UFC 188: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum PBP (Discussion)

I don't think Cain really has that much punching power for a heavyweight. Remember the last JDS fight, where Cain just couldn't put him away, even though JDS had no gas left in the tank?

People used to call him "pillow fists" on here. Ridiculous of course but he isn't a power puncher, but a volume puncher. He never found a single comfortable position in the fight to let his volume go. Not being able to go to the ground with Werdum or even being able to threaten it limited a lot of the tactics he uses to land punches as well.

The way to beat cain is throw straight punches, his head movement is so bad he moves his head after he gets hit. Both kongo and werdum almost landed all of their straight punches they thrown, jds throws to many hooks were cain can rush in and close the distance

I think I have heard this before, but AKA fighters are kind of notorious for poor head movement.

I don't think so actually. I think they teach good head movement at AKA. I just think Cain's footwork was very poor and that was the problem in this fight. He only went one direction at Werdum, straight. Against a longer fighter and straight puncher who wants to stay on the outside and can move as far backwards as he wants that was the main problem. His head movement was somewhat predictable I think.

Javier Mendez did nothing but scream about angles in the corner for a reason. Cain was walking into everything Werdum had and Werdum was craftily pulling away from all of Cain's punches.

Mad Respect for Werdum, the work to bounce back after being cut from the Company after the JDS fight , then fight his way back to the top
Hell yeah. This dude is one of the top 3 best HWs ever (Fedor, Werdum, Cain IMO) and I honestly believe that he would not beat but finish JDS in a rematch. Both JDS and Arlovski have serious power standing that Cain doesn't though, so that worries me. But imagine if Werdum can defend against those two and avenge his two most recent losses? Fucking hell, what a tale that would be...

funny how that works.

Indeed.

I have already said it, coming into the fight I thought it was going to affect him more, and look how things turned out. If it was affecting fighters at lighter weight classes I couldn't imagine what it was going to do to HW's.

That being said, I found out here Werdum moved to Mexico months prior to the bout, so props to him for the smart move.

Hell yeah. This dude is one of the top 3 best HWs ever (Fedor, Werdum, Cain IMO) and I honestly believe that he would not beat but finish JDS in a rematch. Both JDS and Arlovski have serious power standing that Cain doesn't though, so that worries me. But imagine if Werdum can defend against those two and avenge his two most recent losses? Fucking hell, what a tale that would be...

I think if , Werdum weather's they early barrages, and avoids killshots, his clinch game and his Muay Thai takes over and if he gets either guy to the ground, he has been so on point there that they will be working hard to try to keep it standing that they would be dead to rights if they grappled with Werdum.

Indeed.

I have already said it, coming into the fight I thought it was going to affect him more, and look how things turned out. If it was affecting fighters at lighter weight classes I couldn't imagine what it was going to do to HW's.

That being said, I found out here Werdum moved to Mexico months prior to the bout, so props to him for the smart move.
Yeah, Werdum said he was in Mexico for 35 days in preparation for the fight. Meanwhile, Cain touched down two weeks before while basically at the end of his camp. I think that was a significant factor tonight.

Which is funny considering how he used to gush about Fedor. Wonder what could've happened for him to do such a 180...

Rogan is just a ufc propaganda man. He became obsessed with Lesnar, and started talking about how he is the greatest fighter in the history of human beings.

Mad Respect for Werdum, the work to bounce back after being cut from the Company after the JDS fight , then fight his way back to the top

Werdum wasn't cut from the ufc. Strikeforce offered him a better deal so he went to a better job.

I think you have to put Nog over Cain.

Cain has never been that good. He's a wrestler with decent striking. JDS had bad coaching, Werdum didn't. Werdum whipped his ass with technique and talent!

Indeed.

Werdum was still affected by the altitude, but he paced himself so well. He has a very high fighter IQ. Rafael doing a bang up job @ Kings.
Cain was putting on his normal pace while getting blasted in the face every other second.

I think you have to put Nog over Cain.
Nog? Perhaps, but he has been finished by both Cain and Werdum although he wasn't in his prime. I would say he's top 5 for sure though.
Cain has never been that good. He's a wrestler with decent striking. JDS had bad coaching, Werdum didn't. Werdum whipped his ass with technique and talent!
I agree that he's overrated but he still beat JDS like no man ever has for 9.5 brutal rounds. He also tied the record for title defenses (though at two, that's not saying much).

Werdum wasn't cut, Arlovski wasn't cut and Big Tim wasn't cut from the UFC

They left willingly for more money or because they didn't want to deal with Dana's shit.

It was pretty much this

When+you+practicing+your+dance+moves+and+basketball+shot+in+_7963fb4021efde69926ffc7be6f1cab6.gif

baby-crying-dancing-monkeys.jpg

Cain's still a good fighter, but the elevation and time off did fuck him something nasty. Should've came to Mexico earlier.

Hahahahaha

From the LA Times:

Winner: Eddie Alvarez, split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).

That fight was a massive disappointment. Expected to be a war, both fighters looked bad and fought hesitantly. UFC announcer Joe Rogan did himself no favors by labeling the fight great and that it lived up to expectations, a preposterous and invalid opinion.

The problem is Rogan works for the UFC. Normally the color commentator works for the network, but Rogan is both a color commentator and a promoter.

Styles make fights. Cain is faster, better conditioned, and has no fear of JDS' ground game. Werdum is a more technically sound striker than Cain, better conditioned than JDS, and is a tiger trap on the ground.

I think Cain could win a rematch stateside by overwhelming Werdum with strikes -brawl style, but in a kickboxing match or grappling battle he is at a disadvantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back