There are some species that still make a living out of nipping bites off of much larger animals. Cookie cutter sharks are one of the few that come to mind. Killer whales have been observed hunting blue whales it’s just rare and risky if the blue whale can land a blow it will most likely be deadly for the smaller predator. Ostriches do fine because they are fast, mean and plenty of other food items on the plains to keep predators full

There are some species that still make a living out of nipping bites off of much larger animals. Cookie cutter sharks are one of the few that come to mind. Killer whales have been observed hunting blue whales it’s just rare and risky if the blue whale can land a blow it will most likely be deadly for the smaller predator. Ostriches do fine because they are fast, mean and plenty of other food items on the plains to keep predators full

Nipping bites. LOL

Yeah, I supspected the land a blow scenario, but when I see it on nature movies it looks like in slow motion. Would the smaller sharks/killer whales not be able to swim away? I mean in sprint distance they must be lightyears ahead of a big clumsy blue whale. And while we are at it. I have never seen a whaleshark that has been doing fast movements. It is always slow. Would they not be the perfect target by a pack of sharks?

Ostriches are lucky to be one of many targets. That makes sense.

Thanks for reply.

Nipping bites. LOL

Yeah, I supspected the land a blow scenario, but when I see it on nature movies it looks like in slow motion. Would the smaller sharks/killer whales not be able to swim away? I mean in sprint distance they must be lightyears ahead of a big clumsy blue whale. And while we are at it. I have never seen a whaleshark that has been doing fast movements. It is always slow. Would they not be the perfect target by a pack of sharks?

Ostriches are lucky to be one of many targets. That makes sense.

Thanks for reply.

They are much faster but it only takes one blow from the much bigger animal so they don’t always take the chance. Plus sharks don’t really hunt cooperatively, but killer whales certainly do.

@Zookeeper Gabe what do you think about species such as the dingo going extinct? or at least threatened with it. On the one hand, it sucks to see any animal go. on the other hand they are an invasive species to australia. so what say you?

@Zookeeper Gabe what do you think about species such as the dingo going extinct? or at least threatened with it. On the one hand, it sucks to see any animal go. on the other hand they are an invasive species to australia. so what say you?
I don't think the dingo is an invasive species. Australia's pretty prickly about that subject and lists them as a native animal. A quick wiki read says that genetic studies suggest the dingo migrated to Oz during the low sea levels following the last ice-age ~8k years ago.

Hey @Zookeeper Gabe, do you know any good ways of identifying a fishing spider vs a wolf spider? A person at work brought in a pretty good sized one today and I thought it was a wolf spider and somebody else thought it was a fishing spider. I googled around but could get any solid info to help me tell the difference.

Hey @Zookeeper Gabe, do you know any good ways of identifying a fishing spider vs a wolf spider? A person at work brought in a pretty good sized one today and I thought it was a wolf spider and somebody else thought it was a fishing spider. I googled around but could get any solid info to help me tell the difference.
The easiest way is to go to either Bug Guide or a spider id group on Facebook and post it. You can also post it here and I’ll give it a whirl, but I’m not good enough to give identifiers but can id via pictures.

The easiest way is to go to either Bug Guide or a spider id group on Facebook and post it. You can also post it here and I’ll give it a whirl, but I’m not good enough to give identifiers but can id via pictures.
Unfortunately I was never able to get a shot of it. One of the guys took it home to show his young son (big spider fan apparently).

In other news, I helped a painted turtle cross the road today. Little dude wasn't a fan of being picked up (little legs flailing around, pretty cute actually) but I'm sure he was happy not to be squished by the oncoming pickup truck.

Hello again Gabe!

Was reading the news and saw this clip about a woman who was eaten by a big snake. How normal is this? Another case and I think it was in the same country(Indonesia) of a man that was sleeping from being drunk. That made more sense, you know an easy meal for the snake. But a wake and alert human being? How is that even possible?

The next clip also had me thinking. Is the inside of a snake as durable as the outside? I mean the gator was still alive during the deep throat process and why could it not harm the snake from the inside?

Back