THE KNICK on Cinemax

This show is the best filmed show on Television. The camera angles and lighting is amazing.
Episode 2 was much better than 1

It's definitely a gorgeous piece of work and the unconventional soundtrack fits perfectly.

You probably already know this, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that S1 was directed by Steven Soderbergh.

That's what I'm saying. Almost every show on TV changes directors every few episodes. Or even every episode. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is the only show I know with a single director. And not just anybody. Soderburgh is a motherfucking workaholic. I think he finally found something that can keep his ADD under control. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I recommend checking out his IMDB page. I don't think you'll find a more diverse man at the helm of films like Che: parts 1 & 2 and Magic Mike.

I quote Don King in the movie ALI

"Be Moses in reverse. Do NOT let my people go. Keep them the fuck right here..."

It's definitely a gorgeous piece of work and the unconventional soundtrack fits perfectly.

The soundtrack is actually my only issue with the show. I just find it too distracting. Other than that, it's the bee's knees. Probably my favorite show right now.

That's what I'm saying. Almost every show on TV changes directors every few episodes. Or even every episode. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is the only show I know with a single director. And not just anybody. Soderburgh is a motherfucking workaholic. I think he finally found something that can keep his ADD under control. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I recommend checking out his IMDB page. I don't think you'll find a more diverse man at the helm of films like Che: parts 1 & 2 and Magic Mike.

Yeah, I'm familiar with his work and I agree he's diverse. It's kind of crazy that the same dude who did big Hollywood fare like the Oceans films and Traffic also made The Girlfriend Experience and Magic Mike.

I'm not sure how much longer we're going to have him with us in a filmmaking capacity, though. I don't know if you heard his big speech against Hollywood a few years back (if you didn't you should go find it), or if you've heard about his intentions to retire, but he's been talking about moving away from the film industry for a few years now.

Wikipedia sums it up nicely:

Soderbergh had announced in numerous interviews his intention to retire from feature filmmaking. He stated that "when you reach the point where you're saying, 'If I have to get into a van to do another scout, I'm just going to shoot myself,' it's time to let somebody who's still excited about getting in the van, get in the van." Soderbergh later said that he would retire from filmmaking and begin to explore painting. A few weeks later, Soderbergh played down his earlier comments, saying a film-making "sabbatical" was more accurate. In the end, while promoting Side Effects in early 2013, he clarified that he had a five-year plan that saw him transitioning away from making feature films around his fiftieth birthday. Around that time, he gave a much publicized speech at the San Francisco International Film Festival, detailing the obstacles facing filmmakers in the current corporate Hollywood environment.

The soundtrack is actually my only issue with the show. I just find it too distracting. Other than that, it's the bee's knees. Probably my favorite show right now.

Damn, really? You don't like the soundtrack?

I think the combination of the soundtrack and the visuals allows you to just sink into the show as if you're in an opium haze.

I think, for me, if there's anything distracting it's the severe case of shaky cam. I'm not a Nazi at all about that sort of thing but there is truly an alcoholic cameraman working on this show.

Yeah, I'm familiar with his work and I agree he's diverse. It's kind of crazy that the same dude who did big Hollywood fare like the Oceans films and Traffic also made The Girlfriend Experience and Magic Mike.

I'm not sure how much longer we're going to have him with us in a filmmaking capacity, though. I don't know if you heard his big speech against Hollywood a few years back (if you didn't you should go find it), or if you've heard about his intentions to retire, but he's been talking about moving away from the film industry for a few years now.

Wikipedia sums it up nicely:

Wow. Well that actually makes sense. He doesn't have any future projects to direct. He can just stay on with The Knick and not have to scout any new locations, or create anything else from scratch. That makes me excited for the show's future.

Damn, really? You don't like the soundtrack?

I think the combination of the soundtrack and the visuals allows you to just sink into the show as if you're in an opium haze.

I think, for me, if there's anything distracting it's the severe case of shaky cam. I'm not a Nazi at all about that sort of thing but there is truly an alcoholic cameraman working on this show.

I think the soundtrack is good, I just don't like it for thisshow. I feel like it would be more fitting in a Tron sequel/series.

Funny that you mention the shaky cam. I think I'm completely impervious to it. Whenever someone mentions shaky cam, it occurs to me that I never noticed it at all. Maybe I'm already naturally jittery on my own and it just balances out.

You probably already know this, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that S1 was directed by Steven Soderbergh.

Big fan.

I haven't loved all his work, but when he's on the right project, it's magic.

I've recommended The Limey to everyone I know.

