Debate with controversial 17-year-old blue belt Gracie Combatives "head instructor"

Re read....the gracie combatives system and techniques are just fine. They are great material....the money grab part is where the issue lies. What Renee and Ryron teach as far as jiu jitsu technique is great. What they do to get people to give them money sucks.

Banking on the gracie name to take 6 years of training and turning it into a business/money making situation. At 17.

Kid is pimp.

The rest of the panel? Jelly.

I'll try to listen to it later. But I will say now that anyone hating for his parents fronting the money to open the place are reaching on that. Do you know how many young people across the country have used loans and gifts from their parents to open all kinds of businesses?

And if the product he is offering, strictly Gracie Combatives, is not worth the price he's selling it at then obviously the market will fix it and they will go out of business or sell to another business.

You think he'd accept a Gracie Challenge?

I somehow doubt it.

I remember starting a dial-up ISP as a teenager. I was trying to get a local telecom rep to talk to me about getting a backbone line and he ignored my inquiries because I was a kid. I later merged with another group and bought his company. Kid has it more together than most starting a school, doesn't misrepresent himself and handled himself well. I only wish him the best in his endeavor. F12 has better things to do than flip out over this.

These comments praising him for his "hustle" or "opening a business" are ridiculous. It is completely obvious his training center has been totally financed and signed for by his parents.

Do you really think a high school kid has the financial resources, knowledge and responsibility to develop the facility in those pictures? He was 16 years old when the place was made, he is not a legal adult. I doubt his name is on a single document and I doubt he has anything to do with keeping the lights on. This is 100% a kid being gifted an expensive playground.

Jealous much?

I remember starting a dial-up ISP as a teenager. I was trying to get a local telecom rep to talk to me about getting a backbone line and he ignored my inquiries because I was a kid. I later merged with another group and bought his company. Kid has it more together than most starting a school, doesn't misrepresent himself and handled himself well. I only wish him the best in his endeavor. F12 has better things to do than flip out over this.
And now, years later you are living the dream posting on Sherdog

You think he'd accept a Gracie Challenge?

I somehow doubt it.

By Gracie challenge, do you mean if another local BJJ instructor or upper belt challenged him? Or if it was just some random joe off the streets with no training? Or somebody from like a local karate or TKD school?

By Gracie challenge, do you mean if another local BJJ instructor or upper belt challenged him? Or if it was just some random joe off the streets with no training? Or somebody from like a local karate or TKD school?

Any of the above. Gracie Challenge don't care.

Or at least, it didn't use to.

Any of the above. Gracie Challenge don't care.

Or at least, it didn't use to.

I'm sure he would turn down all of the above.

by that I mean in terms of a challenge from another BJJ instructor, what would it prove? The kid already says he's just teaching combatives and would surely be tooled by an athletic blue or purple and above.

As far as challenges from the other categories, too much risk and not enough reward for him to accept.

I stopped at "debate with 17 year old." Seriously? He's 17. Of course he believes in things that he doesn't fully understand and can't defend what he's doing.

This.

Lol @ "debate" with a teenager. People are entitled and his parents are supporting him so whatever. Let the people dumb enough to train with him go ahead and train.

I'm sure he would turn down all of the above.

by that I mean in terms of a challenge from another BJJ instructor, what would it prove? The kid already says he's just teaching combatives and would surely be tooled by an athletic blue or purple and above.

As far as challenges from the other categories, too much risk and not enough reward for him to accept.

I wouldn't challenge him, it's more a comment on the fact that the Helio side of the family would put their name on a school where the head instructor would be totally unready to meet the sort of challenge that made the family's name in the first place. It's disgraceful.

I'm gonna show Josh this thread. And we'll laugh and laugh

If I had a 17 year old, I'd never let him run his own gym.

It is way too dangerous. You know how many nut jobs walk through the door to tell you about their black belts, how they were fighters, what they did to people in prison, blah blah blah. I've seen the craziest people come up to my instructors.

If you are big or look like you can fight, they won't ask to fight. People asking to spar are usually just shopping around and testing to see if you are game. That's not that dangerous.

The loony tunes though, man, I'm telling you all it isn't just the honor of your teacher's teacher you are worried about. It is your own neck.

I wouldn't challenge him, it's more a comment on the fact that the Helio side of the family would put their name on a school where the head instructor would be totally unready to meet the sort of challenge that made the family's name in the first place. It's disgraceful.

I get what you're putting down.

The franchise business is a good business. I think this is really similar. You can go get a Big Mac, it will be consistent wherever you get it, very predictable. It ain't bad. Until you get a real burger from someone that knows what they are doing and gives an actual shit about making a good burger. Then you'll know the difference. If Rener and Ryron are the Ray Crock of bjj, they are literally creating McDojos.

I don't think we need to worry about watering down real bjj. It may take off and even get big, come to dominate the market. But nobody except an idiot (the world is full of them) will confuse a Big Mac with a real burger. It will probably help to get the douches out of the real academies.

The franchise business is a good business. I think this is really similar. You can go get a Big Mac, it will be consistent wherever you get it, very predictable. It ain't bad. Until you get a real burger from someone that knows what they are doing and gives an actual shit about making a good burger. Then you'll know the difference. If Rener and Ryron are the Ray Crock of bjj, they are literally creating McDojos.

I don't think we need to worry about watering down real bjj. It may take off and even get big, come to dominate the market. But nobody except an idiot (the world is full of them) will confuse a Big Mac with a real burger. It will probably help to get the douches out of the real academies.

You need douches who pay their memberships to help keep the gym running financially. New mats, electricity and seminars are not free. Rare is the medium size gym that can stay afloat with only hardcore members.

Watched this earlier. Good that he got a platform to further explain himself but Josh destroyed him. Kid is totally indoctrinated. So frustrating to me that he, as a blue belt, is more concerned about teaching and being the head of a school than furthering his BJJ education for himself.

This...as a blue belt you are still a beginner really, your first thought at that level should be how to improve not 'how do I start my own school'. I bet he refuses to roll with any legit dudes who pass through too.

Ryron and Rener man...I tried to like these dudes, in the back of my mind I told myself that they were just bringing GJJ into the 21st century and tried excusing their bullshit but they have gone too far. They are nothing but shysters at this point, it makes me sick how often they invoke their grandfathers name and image when he would've torn them a new hole for pulling the weak shit they do.

I hope it was worth it boys, selling out the integrity of your family for a few dollars.

What kind of moron would pay a blue belt to teach them if there are black belts near them?

Back