Everything wrong can be traced back to the FOX deal.

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Prior to Fox it was basically Featherweight and bigger. There was no underdeveloped WMMA divisions, or the 125/135 mens divisions. The UFC was still on Spike - a single channel the fans could easily access which showed old UFC cards and even prelims for some PPVs that got you amped for the main cards. And the PPV cards were not as often, leading to stacked and exciting cards. You couldn't find a seat at Buffalo Wild Wing's.

But look at what's happened since coming to FOX. And today, you have the company with horrible ratings, low PPV buys, and fighters who are furious enough to sue the parent company. Nothing about the FOX deal has made the UFC look better or more entertaining.

method=get&s=robot.gif

I will never forget those weird ass videos before the cain vs. Jds fight. What. The. Fuck.

The Fox deal led to GSP's retirement as well. Anderson also broke his foot because of Fox.

Anderson also broke his foot because of Fox.

Exactly.

If the Chris wouldn't have beat Maia on FOX he would have never got a shot at Anderson.

Mind. Blown

I remember when the UFC brought back the lightweight division, and people complained it was the beginning of the end...

You could clearly see the UFC going in a downward spiral prior to the FOX deal, but it does play a big part in the decline.

The Fox deal led to GSP's retirement as well. Anderson also broke his foot because of Fox.

GSP was fighting about twice a year. What do you think was carrying the UFC to popularity the other 10 months when GSP wasn't fighting ? The UFC was packaged better under Spike. It fit them better and their company put out a better product.

FOX deal was horrible for the fighters. This ideal of 'exposure' isn't really relevant for MMA fighters. The sport is frowned upon anyway.

GSP was fighting about twice a year. What do you think was carrying the UFC to popularity the other 10 months when GSP wasn't fighting ?

Anderson, healthy Cain, Lesnar, various other people in different periods.... UFC may have been "packaged" a bit better under SPIKE, but the main problem with UFC today is that there are less exciting fights due to injuries and stars leaving the sport.

I think Rogan was more upset over this than the spilled ice.

Rogan also had to go through this because of FOX:

One of the most awkward things I've ever seen, holy shit man

I think Rogan was more upset over this than the spilled ice.

Rogan also had to go through this because of FOX:

Frankie Edgar: Joe, I'm not impressed by your performance!

It's amazing how for some folks, "back in the day" was like a month ago.

The lower divisions are a good deal. I agree with the fox deal though. Spike is in just as many homes if not more than fs1. The only problem is, spike wasn't willing to shell out cash like fox did.

If the ufc would have stayed on spike but still did everything that they're currently doing, they would be in much better shape IMO.

Back