The (DYEL Status) Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
If America put a little bit of effort into footie, or rugby they will likely be world beaters. The resources, money, athletes.
Yeah. For me, the biggest thing is the culture and institutions. Like college sports, scholarships etc.

In Australia, everyone can go to university. Basically for free. No one uses sports as a ticket to college....There's no such thing as student debt (at least not in same way, you pay it as a small amount of tax way later in life)

So there's that. The cultural/economic aspect, plus the huge amounts of money for facilities etc

After watching the combines. I think Football players take the cake.

Also, dat Alvey!

I haven't watched a UFC in ages. I turned it on when this guy's being introduced and I'm thiking to myself WTF? Then the Lulz ensued. One fucking punch in 4 minutes and he knocks his block off.

You misunderstood, or perhaps I wasn't clear. The thing about global audience was an aside, though I do think people from the US thinking NFL is "global" helps them to maintain the myth that their national sports heroes are the best athletes in the world, rather than just America.

I should mention I'm a "phone" poster. Every thing I post is from my phone. I think it makes me come off as inarticulate lol

It's not even really a conscious decision. We (Americans) just assume we're the best without even rationalizing it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_Olympic_Games_medal_table Over twice as many medals as any other country, and I doubt we have the same kind of Olympic emphasis that some other countries do. As a fan of weightlifting, I know there are plenty of countries that pay weightlifters as professional athletes... not that America is doing shit in weightlifting. As kids in America, we all aspire to play basketball, baseball, football, or hockey. Call it mixing of genetics, call it doping, resources, training... call it whatever. The results are there. I don't see any other country producing a Lebron James or an Adrian Peterson or anything even really close, regardless of what the emphasis is on. Can it be done? I don't doubt it.

Jonah was defintely a beast, but last night those linemen were fucking impressive.

Jonah was defintely a beast, but last night those linemen were fucking impressive.

I didn't see it but I've no doubt they were. I just think it's shortsighted to say that no other country has produced an athlete who comes close to the top US basketball and football players.

Can't believe there has been no mention of the Crafty Cockney yet.

I don't care much for sensationalized articles that try to extrapolate 40 times from other shit. A lasered 40 time is the only thing that qualifies. And tons of NFL players made the leap at a later age, some of them not playing until college or later, debunking the idea that you need to start at 8 years old like the article insinuates. So I figured Youtube would have the answers. The guy is a freak, but he'd be just another guy in the NFL. There's no shortage of guys 6'4"+ 240+ lbs. with 40"+ verts and sub 4.6 40s. Whenever it comes to guys like this, the truth is often greatly stretched. Even with the case of all-time top end American athletes like Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson, the stories outdo the man. Wikipedia says this Jonah Lomu guy is 260 lbs, the article starts with 283, and then rounds up to 290 at the end. As the story continues, Lomu gets bigger and faster with each paragraph.

The one thing I took away from the video is that rugby players suck dogshit at tackling. I thought NFL players were the only ones who couldn't tackle, but it seems to be an epidemic.

Every single underdog won last night with the exception of one fight. That's insane considering one was +725 and a few above +300.

I think Mir should retire on the win. He won't, but I think he should.

I think Mir should retire on the win. He won't, but I think he should.

Mir was my original favorite fighter as my first exposure to UFC was watching him jack up Tim Sylvia. I'd like to see him stop before he gets pummeled again.

I have never taken to Mir. I don't know why, there is something about him that irritates me, always seems so smug. He's never going to be top 5 again and some of his losses have been savage beatings (even dating back to the Ian Freeman loss at the first UK UFC)

Mir was my fav UFC heavyweight. I agree with Jim. But I'd like ot see him make a run.

I really don't want a brock rubber match.

I agree it was a rubbish article, I just threw it in there as it was referencing Lomu in the context of the NFL.
LZD put it well earlier; it's unlikely that anyone outside of the US would end up in the NFL, that doesn't mean that they're inferior athletes.

Mir has taken a ridiculous amount of head trauma. He's decent as a broadcaster. Time to get out.

Mir has taken a ridiculous amount of head trauma. He's decent as a broadcaster. Time to get out.

Agreed. I'm sure I spoke with Frank's brother doing security at a Vegas boxing event years ago. It was the spitting image of him.

I'm sure the best athletes in America end up in the NFL or NBA. That's a decent pool (the American population) over 300 million.

But the best athletes in the rest of the world don't end up there. They go to Soccer, Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, whatever random local sport is played (Australian Rules Football...hell, table tennis if that's all you got).

If some dude with amazing genetics is born in China, New Zealand.... Fiji, whatever, they most likely ain't playin' NFL.... they'll gravitate towards their "local" sports, play them as a child, and so on. The best athletes really (however you define athlete, which is entirely subjective), could be anywhere, in any sport. I guess what we could say though, is that not all sports "bring out" genetic human potential like NFL, NBA, Rugby.

Just as an aside, and I'm not accusing you of this at all Dr.Bdan(!!!) but America is like a huge fish bowl when it comes to the NFL. People think it is ubiquitous or something.

Barely anyone outside of America watches the NFL EVER. I personally couldn't name a single player (current or historical), nor do I know any of the positions bar quarterback. Neither can/does anyone I know. What little I do know mostly comes from Hollywood movies, for example, the trope that the most desirable guy in highschool plays "quarterback".... whatever that means...

Likewise, I am sure NO ONE in America knows anything about Cricket. But guess what? The Superbowl only had 112 million viewers....

...a crappy "group stage" match in the cricket world cup (India vs. Pakistan) just had 1.5 BILLION viewers.... just a group stage game!

I think the bolded is the biggest point. American Football, basketball, and rugby require a pretty high level of natural athletic ability (as opposed to skill). The sky-high salaries in North American sports provide a huge incentive for anyone with any amount of athletic ability to pursue a professional career. Even if you sit on the bench you can still make millions of dollars so you end up with a huge pool of top level athletes competing for the spots.

Compare that to rugby, where according to this article the highest paid rugby player makes about $1 million/year and #10 makes around $650,000 (USD). So not that there aren't elite athletes in rugby but I would imagine that a role player makes even less money so some potentially great players might choose another career rather than rolling the dice on rugby.

From Friday, talking about a Texas Method style progression vs. heavy/light/medium for my bench:
The original program uses 5x5 but I've had good success with 3x5 in the past. The gist of it is this:

Mon: 3x5, sets across
Wed: lighter day (the original program is 2x5 @ 80% of Monday's weight, I'm doing 5 sets of push-ups)
Fri: Work up to heavy singles, doubles, or triples, trying for PRs every week.

Instead I was thinking of doing 3x5 sets across @ 90% of Monday's weight on Friday. So basically a heavy/light/medium setup. So instead of doing 3-5 heavy reps I'll be doing 15 moderately heavy reps.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back