[YT]0h_iD1us304[/YT]

Loved the first season of The Knick, looking forward to the next.

that scene with the doc wanting to smell test the whores was too much. lol

Big fan.

[YT]0h_iD1us304[/YT]

Loved the first season of The Knick, looking forward to the next.

It's funny how even the late 90's looks like the 70's/80's now... I watched that trailer and thought "how the hell would that have a website??"

Thack going back to his old ways.I honestly wish they were done with that issue at least for a while.

It's funny how even the late 90's looks like the 70's/80's now... I watched that trailer and thought "how the hell would that have a website??"

Have you seen this movie?

If not, see it and report back.

Not sure if Dr. Gallinger is going pro eugenics or is slowly coming around.

Wow. Well that actually makes sense. He doesn't have any future projects to direct. He can just stay on with The Knick and not have to scout any new locations, or create anything else from scratch. That makes me excited for the show's future.

Yeah. It's always a shame when I hear about a talented director getting tired of the filmmaking process, though. It kind of hurts my soul a little. Soderbergh, Kevin Smith, and Tarantino have all come out and said that their time may soon be coming to an end.

But then you have guys like Woody Allen, Sidney Lumet and Robert Altman who just go and go and go until they're dead.

First episode was fantastic. 10 knots? Loved it. Sadly the show is turning to shit again just like the first season.

It's all about racism, sexism, etc. Fucks sake. It's like The Walking Dead can't simply be about zombies they have to add in contrived drama. Same thing in The Knick.

I want to see more medical practices, I want to learn more about the science being utilized. I don't give a shit about the sociopolitical realities that are seemingly only brought up to shame.

Finished An Instance of the Fingerpost recently and felt the same way. Written by Ian Pears it's a period mystery that takes place in 1683 through the eyes of four people; namely an Italian physician. I found myself constantly annoyed at the mystery, the drama, the tension, etc. All I wanted to do was hear more about the amazingly brutal and brilliant exercises in science that got us this far. Things like tasting piss, old blood, dog shit to cure eye ailments and so forth. Taking the wagon out to rural England for routine bleedings, tooth pulling and the possibility of getting your hands on a fresh cadaver. I guess it's at the point where I should just be reading text books and avoiding entertainment.

Big fan.

I'd agree that his work is a little uneven.

My favorites are Ocean's 11 and 13, Contagion, Magic Mike and Behind the Candelabra. Haywire was also pretty good. The Informant was disappointing and mis-marketed. The Girlfriend Experience is strange, but interesting.

There are several of his films that I've not yet seen.

Looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Just finished watching the first series, I hadn't even heard of it until a friend casually mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.

This is one of the best series I've seen in a very long time, I enjoyed this more than the first series of Breaking Bad. I especially liked the black doctors story, it was pretty intense to watch.

Did this show get a good reception in the U.S? I see it's been renewed for a second series so I imagine it couldn't have done too badly.

Everyone I recommend this show too, thanks me after they watch it.

Fantastic show, which got lost in the shuffle due to being on Cinemax.

I'd recommend it to anyone. I think I watched the entire first season over a single weekend. The girlfriend and I were hooked.

To my surprise the female characters were pretty well fleshed out as well, compared to shows like Boardwalk where all the female leads are lukewarm at best.

Did this show get a good reception in the U.S? I see it's been renewed for a second series so I imagine it couldn't have done too badly.

It was received well by anyone who saw it. The problem is that not a lot of people saw it.

I remember when I was a kid HBO and Cinemax were the two premium networks that I heard the most about but it seems these days that no one really cares about Cinemax. Meanwhile, shows from Showtime (which existed but that I really didn't hear that much about as a kid) and even Starz are doing big numbers.

In any case, yes, The Knick is a fantastic show that I recommended to someone just yesterday. Of course, he had never of it.

Just started this. Cocaine, racism, electro soundtrack... i'm in.

I decided to try the first episode a few weeks ago and ended up watching the whole thing over a few nights. Can't wait for season 2.

That asian opium massage place that Clive hangs out at is the shit. I would never leave that place.

Also the nurse at his office is hot as hell

Just started this. Cocaine, racism, electro soundtrack... i'm in.

I decided to try the first episode a few weeks ago and ended up watching the whole thing over a few nights. Can't wait for season 2.

It's completely retarded that this great show is getting so little attention. It is hands down one of the very best shows on TV right now and hardly anyone is talking about it.

It's completely retarded that this great show is getting so little attention. It is hands down one of the very best shows on TV right now and hardly anyone is talking about it.

Maybe they'll introduce dragons or zombies into it next season?

Great director, great lead actor, great concept

I love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back