• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Serious Movie Discussion XXXVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've always thought Fincher was overrated and I still stand by that, but even with that qualification, I will never again be able to say that the man's resume is without at least one legitmately great film. Gone Girl was fucking fantastic. I've gotten the sense in watching Fincher's films that he really depends on his scripts. I don't think he has a single writing bone in his body, so if the script sucks, he's not going to be able to do anything about it because he's all about visuals and mood and emotion. The reason Gone Girl is so great is because it was based on a novel and the author adapted her book herself. That kind of safety net allows Fincher to work at a much higher level; give him strong material, and he'll make the shit come alive. All through high school I read books like Gone Girl voraciously, so I knew all of the beats of this one before they came, but that didn't hurt my experience because I was so impressed with Fincher's filmmaking. When I thought I'd be a filmmaker and would read three or four books a week for screenplay material, the kind of adaptations I hoped I'd be able to make were on the level of Gone Girl.

In my history of Fincher viewing, I can't recall ever really feeling any extratextual inspiration, but Gone Girl was pure Hitchcock but through Fincher's visual filter. In terms of managing the beats, it was part Suspicion and part Vertigo, and he balanced the parts masterfully. He allowed just enough doubt in the first half to make it compelling and have me running through my mental checklist of facts every five minutes, and then when he made the switch, he didn't flaunt his prestidigitation but simply went on with his storytelling with Hitchcock's surehandedness and diligence.

I also loved all of the performances. Even that piece of shit Tyler Perry was great. I was afraid I'd hate the movie when I saw his name in the credits, but I loved him ("You two are the most fucked up people I know" :icon_chee). The story itself felt was far-fetched, but it worked well enough on the surface level to not hinder how superbly it worked thematically. The darkness of that portrait of marriage had a blackness that was extremely compelling but, interestingly, it never really crossed over into the type of bitter comedy that Hitchcock would've found irresistable. Fincher told this story without finding any humor in the situation; he treated his demented heroine the way Otto Preminger treated Jean Simmons in Angel Face, and I felt as bad for Affleck in Gone Girl as I did for Mitchum in Angel Face, only Affleck played that character so fucking well in the way he figured out enough to not only know his wife's game but also to know that, by the end, he had no more moves to make. The board was hers and he knew it.

Man, that's the kind of movie that gets in your head and stays there. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was also a very strong effort, but it didn't feel like Fincher connected with those people, that world, and that story the way he did Gone Girl. It felt more like a chore on his part than a genuine inspiration. Again, since the script was strong, it worked very well, but at no point was I marveling at the cinematography or really digging the mood or anything. Just seemed like he was letting the script drive everything, falling back on his Se7en shit when he needed to make it "thrillery," and that was a wrap for him. I know that's making it sound like I'm really apathetic and I don't want to make it seem like I wasn't interested in the movie or didn't enjoy it while I was watching. It just never reached the level of Zodiac and was absolutely nowhere near Gone Girl.

I think I'm still staying with Interstellar and Nightcrawler as my one-two punch for 2014, but with Gone Girl, I've found the third film for my pedestal. Awesome, awesome movie. I have to give it up to Fincher for that one.

I nearly shat myself in the theater when Jake was in that dude's basement.

I saw it when it came out on DVD, and from then to when I rewatched it last night, I only remembered two scenes: That basement scene and the scene with Lynch at the end. I'm glad I rewatched it because my fondness for it definitely went up and I'll remember it much better now, but those two scenes are still the standouts. That basement scene was weird as fuck. He was so sure it was that one dude (forgot his name) then he finds out the handwriting match isn't that dude but the guy two feet in front of him. I was thrown by that the first time and it still throws me. Was the match just a fuck up and this guy just happens to be creepy as fuck or is this dude a legit possible Zodiac? And hearing footsteps above. What the fuck was happening in that scene? I can't tell if Fincher was trying to portray Gyllenhaal's obsession as tearing his mind apart and making him paranoid or if that guy deserved suspicion.

And then that last scene with Lynch, I just love it. I didn't remember it from the first time, but when Gyllenhaal says that line about having to stand in front of someone, look them in the eye, and know they're the Zodiac, and then that's exactly what he does with Lynch, I just love that. Fincher handled that brilliantly.

Zodiac is a close second behind The Social Network for my favorite Fincher movie.

I think my Fincher rankings would go like this:

Gone Girl
Zodiac
*The Social Network
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Game
Fight Club
Se7en

*Apologies to Fincher, but this one's really only this high because of Sorkin, who dominated that film.

