Crime Deadly gun Attack on French Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the french terrorists disapproved of their government's actions, they should have voted against it. Not started shooting civilians. They are* French men first, and muslim men second, and should have remembered that.^

*sorry, were.

no, they were not. people are first whatever they decide they are first. and usually whatever aspect of their identity(nationality, religion, sexual orientation, political views, race, etc) they feel most threatened is what people value most.

as they were muslims first and for them islam was much more important than France, they should have fucked off to somewhere islam is given the respect they thought it deserves and let the french have a french lifestyle in France.

That's why I don't respect religion.
Because there shouldn't be more than one way of interpreting religion, it should be all or nothing, not constantly moulded to suit each person's way of life.
Most people just seem to hedge their bets when it comes to religion, they'll say they are Christian 'just in case' but essentially they won't follow the religion at all.

Religion is so flimsy and ridiculous, that's why people have gotten away with twisting it and re-shaping it for so many years.

Bad post.

There's plenty of good reasons to not respect religion, but yours is a pretty weak. You can shit on art and literature for the same thing.

Nah man, they're cool.

The "uncool" label sanction has been lifted. They have more balls than USA to exercise their right to freedom of expression.

The Kouachi brothers were expressing themselves under that freedom.

Bad post.

There's plenty of good reasons to not respect religion, but yours is a pretty weak. You can shit on art and literature for the same thing.

Well it's not the only reason I don't respect religion.
The fact that it's complete nonsense is the main one.

Religion is basically an urban myth that stuck.

Because there shouldn't be more than one way of interpreting religion, it should be all or nothing, not constantly moulded to suit each person's way of life.
Most people just seem to hedge their bets when it comes to religion, they'll say they are Christian 'just in case' but essentially they won't follow the religion at all.

Religion is so flimsy and ridiculous, that's why people have gotten away with twisting it and re-shaping it for so many years.

Its also faith, tradition and hope. I don't think many christians expect other christians to follow many of the morr traditional viewpoints of prr marital sex and contraception and stuff like that.

Well there are reports of French sleeper cells being activated
And they decide to have a march with a million people and world leaders
Nothing could possibly go wrong

From the same US intelligence sources that said that the Kouchi brothers had been killed on the evening of the original attack?

Nah man, they're cool.

The "uncool" label sanction has been lifted. They have more balls than USA to exercise their right to freedom of expression.

I don't know if "free speech" is codified in French law. But, this is a lesson in that "rights" are things we exercise and assert. A piece of paper means nothing without the will to defend.

Religion, a MAN MADE institution was created and perpetuated for no other reason than for one small group of people to control large numbers of others. It's a racket.

My issue really isn't with the priest/imam/rabbi class. Their motives are simple and clear. My issue is with the stupid asses that follow them.

Religion, a MAN MADE institution was created and perpetuated for no other reason than for one small group of people to control large numbers of others. It's a racket.

Bad Religion explains religion in 3:23 minutes.

[YT]IIAptWrcmcs[/YT]

Religion, a MAN MADE institution was created and perpetuated for no other reason than for one small group of people to control large numbers of others.

Religion is what started civilization. just saying.

My issue really isn't with the priest/imam/rabbi class. Their motives are simple and clear. My issue is with the stupid asses that follow them.

Nearly everything was created with that purpose. Including government, and society/civilization itself.

Nearly everything was created with that purpose. Including government, and society/civilization itself.

Yeah, but having the sanction of "God" helps. I don't say this as an atheist. I like the idea of metaphysics. But, those who claim to be the agents of God are using it in many cases for pure evil.

Yeah, but having the sanction of "God" helps. I don't say this as an atheist. I like the idea of metaphysics. But, those who claim to be the agents of God are using it in many cases for pure evil.

Our God has always been violence. That is every human's God. Without violence, God has nothing. What actually decides things in this world? I learned this very young. I came into existence many years ago. I found myself in this house, these people called my "parents" had supposedly lived there for a while, before my arrival. And these people are saying that I cannot do certain things, and should do others.

