Where would you/where to train full time?

Noshoesnoshoes

White Belt
Reaction score
I searched the board and didn't really find a good answer, and was wondering what you guys think is the best current competition school in the US is, and where you would personally train if you could train full time?

I had an idea already but wanted to know your guys opinion on it since I know it is a pretty big topic in BJJ for people to talk about training full time and that they wish they could and where they would if they could. don't turn this into a sherdog life coach thing, its nobody's place but your own to decide these things. Lets say, Atos in Cali, Art of jiu-jitsu with Mendes bros, Marcelo Garcia in NY, Megaton in AZ, Drysdale in NV, those are obvious and I would like to know people's opinions on those places, as well.

If I was interested in winning competitions? Atos SD.

If I just wanted to be a jiu-jitsu bum? Either Ralph Gracie SF or Garth Taylor's school in Santa Cruz.

Last edited:
Comp school in US? Atos in SD hands down.

I wouldn't mind Cybrog's school in Miami. It's right near the beach.

Competition:
1.) Crazy 88 in MD
2.) Alliance ATL
3.) Marcelo Garcia in NYC
4.) Alvarez BJJ in TX
I don't consider myself close to World Class at my belt so I based my choices on the schools that seem to regularly take guys with little to no success in Competition to near the top of their respective belt level in a relatively short time. While there are schools that might have more Competition success, many of them are comprised of competitors that were already having alot of success before they trained there.

Overall:
#1 Marcelo Garcia in NYC: Best combination of vibe,level of instruction,competition success, and general ability of students compared to how long they've trained.

Alvarez BJJ in Texas? This is a North Texas club, right? I'm headed back to NT in a few years and I am looking for a gym. Do you mind giving me a little bit of info about these dudes?

Alvarez BJJ in Texas? This is a North Texas club, right? I'm headed back to NT in a few years and I am looking for a gym. Do you mind giving me a little bit of info about these dudes?

NateTx4112 trains there. I picked them because they regularly do well in tournaments with guys that have been training there since day one.

Atos in San Diego,
Checkmat in La Habra,
Art of Jiu-Jitsu in Costa Mesa,

most of these places offer a schedule where you could train 2-3x a day.

NateTx4112 trains there. I picked them because they regularly do well in tournaments with guys that have been training there since day one.

Ah, I see. I just thought it was an odd pick considering the other gyms you mentioned have International recognition.

I'm not too immersed in the NT scene, but it seems like the three gyms that are competing the most are Genesis, Mohler's, and Lutter's.

Ah, I see. I just thought it was an odd pick considering the other gyms you mentioned have International recognition.

I'm not too immersed in the NT scene, but it seems like the three gyms that are competing the most are Genesis, Mohler's, and Lutter's.

I compete fairly often and almost always see Alvarez BJJ at the larger IBJJF tournaments and they usually do very well. Honestly I don't recall seeing anyone from any of the schools you mentioned. Their association wins Dallas Open every year since its inception(2011). They were Nova Unio until last year when they because Bruno Bastos.

If money (cost of living) is a factor Lavatos is a good choice.
Alliance HQ (Atlanta)
MGA
AOJ
Atos

How about places in Brazil? If money is no object would you rather be in the motherland?

Competition:
1.) Crazy 88 in MD
2.) Alliance ATL
3.) Marcelo Garcia in NYC
4.) Alvarez BJJ in TX
I don't consider myself close to World Class at my belt so I based my choices on the schools that seem to regularly take guys with little to no success in Competition to near the top of their respective belt level in a relatively short time. While there are schools that might have more Competition success, many of them are comprised of competitors that were already having alot of success before they trained there.

Overall:
#1 Marcelo Garcia in NYC: Best combination of vibe,level of instruction,competition success, and general ability of students compared to how long they've trained.
That's quite a compliment for the little school in Texas that no one really knows about. All the guys that medal at the major tournaments have full time jobs/families/or are students as well.

Depends on which tournament and if Coach Alvarez kind of pushes "Hey lets go do this one". We won the overall FIVE tournament this past year.

Whenever you come back to DFW shoot me a message I'll be more than glad to set up time to come drop in/train with us. Everyone is welcome.

If I was interested in winning competitions? Atos SD.

If I just wanted to be a jiu-jitsu bum? Either Ralph Gracie SF or Garth Taylor's school in Santa Cruz.

this first post nailed it completely.

Depends on which tournament and if Coach Alvarez kind of pushes "Hey lets go do this one". We won the overall FIVE tournament this past year.

Whenever you come back to DFW shoot me a message I'll be more than glad to set up time to come drop in/train with us. Everyone is welcome.

Thanks, mang! I've checked out y'alls website. Looks like a great place to train.

Thanks, mang! I've checked out y'alls website. Looks like a great place to train.

Really is a great place to train. When people come in I 100% tell them the the truth and believe it 100% that if you want to compete and be successful, there is not a better gym in DFW to train at.

Back