And then I've seen Alien 3 and Panic Room but I don't remember them well enough to accurately rank them. Even so, I highly doubt they'd end up any higher than Fight Club.

Bullitt prob won't like TGWTDT.

You were closer with Mad Max. I actually did like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I feel like we hype up stuff for Bullitt to watch so much that he can only be disappointed. And this goes back to 08.

He doesn't watch a lot of new stuff, and when something great (Children of Men, True Detective, Mad Max) comes out, we all tell him he has to see this epic game changing show/movie to read his opinion.

Except I want that, I want to know the pulse of this thread. I always do my own little audience surveys. I know you guys and your sensibilities, I know my friends' and family's sensibilities, I'd gauge the sensibilities of the people I'd work with. I always do my best to get a sense of people's standards so that, when they'd talk about a movie, I'd have a scale for their opinions against which I could match my own.

And with shit like True Detective and Mad Max, it's important I know what the majority opinion is, not so I have a target for my opinion but so I know the context in which I'm watching something.

Plus, at the end of the day, if a movie needs the benefit of weird mindgame trickery and hide-and-seek expectation tactics, then it can't be that great. Is it fun to have a movie sneak up on you, to find hidden gems, to have your expectations surpassed? Of course. But when we're dealing with giant cultural events like Breaking Bad or your own example of The Godfather, that context cannot (nor should it) be swept under the rug.

We shouldn't be cultivating Rip Van Winkle type viewers like this:

[YT]iqTjb3JEHLU[/YT]

Does that make sense? I'm drunk.

No worries, your post was completely coherent :wink:

Eh. Manhunter was pretty slow. Drunk me picks Red Dragon.

Now here, you had me worrying for your health. . .

Actually, the score for Manhunter is pretty dope. I change my mind.

. . .but this post reassured me.

Heh. We posted literally at the same time.

Glad you liked Gone Girl. I'm a fan.

EDIT: ALMOST at the same time, I guess.

I thought Gone Girl was pretty weak for Fincher standards. I feel you about Fincher and scripts, and I think you're right to an extent. To his credit he did shadow Gillian Flynn as she was adapting.

I think The Social Network was a combined effort from everyone. Sorkin had a fantastic script, but by watching BTS you can see how dedicated Fincher was with making this movie the best it could be. 99 take scenes, scenes had to have the perfect natural lighting, stuff like that. The editing was amazing stuff. The acting was great. It's a brilliant film.

The Red Dragon/Manhunter preference was which film I'd rather watch right now. Not which is better. Of course Manhunter is better lol

I really enjoyed Gone Girl. Totally mindfucked me going in. Definitely happy I went into it blank too, just based solely on word of mouth.

Rooney Mara was my favorite part of TGWTDT. Thought she did an excellent job and loved the feeling of rejection and showed in the end scene. That scene stuck with me over anything else in the film.

I'll comment a bit more later, just started watching Touching the Void. Continuing on with my current documentary obsession

Someone told me that Gone Girl was very twisty and I correctly predicted a lot in the movie. I usually don't try to predict while I'm watching because it takes away from the experience, but I really felt like it was soft balled to me.

I didn't think Zodiac was a great film, but I really enjoyed it all the same. That opening with Hurdy Gurdy Man was outstanding, Fincher created a haunting atmosphere that permeated the whole rest of the film (I've been obsessively listening to that song all day as I've been working :cool:). Ricky, you've talked a lot about Fincher's eye, and his visual sensibilities are really flawless in this one. Back in the day, mise en sc

Last edited:
I'm drunk too.

I think I like Red Dragon more than Manhunter. Should I keep drinking?

Red Dragon is pretty underrated in my opinion. Love that scene at the end. "Say it! I'm a dirty little beast. Freak! Harelip! And no one will love me.." Never really got the lukewarm reaction to it. I personally am not one who puts Silence of the Lambs on a pedestal anyway, so I don't see Red Dragon as underwhelming by contrast.

Never really saw Manhunter all through though but it's got typically awesome Mann style from what I've seen. Use of In A Gadda Da Vida was great.

