Debate with controversial 17-year-old blue belt Gracie Combatives "head instructor"

I agree with what Rener said about training with punches. BJJ + punches in training is super important for self defense. But he definitely seems to lump all non-GJJ schools into the same group where they're teaching advanced sport techniques to their students all the time or that their ability to give people the skills to defend themselves on a street is compromised because an academy teaches sport and street techniques. And he can GTFO with the "savagery" and "shark tank" of live rolling early on in BJJ. Not everybody is gonna be comfortable rolling when they first start and injuries are a danger, I understand that. That's why you teach them how live rolling works and make sure everybody at the school is a responsible training partner, not a dick head. I got my ass kicked in the kids' classes, then I got my ass kicked in the adults' classes all over again, but I never got injured. I'm glad I went through all that "savagery".

Rener spent most of the time defending the CTC and blue belt programs they didn't have much time to touch on the recent black belt frauds, but Rener's defense of those girls was terrible. They were wearing BJJ black belts with red tabs. They knew they were deceiving people about their rank. C'mon son.

I agree with what Rener said about training with punches. BJJ + punches in training is super important for self defense. But he definitely seems to lump all non-GJJ schools into the same group where they're teaching advanced sport techniques to their students all the time or that their ability to give people the skills to defend themselves on a street is compromised because an academy teaches sport and street techniques. And he can GTFO with the "savagery" and "shark tank" of live rolling early on in BJJ. Not everybody is gonna be comfortable rolling when they first start and injuries are a danger, I understand that. That's why you teach them how live rolling works and make sure everybody at the school is a responsible training partner, not a dick head......Rener spent most of the time defending the CTC and blue belt programs they didn't have much time to touch on the recent black belt frauds, but Rener's defense of those girls was terrible. They were wearing BJJ black belts with red tabs. They knew they were deceiving people about their rank. C'mon son.

Agreed. The funny thing about that is probably half of the "sport" instructors have a lot more experience using bjj in a fighting situation than he does. One could make the argument these "sport" instructors are more qualified to teach self defense bjj than him also.

The "savagery" of rolling not only is the catalyst of making your skills functional, but it helps develop character, and maintain a healthy ego as well. The reason why bjj guys are some of the most humble, chill people, is because getting dominated by better fighters, and getting your ass kicked on a regular basis does wonders for humility, and other good traits. If you don't want to put the work then go do some kata at your local strip mall mcdojo.

As far as Rener defending those girls, absolutely disgraceful.

The "savagery" of rolling not only is the catalyst of making your skills functional, but it helps develop character, and maintain a healthy ego as well. The reason why bjj guys are some of the most humble, chill people, is because getting dominated by better fighters, and getting your ass kicked on a regular basis does wonders for humility, and other good traits. If you don't want to put the work then go do some kata at your local strip mall mcdojo.

Plenty of people endure the difficult phase of martial arts training because they have a self image which includes it or they like some aspect. They protect their ego by identifying with something else until they git-gud. Once they start tapping larger beginners, teaching, competing or receiving color belts, they shift the focus of their identity to BJJ.

The world is filled the fuck up with combat sport experts of all kinds who compete in striking or grappling that are great people. It is also full of regular pissy mother fuckers who have not become better people in any way. Maybe they are worse because they get to dominate people physically.

Agreed. The funny thing about that is probably half of the "sport" instructors have a lot more experience using bjj in a fighting situation than he does. One could make the argument these "sport" instructors are more qualified to teach self defense bjj than him also.

As far as Rener defending those girls, absolutely disgraceful.

Clapping.Gif.:cool:

Plenty of people endure the difficult phase of martial arts training because they have a self image which includes it or they like some aspect. They protect their ego by identifying with something else until they git-gud. Once they start tapping larger beginners, teaching, competing or receiving color belts, they shift the focus of their identity to BJJ.

The world is filled the fuck up with combat sport experts of all kinds who compete in striking or grappling that are great people. It is also full of regular pissy mother fuckers who have not become better people in any way. Maybe they are worse because they get to dominate people physically.

In BJJ, the competitors are usually nice and cool people.

The guys that you need to worry about are the one that never compete and discourage their students to compete. Because they live in fear that people would realise that they are not that good .

In BJJ, the competitors are usually nice and cool people.

The guys that you need to worry about are the one that never compete and discourage their students to compete. Because they live in fear that people would realise that they are not that good .

I don't know. I've known a lot of competitors and non-competitors, who teach or not, and I don't notice any difference in the occurrence of crazy. Sometimes very strong or fit people have to be pushed a little to get the crazy to come out, because they have had the volume turned down some, but it is still there.

No one under the age of 18 should be teaching anything. At most a 17 year old should be an assistant. That video needed greater mediating to prevent the monologues that developed. Rener needed a greater challenge against the points he was making.

I agree with you, on the other hand, I think most people who try bjj will stick with it because for me is so much fun, thing is, is not the case, I cant wrap my head around people quitting bjj after they've spent some time doing it, but people quit, A LOT....

I for one have all new comers roll from day one, I think its good for someone to be exposed how effective bjj is on the ground, however, I dont think you should match new comers with other white belts, unless its an advance white belt and not spazzy muscle head trying to get gym wins. On the other hand if you get a "visitor" trying to get a taste of how bjj works, (lets say an athletic dude) then things are different, and "some" smashing should be used by the instructor in order to retain that student. He isnt going to come back if you have him there doing kata shit and bear hug escapes, he could go to a TKD class he would probably get the same stuff...

At least Houston is a blue belt. I remember back in the day Roy Harris had a Grappling Apprentice program where he certified instructors at the white belt level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowtrooper444
Back