The (DYEL Status) Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea who any of those posters are/were.

I checked my old posts a little while ago for teh lulz. More so the old S&P ones.

For some reason I want Mir to win. I think it's because I feel sorry for him, he's getting on in age. That and I think bigfoot will beat him handily. Retire to the good life Mir!

Snap S&C Poll:

Who can bench more: Mir or JimRussel?

That makes me very happy. Prime Mir is the guy I want to roll like someday. I just wish it had been a Kimura or something.

Bigfoot looks like shit. Has since the Hunt fight and no TRT. He looked in terrible shape.

I'm a bit late to the party but CrossFit or gymnasts as the best athletes? GTFO.

I agree that the best athletes are probably in the NFL. Not that other sports don't require you to be a great athlete (e.g rugby) but they don't have the money payoff so the best athletes don't go there.

I'm a bit late to the party but CrossFit or gymnasts as the best athletes? GTFO.

I agree that the best athletes are probably in the NFL. Not that other sports don't require you to be a great athlete (e.g rugby) but they don't have the money payoff so the best athletes don't go there.
I'm sure the best athletes in America end up in the NFL or NBA. That's a decent pool (the American population) over 300 million.

But the best athletes in the rest of the world don't end up there. They go to Soccer, Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, whatever random local sport is played (Australian Rules Football...hell, table tennis if that's all you got).

If some dude with amazing genetics is born in China, New Zealand.... Fiji, whatever, they most likely ain't playin' NFL.... they'll gravitate towards their "local" sports, play them as a child, and so on. The best athletes really (however you define athlete, which is entirely subjective), could be anywhere, in any sport. I guess what we could say though, is that not all sports "bring out" genetic human potential like NFL, NBA, Rugby.

Just as an aside, and I'm not accusing you of this at all Dr.Bdan(!!!) but America is like a huge fish bowl when it comes to the NFL. People think it is ubiquitous or something.

Barely anyone outside of America watches the NFL EVER. I personally couldn't name a single player (current or historical), nor do I know any of the positions bar quarterback. Neither can/does anyone I know. What little I do know mostly comes from Hollywood movies, for example, the trope that the most desirable guy in highschool plays "quarterback".... whatever that means...

Likewise, I am sure NO ONE in America knows anything about Cricket. But guess what? The Superbowl only had 112 million viewers....

...a crappy "group stage" match in the cricket world cup (India vs. Pakistan) just had 1.5 BILLION viewers.... just a group stage game!

LZD, those were all pretty decent arguments... until that last sentence.

All the Indians I've ever seen compete in any sport are unathletic as fuck.

...a crappy "group stage" match in the cricket world cup (India vs. Pakistan) just had 1.5 BILLION viewers.... just a group stage game!

Lol.

India is the second most populous country (almost tied with China in first place). Came 55th in the 2012 Olympics medal table.

Pakistan is the 6th most populous country and didn't get a single medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_medal_table

You misunderstood, or perhaps I wasn't clear. The thing about global audience was an aside, though I do think people from the US thinking NFL is "global" helps them to maintain the myth that their national sports heroes are the best athletes in the world, rather than just America.

I should mention I'm a "phone" poster. Every thing I post is from my phone. I think it makes me come off as inarticulate lol

Though upon reading I never said anything about Indians being athleticand did say "as an aside" :)

I'd agree with this. There's millions of Indians over here, not that that's a problem, but they play sports in the centre where I work and they're awful. Badminton, squash, basketball... Worst is football, it's like watching a bunch of kids. But having said that some of the kids who play here will actually school them.
And some of the younger guys train in the gym in all white, white everything, skintight white vests, even white sweatbands.

Disclaimer: not painting every Indian with the same brush, I'm sure there are loads of really good athletes in Indian. Like LZD said, they do love their cricket.

Also, like LZD I couldn't name a single NFL player, or any position outside quarterback. America don't like playing team sports the rest of the world are good at. Rugby and football is huge, and America suck at both.

Last edited:
If America put a little bit of effort into footie, or rugby they will likely be world beaters. The resources, money, athletes.

I'd agree with this. There's millions of Indians over here, not that that's a problem, but they play sports in the centre where I work and they're awful. Badminton, squash, basketball... Worst is football, it's like watching a bunch of kids. But having said that some of the kids who play here will actually school them.
And some of the younger guys train in the gym in all white, white everything, skintight white vests, even white sweatbands.

Disclaimer: not painting every Indian with the same brush, I'm sure there are loads of really good athletes in Indian. Like LZD said, they do love their cricket.
There are some utterly amazing athletes in Indian cricket who can smash the ball 120m, bowl 155 kmph, and take insane diving catches with one hand (not wearing any gloves of course). They would make any of us look completely stupid.

Not saying any of this is any more or less impressive athletically than sports x, y z. Just pointing out that there are fantastic athletes among them.

Not many indian kids grow up playing nfl, soccer, etc. Its all cricket or field hockey.

Given the socioeconomic background and cultural values of many Indians, there's also a much bigger emphasis on study. Sports aren't anywhere near as valorised. That plays a big part, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back