Last edited:
Well, I've always thought Fincher was overrated and I still stand by that, but even with that qualification, I will never again be able to say that the man's resume is without at least one legitmately great film. Gone Girl was fucking fantastic. I've gotten the sense in watching Fincher's films that he really depends on his scripts. I don't think he has a single writing bone in his body, so if the script sucks, he's not going to be able to do anything about it because he's all about visuals and mood and emotion. The reason Gone Girl is so great is because it was based on a novel and the author adapted her book herself. That kind of safety net allows Fincher to work at a much higher level; give him strong material, and he'll make the shit come alive. All through high school I read books like Gone Girl voraciously, so I knew all of the beats of this one before they came, but that didn't hurt my experience because I was so impressed with Fincher's filmmaking. When I thought I'd be a filmmaker and would read three or four books a week for screenplay material, the kind of adaptations I hoped I'd be able to make were on the level of Gone Girl.

In my history of Fincher viewing, I can't recall ever really feeling any extratextual inspiration, but Gone Girl was pure Hitchcock but through Fincher's visual filter. In terms of managing the beats, it was part Suspicion and part Vertigo, and he balanced the parts masterfully. He allowed just enough doubt in the first half to make it compelling and have me running through my mental checklist of facts every five minutes, and then when he made the switch, he didn't flaunt his prestidigitation but simply went on with his storytelling with Hitchcock's surehandedness and diligence.

I also loved all of the performances. Even that piece of shit Tyler Perry was great. I was afraid I'd hate the movie when I saw his name in the credits, but I loved him ("You two are the most fucked up people I know" :icon_chee). The story itself felt was far-fetched, but it worked well enough on the surface level to not hinder how superbly it worked thematically. The darkness of that portrait of marriage had a blackness that was extremely compelling but, interestingly, it never really crossed over into the type of bitter comedy that Hitchcock would've found irresistable. Fincher told this story without finding any humor in the situation; he treated his demented heroine the way Otto Preminger treated Jean Simmons in Angel Face, and I felt as bad for Affleck in Gone Girl as I did for Mitchum in Angel Face, only Affleck played that character so fucking well in the way he figured out enough to not only know his wife's game but also to know that, by the end, he had no more moves to make. The board was hers and he knew it.

Man, that's the kind of movie that gets in your head and stays there. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was also a very strong effort, but it didn't feel like Fincher connected with those people, that world, and that story the way he did Gone Girl. It felt more like a chore on his part than a genuine inspiration. Again, since the script was strong, it worked very well, but at no point was I marveling at the cinematography or really digging the mood or anything. Just seemed like he was letting the script drive everything, falling back on his Se7en shit when he needed to make it "thrillery," and that was a wrap for him. I know that's making it sound like I'm really apathetic and I don't want to make it seem like I wasn't interested in the movie or didn't enjoy it while I was watching. It just never reached the level of Zodiac and was absolutely nowhere near Gone Girl.

I think I'm still staying with Interstellar and Nightcrawler as my one-two punch for 2014, but with Gone Girl, I've found the third film for my pedestal. Awesome, awesome movie. I have to give it up to Fincher for that one.

I saw it when it came out on DVD, and from then to when I rewatched it last night, I only remembered two scenes: That basement scene and the scene with Lynch at the end. I'm glad I rewatched it because my fondness for it definitely went up and I'll remember it much better now, but those two scenes are still the standouts. That basement scene was weird as fuck. He was so sure it was that one dude (forgot his name) then he finds out the handwriting match isn't that dude but the guy two feet in front of him. I was thrown by that the first time and it still throws me. Was the match just a fuck up and this guy just happens to be creepy as fuck or is this dude a legit possible Zodiac? And hearing footsteps above. What the fuck was happening in that scene? I can't tell if Fincher was trying to portray Gyllenhaal's obsession as tearing his mind apart and making him paranoid or if that guy deserved suspicion.

And then that last scene with Lynch, I just love it. I didn't remember it from the first time, but when Gyllenhaal says that line about having to stand in front of someone, look them in the eye, and know they're the Zodiac, and then that's exactly what he does with Lynch, I just love that. Fincher handled that brilliantly.

I think my Fincher rankings would go like this:

Gone Girl
Zodiac
*The Social Network
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Game
Fight Club
Se7en

*Apologies to Fincher, but this one's really only this high because of Sorkin, who dominated that film.

And then I've seen Alien 3 and Panic Room but I don't remember them well enough to accurately rank them. Even so, I highly doubt they'd end up any higher than Fight Club.

