Tom Petty to get songwriting royalties for Sam Smith song "Stay With Me"

didn't this happen to coldplay a few years ago

Coldplay ripped off Joe Satriani, and it was settled. That being said, it was far more egregious than this is, pretty sure there are youtube videos with the coldplay vocals pasted over satchs song and it sounds the exact same, except better.

This is pretty much how LZ got away with ripping off so much shit over the course of their career. They kept their plagiarism more subtle and never straight up jacked hooks/choruses.
Robert Plant has admitted to swiping songs with the intention of re-writing lyrics or chord progressions but frequently managed to never getting around to making any changes. He didn't seem very concerned with any wrong-doing, which makes it sound like this was a common method back before intellectual property became a conspicuous negotiating point.

I get the idea music back then was like bodybuilding back then.

Personally I think the symbiotic relationship works. Great bands expose new music, and if they themselves are exposed as thieves, money will change hands. Good enough.

Yeah I can hear it for sure.

I hate bands and artists who rip off songs. I can't think about Zeppelin now without smdh.

It's disgusting.

It is almost exactly the same melody and chord progression, but that melody and chord progression is so incredibly basic that it's hard to see it as direct copying.

There's only so many ways you play a couple notes.

This is like Steal Away vs. What a fool believes, all over again

[YT]bi_WayqBVYg[/YT]

[YT]dJe1iUuAW4M[/YT]

The fact that he performs as sam smith should..not shocked at this. Lazy Stage name..lazy craftsman.

Meh. I'm a big Tom Petty fan, but this is such a basic and common descending chord progression. Shit, you might as well say they both ripped off Ben E. King's Stand By Me - he uses a similar chord progression as well.

Go ahead, listen to Sam Smith at 1:00 and Ben E King below:

I hadn't made the connection, but it is true. The chorus is the same, but pussified. I Won't Back Down is also a better song.

Hey now, James isn't that bad. He's no Michael Eriksen though.

in Falling into Infinity he's least annoying because he doesn't sing too high. I wonder what was the reason for that

The Rolling Stones gave KD Lang a songwriting credit several years ago because one of their songs sounded a lot like "Constant Craving". It was about as similar as Sam Smith & Tom Petty's songs are.

Not the biggest rip off like lady madona/ what I got or some nights/cecila

How many chord and time signature combinations are possible?

I don't think they sound alike and I like Smith's better.

Yeah that's right. Come at me.

Quite a bit but most music only uses a few

Can't believe they caved on this.

Smith is British. Why shouldn't he be allowed to have eight seconds of a song be the same melody and key (while changing the lyrics, tempo, timbre, meaning, etc) of an artist from a different country? How many American pop artists have stolen entire lyrical sections or melodies from lesser known American artists, much less foreign artists? Literally every Tom Petty song ever written could be stolen from the most popular Estonian artist of all time and no one would know or give a shit. All music is stolen. I Won't Back Down is a fuckin three chord song. All of its components are unoriginal.

So bizarre. I didn't think much of Sam Smith until I heard him live a while back. I don't know what his songwriting ability is like, but his vocals are insane. He's earned his bread.

Sam Smith fanboys jimmies are rustled ITT

Smith's song is bland and neutered.

Petty's got the panache, its got much more heart.

The most blatant rip-off I've ever heard was when Radiohead stole The Hollies song The Air that I Breathe and renamed it Creep.

Don't you think a company would sue Radiohead, especially for Creep royalties, if the songs were actually identical?

Back