Fighters Trying Out For TUF 23 (The Ultimate Fighter Season 23)

An update to the article says that the bantamweight option has been dropped due to not enough of them.

As always, Zima's on the ball witth the news.

Sounds like 115 is a definite lock. Not so sure about 205 though.

MMAJUNKIE mentions the following as 205lb tryouts...

Andrew Sanchez (7-2), Phil Hawes (3-0), Khalil Rountree (4-0)....BionicCommando mentioned Eric Spicely (8-0)....

All are middleweights. Slightly concerning that no legitimate LHW fighters have been mentioned yet.

Anyone think they're just gonna run another 115lb women's season, probably selecting 16 and not bothering with the entry fights?

115 division already contains 33 fighters and now the UFC may add up to 16 after the TUF... Meanwhile W135 division contains only 26 fighters. Not wise management, unless they are really trying to build up 115 as the marquee division, which it frankly should be.

I don't understand why people come to the TUF boards just to state it sucks, they don't watch it, etc. Why not stick to the boards of what you like instead of bringing negativity to people who actually do like it?

MMAJUNKIE mentions the following as 205lb tryouts...

Andrew Sanchez (7-2), Phil Hawes (3-0), Khalil Rountree (4-0)....BionicCommando mentioned Eric Spicely (8-0)....

All are middleweights. Slightly concerning that no legitimate LHW fighters have been mentioned yet.

Anyone think they're just gonna run another 115lb women's season, probably selecting 16 and not bothering with the entry fights?

I did see two or three 205ers like Cory Hendricks and Dom Reyes.

Nothing too exciting at first glance on that list. But I'll watch anyway if jj is coaching

Nothing too exciting at first glance on that list. But I'll watch anyway if jj is coaching

IF they actually do do a 205 lb class and Hawes and Roundtree make the cut, they'll easily be the most hyped prospects on the show since TUF Live with Myles Jury and Al Iaquinta.

My training partner Phil Hawes is insanely good. People are going to be amazed. One of the best pure athletes in MMA and an insane work ethic.

Guybson Sa is there trying out for 205. If you've never heard of him, he's a high level BJJ black belt. He's won Worlds at purple and brown beating Rodolfo Viera and Buchecha Almeida along the way. Recently he took bronze at the No Gi worlds, and submitted Hector Lombard in under two minutes in a superfight.

Source: Guybson is my friend on Facebook.

Seems like multi-quoting no longer exists (what the fuck?), so....

DyinHawaiian

Spot on mate. Even though I didn't watch, TUF 20 had my respect and I could understand the appeal of 16 ranked and hyped prospects fighting for a belt. This crop is a bunch of previous season rejects, borderline amateurs and a handful of fairly decent records.

Daveb

Hawes would be a front-runner for sure.

Ryoto Machida

Sa might be legit in BJJ but 3-2 in MMA against not great opposition will probably mean he doesn't make the cut.

I'd love to see the likes of Josh Stansbury, Karl Albrektsson, Andy Clamp, Mo DeReese, Alex Nicholson show up for this season but it's looking pretty grim on that front...

Seems like multi-quoting no longer exists (what the fuck?), so....

DyinHawaiian

Spot on mate. Even though I didn't watch, TUF 20 had my respect and I could understand the appeal of 16 ranked and hyped prospects fighting for a belt. This crop is a bunch of previous season rejects, borderline amateurs and a handful of fairly decent records.

Daveb

Hawes would be a front-runner for sure.

Ryoto Machida

Sa might be legit in BJJ but 3-2 in MMA against not great opposition will probably mean he doesn't make the cut.

I'd love to see the likes of Josh Stansbury, Karl Albrektsson, Andy Clamp, Mo DeReese, Alex Nicholson show up for this season but it's looking pretty grim on that front...

I know that Josh Stansbury was at the tryouts.

Ryoto Machida

You could very well be right, but since I compete for his BJJ team (SAS Team USA) I gotta wish him the best . ;)

Kenneth Bergh is one of the 205 pounders trying out, I don't really know much about him tho.

You could very well be right, but since I compete for his BJJ team (SAS Team USA) I gotta wish him the best . ;)

True, good luck to him.

Ah, the Norwegian dude whos been mentioned before, forgot about him, he seems decent.

If they have 205 and 115 who would the coaches be? Mighty Mouse and Cejudo? I don't think Gadelha speaks english too well, so if that is JJ's opponent I couldn't see them as coaches.....

Back