I never thought I'd see the day where a new M. Shamaladingdong movie got a fresh rating.

I never thought I'd see the day where a new M. Shamaladingdong movie got a fresh rating.

Never lose faith.

The thing is, his first four (major) movies proved that he can make a damn good, original film. If he didn't have the talent he couldn't have done that over and over. I've always believed that it's just a matter of time before he gets back on track.

The thing is, with the exception of Lady in the Water even his movies that did not receive a good critical or audience reception tended to do well financially. Just consider:

The Village

Budget: $60M
Worldwide Gross: $256M

The Happening

Budget: $48M
Worldwide Gross: $163M

The Last Airbender

Budget: $150M
Worldwide Gross: $319M

After Earth

Budget: $130M
Worldwide Gross: $243M

So fuck it, if they're going to keep giving Michael Bay money, why not give M. Night money too?

Bayhem's profit margins are actually way better than N. Knight's. Movies need to make 2.5 - 3.5 times its budget to consider it worthwhile because of marketing cost, theatre revenue sharing, etc.

Bayhem's profit margins are actually way better than N. Knight's. Movies need to make 2.5 - 3.5 times its budget to consider it worthwhile because of marketing cost, theatre revenue sharing, etc.

Almost no movies make that and I think most industry professionals would tell you that it's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be. I think if you research it you'll find that, in general, most studios would be quite happy to take in double the production budget in domestic revenue.

Don't forget the power of home video sales, TV rights, merchandising, novelizations, etc.

Almost no movies make that and I think most industry professionals would tell you that it's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be. I think if you research it you'll find that, in general, most studios would be quite happy to take in double the production budget in domestic revenue.

Don't forget the power of home video sales, TV rights, merchandising, novelizations, etc.

http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

I'm not arguing how complicating it is. My point is that a movie that makes double its budget isn't a true success when factoring in all the variables mentioned in the link I gave you.

My point is that there's a lot that you have to consider.

How much of the revenue was from domestic sources?
How much from foreign sources?
How much was spent on advertising? (This is a biggie and can vary wildly.)
How much is expected from DVD/Blu-Ray/VOD sales?
What about TV and Netflix rights?
How about Redbox?
Is this the kind of property that can be leveraged into boatloads of cash from sales of backpacks, video games, lunchboxes, stuffed animals, novelizations, etc?

So it's really not as simple as "a movie needs to make THIS many times its budget to be a success."

dude a positive RT score for a horror movie is pretty good, they usually get shitty scores.

lol, I did not know he was doing this movie. Guess they really aren't using his name anymore

With reviews that poor? FUCK no. I was just joking.

Sometimes it's better to decide for yourself what's good. Some of my favorite games and movies have low review scores. Would have missed out on some of my favorite things ever if I just blindly followed popular opinion all the time.

ught-iron-house-letter-m-LET-M-2.jpg

400px-T_Jedruszek_BrightwaterCavalrywing.jpg

We sure lost that war on big fat didn't we.

Back