Why should I abide by their will? What is their justification? Where did their authority come from? Who decides the rules here? What decided this? So I tested it. It is my father's house, because he can kick my ass. Simple as that.

Religion is what started civilization. just saying.

Religion is a component in early civilizations, not the reason it started. If by civilization you mean culture, then you might have a point. But you need to distinguish the two.

Religion is by all accounts an outdated solution to the vices of mankind. It is no longer necessary to rely on the fear of God to be good people. We've evolved past this point where we can challenge the assertions of what is Good as depicted in holy scriptures by pointing out their inconsistencies. I think we need to look beyond millennia old documents and push the boundaries of what it means to be human and how do we build a new society by contextualizing today's society and the challenges we currently face. It's OK to eat pork now because we've learned how to prepare it so it is safe to eat. We don't have to ban homosexuality anymore out of fear that we won't reproduce sufficiently to ensure the survival of our species. If some want to blow themselves up for the sake of their belief system then I'd say they're walking contradictions but I rest my case

Religion is a component in early civilizations, not the reason it started. If by civilization you mean culture, then you might have a point. But you need to distinguish the two.

Religion is by all accounts an outdated solution to the vices of mankind. It is no longer necessary to rely on the fear of God to be good people. We've evolved past this point where we can challenge the assertions of what is Good as depicted in holy scriptures by pointing out their inconsistencies. I think we need to look beyond millennia old documents and push the boundaries of what it means to be human and how do we build a new society by contextualizing today's society and the challenges we currently face. It's OK to eat pork now because we've learned how to prepare it so it is safe to eat. We don't have to ban homosexuality anymore out of fear that we won't reproduce sufficiently to ensure the survival of our species. If some want to blow themselves up for the sake of their belief system then I'd say they're walking contradictions but I rest my case

I was telling somebody that separation of church and state made all people drop their religions at the front door of America, and pick up the biggest one ever. Money. Or capitalism. Christianity is still the spirit of capitalism as Max Weber said. It needed Christianity.

The novel American Gods. "This is a bad land for Gods." The US created a vacuum, that created the most powerful money God.

More than a tourist in America, but not a native, Neil Gaiman offers an outside-in and inside-out perspective on the soul and spirituality of the country--our obsessions with money and power, our jumbled religious heritage and its societal outcomes, and the millennial decisions we face about what's real and what's not.

You see, I am the only one of us who brings in any money. The other two cannot make money fortune-telling. This is because they only tell the truth, and the truth is not what people want to hear. It is a bad thing, and it troubles people, so they do not come back. But I can lie to them, tell them what they want to hear. So I bring home the bread.

Gods die. And when they truly die they are unmourned and unremembered. Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end.

"This is a bad land for gods," said Shadow. As an opening statement it wasn't Friends, Romans, countrymen, but it would do. "You've probably all learned that. The old gods are ignored. The new gods are as quickly taken up as they are abandoned, cast aside for the next big thing. Either you've been forgotten, or you're scared you're going to be rendered obsolete, or maybe you're just getting tired of existing on the whim of people."

Shadow shook his head. "You know," he said, "I think I would rather be a man than a god. We don

Why should I abide by their will? What is their justification? Where did their authority come from? Who decides the rules here? What decided this? So I tested it. It is my father's house, because he can kick my ass. Simple as that.

I'm not understanding what this has to do with those asserting the authority of "God." It seems like a challenge to religion. I would agree.

But mainly for good.

N good far outweighs the bad

Even in Islam

Religion is by all accounts an outdated solution to the vices of mankind. It is no longer necessary to rely on the fear of God to be good people.

Religion provided an answer to all things that could not be understood but is this not the purpose it still serves today? Morality and repentance are not the "purpose", but merely an explanation. The purpose religion serves and will continue to serve is to provide "answers" to the unknown. In the past it may have been used to explain the lack of rain to yield crops and attract animals, in the present it could be used to explained why there is war or disease or why that piano fell on uncle Bob's head. The utility it serves is the exact same. People want to know things and religion is a form of magic beans and crystal ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back