Trying to Throw Weight Around

AM Session:

Snatch+HS: 245x1+2x4

Notes: These were pretty good today. Timing felt a bit off, which I'm assuming is because of being out of practice and the weight gain, but still a good day.

Power Clean: 310x2x4

Notes: No belt. Pretty easy.

Front Squat: 395x1

Notes: 395 was pretty easy. 445 was my number but as soon as I unracked it, I knew it wasn't going to happen, so I dropped it. I have to squat heavy again this afternoon, anyway.

PM Session:

Block Clean & Jerk: 355x1
320x2+1x2

http://instagram.com/p/x7snKLSfzN

Notes: No belt or ACE wraps. These felt pretty solid.

Squat: 485x2

Notes: Five wasn't going to happen today, either. I think all of the volume accrued over the week is killing my legs by the end of the week.

I didn't do my back off set because I had and athlete come out, so coaching duties took over.

Push Press: 255x5x3

Notes: Really easy.

Ab stuff tomorrow after I'm done with the other stuff.

AM Session:

Front Squat: 330x3x3

Notes: No belt or ACE wraps. Knees were kind of achy but wasn't hard. It took me until the last set to really get warmed up.

Snatch+HS: 235x1+2x5

Notes: Really good today, especially off the floor. Good speed and positions, as well as finishing through the floor.

Power Jerk+Split Jerk: 265x1x5

Notes: I'm really liking the thumbless grip. We'll see how it holds up at 90+% weights. I did hit 160 off blocks without a belt fairly easy on Friday, though, so that is a good sign.

This is a back off week and then increase again next week.

PM Session:

Clean & Jerk: 285x3+1x4

http://instagram.com/p/yDEIr9Sfys/

Notes: Through in the jerk to get some more work in with the thumbless grip. Really, really good. I have a really stable rack and drive under pretty well.

Squat: 285x3

Notes: The eccentric part of the squat was really bothering my left hip today. I am going to take the rest of the week off squatting and will probably just power everything since we are backing off this week, anyway.

Stiff Leg Deadlift: 345x8x3

Back Ext./Ab Stuff: 135x10x3/3x20

Last edited:
Power Clean & Jerk: 265x3+1x5

Notes: Easy and good positions.

Snatch Pulls: 285x5x4

Notes: These felt really good today. I hit all the positions I wanted to hit. I took mental notes of the video Hookgrip posted of Colin Burns doing snatch pulls and tried to make them look like that.

Bench/DB Row: 225x5x4/80x10x4

Lat. Raise/Reverse Fly: 20x10x3/20x10x3

Notes: My hip was a bit sore this morning but after a very extended warmup, everything felt really good. I had no pain during anything today, so that is a good sign.

I will probably continue with no squatting, as well as power everything this week, just to give it some time to heal.

Thanks, brah.

I don't think it is much to worry about. Its been something that has been off and on since last June. If I just continue to warm up properly and stay on top of stretching and tissue work, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Hi Jake. I'm feeling really inspired to get into O-lifting eventually. Any recommendations for being self taught?

Would you start with the full movements and high frequency? Or do you need to learn the lifts in stages? Once I'm better I might join the University WL Club.

I really like our (Cal Strength's) system for teaching the lifts, which is the top down the approach. Basically you'll start from them hip and work down to the floor.

If there is a coach in the area, though, I'd definitely try and get with them, if possible. Having eyes on your lifting helps an enormous amount.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tjanks Jake! I'll keep that in mind!

No problem, man. We have YouTube videos up on the approach, as well, which I didn't mention.

AM Session:

Power Clean+HPC & Jerk: 255x1+2+1x5

Notes: No belt. These were all really easy. My hip felt fine today, but I did powers anyway. I have block snatches this afternoon, which I may do the full lift if everything still feels fine.

BTN Snatch Press: 135x5x5

PM Session:

Block Snatch: 265x3x4

http://instagram.com/p/yIbcEayf8g

Notes: These are the best snatches I've had in awhile. Speed is starting to feel solid and positions were way better than they've been. No hip pain at all, so I went with the full lift.

Deficit Snatch Deadlift (3.5" deficit): 330x5x4

GHR: Bandx10x3

Notes: Ran out of time, so I'll do that ab work tomorrow.

I really like our (Cal Strength's) system for teaching the lifts, which is the top down the approach. Basically you'll start from them hip and work down to the floor.

I have to say, I *really* liked this method. I guess partly because I had deadlifted so much, pulling from the ground felt really awkward and counter-intuitive. But when you start from the hip like in the CalStrength videos it feels like the technique is almost automatic.

I have to say, I *really* liked this method. I guess partly because I had deadlifted so much, pulling from the ground felt really awkward and counter-intuitive. But when you start from the hip like in the CalStrength videos it feels like the technique is almost automatic.

Well, it makes sense because the less distance the bar has to travel, the less likely you are to screw up somewhere. Once you get to a certain point, all lifts are made or missed below the knee, anyway. That is why you see all these huge lifts from blocks, like Lovchev's 220 or Ilya's 205 (snatch).

That also shows you how important it is to be in position by the time you are to your knees because that is where the power really come in to play.

Power Snatch: 235x3x4

Notes: First time all training cycle that I actually hit all of these. I didn't use straps because I don't like how much I've used them lately.

Power Clean: 310x3x4

Notes: Didn't feel like doing full cleans, so I just did powers.

Split Jerk: 330x2x3

Notes: Not very good. Things were feeling forward.

Incline Retract & Row/Planks: 155x10x3/3x1:00

YTW/V Ups: 5x10x3/45x15x3

Notes: Did the ab stuff from yesterday but didn't feel like doing the death march/back ext. superset. I'll make that up tomorrow since I'm not going to squat.

Hip felt good today, though, and should be good to go to start squatting again Monday.

I keep meaning to retry the DEATH MARCH. then I remember why its called death march and go do some elliptical

I really don't mind it. It's the back extensions in that superset that I really hate.

AM Session:

Snatch: 245x3x4

Notes: These were supposed to be Power Snatch+HS but at 225, I decided I was just going to do triples. I didn't want to use straps, I hate power snatching, and my jump back being huge with hang snatches all lead me to that decision. The first set was a little rough but the last three got progressively better, with the last two being pretty damn good.

Power Clean: 305x2x4

Notes: Hip felt pretty much fine today after a solid warmup. Will definitely get back to squatting next week.

PM Session:

Block Clean & Jerk: 375x1
340x2+1

Notes: These were all really, really good. No misses and jerk felt really solid. I was supposed to do two more back off doubles but I dropped the bar a little too hard on the first rep and broke the blocks. I wasn't going to set up another set of them for two sets, so I just moved on.

Push Press: 265x5x3

Death March/Back Ext.: 80x20x3/135x10x3

Notes: I decided I'm going to have a bro day tomorrow instead of the normal Saturday stuff because I'm a little mentally cooked right now.

Wow- jerks were very crisp and controlled.

In that Cal Strength video a while back when you were dueling with Spenser Moorman, didn't you start missing them around that weight? Or was it a little more?

Wow- jerks were very crisp and controlled.

In that Cal Strength video a while back when you were dueling with Spenser Moorman, didn't you start missing them around that weight? Or was it a little more?

Thanks, yo. No, that day I didn't miss until 185. I missed 185 twice, 186 once (which was for the win), and ended up missing 190, too, but I was just told to clean it to push him.

Things got really rough with my jerks the last half of the year, but switching to the thumbless grip has been a game changer for me. I feel much more vertical and don't have to fight the weight to keep it over my COG.

Back