A look back at how amazing Prime Shogun was!

Boxingislife

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
uj1493y.gif

tumblr_mbsjf27tTY1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

shogunuppercutsrampage.gif

Pay close attention to the last gif. Look how when after Shogun rolls Rampage's counter right off his shoulder/arm, Shogun quickly sticks his left arm out there to tap/ nudge aside Rampage's left hand. It occupies Rampage's guard/vision, plus creates the opening for Shogun's uppercut. Shogun threads the uppercut in between the new opening between Rampages gloves like a needle. That was a fucking brilliant cross-face/tap set-up to land his uppercut (not to be ignored was Shogun's defensive responsibility in rolling the original counter right from Rampage too) A lot of people will miss that all. Shogun did have his moments of genuine high level fight IQ/skill by legit standards too.

Shogun than instantaneously wraps up the Thai clinch from that position and goes to town with kness. So beautiful to watch. Like a ballot of voilence.

Man, watching prime Shogun free flow from striking to grappling to clinching etc so fluidly was out of this world.

It was always like Shogun was kicking ass to a beat/soundtrack.

Just the way Shogun used his whole body too, jumping stomps and everything in between, vicious kicks, stomps to guard passes, jumping punches over the guard. THAT switch high kick on Rampage (and again free flowing it into thai clinch and knees)

Shogun was so amazing to watch. What an other wordly talent. No one in MMA has come close to Shogun's free flowing transitions as he used his whole body as a weapon

Prime Shogun IS the greatest most talented fighter ive ever seen fight. It hurts my soul how knee injuries destroyed him. No man ever truly beat Shogun. Injuries beat Shogun

I miss prime Shogun so much! Damnit! I just want PRIDE form Shogun to come back for the end of his career and win a couple more fights before retiring. All I want as an MMA fan is to see Shogun KO NOG and retire on a winning streak and to also see Conor TOOL ALDO...than as a fan I can die happy.

In hindsight, I think training at Chute Boxe wasted a lot of Shogun's potential.

They trained him to be a brawler when he clearly had the athleticism and skill to be a much more technical fighter. That and the training there probably took years off of his prime.

You're still annoying, TS. You can't just win people back by picking a more likeable fallen vet.

Anyway, Shogun was great in his time. The Chute Boxe training style, not having kicks/stomps, and of course the knee injuries shortened his career.... but he was a monster when he was on his game.

You should post gifs from his other fights too, since he had other fights.

Yah man he was pretty awesome

You're still annoying, TS. You can't just win people back by picking a more likeable fallen vet.

Anyway, Shogun was great in his time. The Chute Boxe training style, not having kicks/stomps, and of course the knee injuries shortened his career.... but he was a monster when he was on his game.

Well, what is this all about??

But yea, Shogun WAS the skilled guy in his prime. Hes looked less so due to the injuries, as well as the skill of opposition going up.

Prime Sokoudjou was badass too

But yea, Shogun WAS the skilled guy in his prime. Hes looked less so due to the injuries, as well as the skill of opposition going up.

OP was a jackass in his McGregor thread.

And definitely the game passed him by. Part due to injury, part due to him taking on pretty big duders compared to earlier in his career. But I don't think we should underestimate how much of his game was based around getting people down and stomping them like bugs. It really changed how he had to approach fights when he came to the UFC.

Yes so amazing

3240c-jonjonesflyingkneeagainstshogunrua1.gif

jon-jones_mauricio-rua.jpg

shovhendo.gif

Those amazing hooks
5mT63zC.gif

And submission loss to choke master Chael
11111.gif

His "prime" looked much the same
nogdropsshogun.gif

Yes so amazing

There's always that one jackass. This is why Sherdog can't have nice things.

Look at how shitty Liddell was, right?
30ayhcw.gif

Couldn't even beat that Shogun can.
20ucrig.jpg

Conclusion, you're a troll and/or a pathetic "fan"

If the dude stayed healthy he'd be reing champ. Fuck! Would have loved to see the gun and silva in the grand prixe finals.

His run in 2005 was the most impressive in LHW history until Jones surpassed him from2010 until now.

Just flat out true.

Love Shogun, cant stand Bones. But real talk, Jones outdid Shoguns feat.

Without taking away from Jones (sincerely), I think the two are hard to compare. Different eras, rules, etc... Not saying you can't say Jones' is better. Just saying I always pause when trying to decide how eras match up. I mean, what am I supposed to do with Igor's record leading up to his descent? Dude had over 30 wins and won 10 single-night tournaments against people he knew nothing about. Just walked in, kicked ass, prepared for the next one that was sometimes a month later.

Shogun was awesome.

Shogun lost to Sonnen and OSP. These are 2 fighters with multiple losses over whom a Prime Shogun wouldve decimated. Prime Shogun certainly wouldve been a heavy favorite over each

Shogun in his prime beat way better more skilled fighters like a PRIME Rampage. Even an old washed up Rampage is still winning fights in the UFC. Shogun beat Overeem when he was red hot at LHW. Overeem is a top HW today. So much for all that; "evolution, skill went up, different era" non sense

Truth is Shogun was fighting and beating way better fighters back than IN THE GOLDED "era" of MMA.

Shogun simply had his health ravaged by injuries.

Father time catches up to everyone. I mean, IT WILL HAPPEN to Jones too where you see Jones getting beat up by lesser fighters. Is that going to mean Jones lost to better more evolved fighters?

In boxing, most would pick Hearns/Durran/Hagler/Chavez from the past, to beat todays "best" like Floyd. Only in MMA do fans feed into the evolution non sense you see parroted in MMA

I would pick a prime Shogun to beat all the opponents Shogun has lost to recently. Only Jones would be prime Shogun's stiffest test (due to size and wrestling) BUT in a ring with no elbows I would pick prime Shogun via corner trap and mauling

Last edited:
I think shoguns biggest weakness in the UFC is not being able to do kicks to head of a down fighter. In pride he ended a lot of fights this way and was always looking for the head kick when the opponent went to the ground.

The UFC took away one of his most dangerous weapons and I think it showed.

His run in 2005 was the most impressive in LHW history until Jones surpassed him from2010 until now.

I agree 100 percent. Dude looked so unstoppable during his run. So fucking brutal man and shit! Handsome as fuck too! Shogun had it all in that time frame.

I think shoguns biggest weakness in the UFC is not being able to do kicks to head of a down fighter. In pride he ended a lot of fights this way and was always looking for the head kick when the opponent went to the ground.

The UFC took away one of his most dangerous weapons and I think it showed.

Back