Tom Petty to get songwriting royalties for Sam Smith song "Stay With Me"

jackietreehorn8

fine
@Silver
Reaction score
Apparently the smash hit song "Stay With Me" by Sam Smith was deemed to be so much like Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down" that Petty has been listed as a writer on the song and will receive a 12.5% writing credit and royalties for the song. This was actually settled out of court - it sounds like Smith gave it up voluntarily as soon as people started noting the similarities.

http://www.nme.com/news/sam-smith/82462?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=kanyewest

Except...for me....what similarities? I am not very musically inclined - I don't play anything and never have...can't sing for shit either. But I listen to music like anyone else does and really can't hear anything alike in these songs. Certainly not enough to think it was some sort of blatant rip off of the Tom Petty song. Especially since I had always believed it was very hard to prove this kind of thing and artists rarely have success trying to prove someone stole their songwriting ideas.

What do you think Mayberry?

[YT]nUTXb-ga1fo#t=60[/YT]

[YT]pB-5XG-DbAA[/YT]

Sounds like the same song, with the lyrics switched. When Petty plays it live, he often slows it down a bit, making the choruses essentially identical.

Full disclosure, I think the Backstreet Boys ripped off Bruce Springsteen's "Atlantic City" on "I Want It That Way," but I know that's not really a reasonable thought.

The Chris now has another option for his walkout song.

Not surprised by this can's plagiarism.

Tom Petty is the man though.

can't listen to a dude sing like that

The hooks in those songs are pretty much the same though. Petty had a strong case.

Thing is, there really ain't much room to maneuver in popular music.

In other news, new music doesn't exist.

Singing like a bitch, is what I think he means.

Dream Theater is like an All Star team with Jay Cutler as their QB.

Labrie is a can.

haha word man. I respect his range, just not the sound

One down, Red Hot Chili Peppers to go. Dani California my ass.

johna-newman-at-the-mobo-awards-2013--1382235607-view-3.jpg

Kevin-Garnett-Reaction-at-2013-Dunk-Contest.gif

Back