You were closer with Mad Max. I actually did like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Except I want that, I want to know the pulse of this thread. I always do my own little audience surveys. I know you guys and your sensibilities, I know my friends' and family's sensibilities, I'd gauge the sensibilities of the people I'd work with. I always do my best to get a sense of people's standards so that, when they'd talk about a movie, I'd have a scale for their opinions against which I could match my own.

And with shit like True Detective and Mad Max, it's important I know what the majority opinion is, not so I have a target for my opinion but so I know the context in which I'm watching something.

Plus, at the end of the day, if a movie needs the benefit of weird mindgame trickery and hide-and-seek expectation tactics, then it can't be that great. Is it fun to have a movie sneak up on you, to find hidden gems, to have your expectations surpassed? Of course. But when we're dealing with giant cultural events like Breaking Bad or your own example of The Godfather, that context cannot (nor should it) be swept under the rug.

We shouldn't be cultivating Rip Van Winkle type viewers like this:

[YT]iqTjb3JEHLU[/YT]

No worries, your post was completely coherent :wink:

Now here, you had me worrying for your health. . .

. . .but this post reassured me.

Affleck gets a lot of flack. But, in my opinion, he was absolutely perfectly cast in that role. As you said, pretty much everyone killed it in that film. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed Perry, much like you said.

NPH seemed a little out of place there though to me. I kept thinking of him as Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother, complete with his showing off his swanky home and flaunting his wealth to try to get into a girl's pants.

Pike and Affleck though- great shit. I really enjoy that movie. Not my favorite Fincher, but certainly an awesome movie.

I think everything Fincher has delivered since 07 (with the exception of Button) has been awesome.

GWTDT...I loved Rooney Mara's performance and character and thought it was great how she and Craig sort of had the separate storylines and then came together in an effective way. Scene where they first get together is a great one. He's been fucking shot and suddenly she's taking off her panties...

I'm not really disagreeing here, but Bird was able to be so innovative largely because of his technical mastery

He had the imagination to take his solos to places no one had ever gone before, but also the chops to be able to execute those solos

I agree that the manipulation of the anecdote was a poor decision

Did you know he was gay.

Well, I've always thought Fincher was overrated and I still stand by that, but even with that qualification, I will never again be able to say that the man's resume is without at least one legitmately great film. Gone Girl was fucking fantastic.

Jesus man. You liked that piece of shit?

What do you guys think of the American TGWTDT versus the original, Swedish version?

The two films are quite similar, but a very big diffrence to me was how they depicted the female protagonist Lisbeth Salander.

Mara I felt played her like a meeker person. Socially she's more of a recluse whom does not seek to dominate her surroundings. Take for example the time where Craig asks her to "find a killer of women" and there is this breif moment of shock on her face. The Lisbeth character would never have shown such emotions in the original.

Rapace character on the other hand, had a very angry, stand-offish attitude. Unlike Mara, she does try to stand-out and dominate every situation she's in. Take for example the early scene where she is interviewed by her bosses. She makes it very clear that she thinks very lttle - if anything - about them, and carries that attitude throughout the film.

Just compare the way they dress! How they style their hair. How they sit and their general body-language. Says everything about the diffrence in their characters!

I think this diffrence in approach changes the overall tone of the film. The Swedish version had a more angry, crusading spirit about the subject matter. While the American version handled the subject matter more like a morbid mystery.

The Red Dragon/Manhunter preference was which film I'd rather watch right now. Not which is better. Of course Manhunter is better lol

Classical example of a man trying to make amends for the horrible things he said while drunk.:)

Last edited:
Southpaw Was overly melodramatic whiny bullshit and while I enjoyed some of the training the boxing was typical rock em sock em Hollywood.

JG was good but Hope was so unlikeable and seldom sympathetic that it was a wasted effort. The overly macho rap soundtrack just drug everything down a little more.

Jurassic World was a blast! I the first one was great and has that nostalgia factor but I thought this was a worthy successor. Just a fun ride.

whats something along the line of the upcoming Everest?

Watch the documentary Touching the Void. I just did last night and it's incredible. Unbelievable story and the best reenactment scenes I've seen in a doc. Hell, they could have left the narration and interviews out and let the reenactment stand for itself and it would have still been damn good

Can vouch for Touching the Void. I know the climber that fell (distantly). The movie is based on his book - it's excellent as well. Quite the story. Caused a buzz in the climbing community for the controversial nature of the incident that led to the fall.

I remember watching some German film called North Face. Was aight.

Idk how I forgot Seven in my Fincher rankings. That's my favorite of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsalaanx
Back