Aljo Sterling calls UFC new offer "Laughable" Doesn't have enough $ to go see Doctor

20/20? For a top-5 fighter about to reach the prime years of his career. That is seriously offensive. Plus Sterling is a finisher and has a lot of charisma. They have problems bringing up viable contenders at 135, and this guy could perfectly get there.

Ouch. Well, I guess we'll be seeing him in Bellator soon, although at 20/20 he'd be making more than probably at least half of their roster upon signing.

It's a double-edged sword and I can see both sides. He wants to be paid like a top guy, but if MMA paid more, he wouldn't be a top guy with a larger talent pool.

Totally agree. I hope he can get some serious dough in Asia or in Bellator, if not just stop fighting. There is no point if the road to the Champion is paved with Welfare and medical bills.

How is 20/20 not enough to see a doctor? If you fight three times a year, you're pulling in 60K, and that's assuming you lose every fight. Sounds decent to me.

(Yeah, yeah, "training camp fee" and all that. It's still a good amount of money.)

How is 20/20 not enough to see a doctor? If you fight three times a year, you're pulling in 60K, and that's assuming you lose every fight. Sounds decent to me.

(Yeah, yeah, "training camp fee" and all that. It's still a good amount of money.)

That's the new contract he was offered. Not what he was previously making

20/20? For a top-5 fighter about to reach the prime years of his career. That is seriously offensive. Plus Sterling is a finisher and has a lot of charisma. They have problems bringing up viable contenders at 135, and this guy could perfectly get there.
In another thread a guy posted a link to an article saying that the UFC's medical and dental was setting the standard for the sport industry.
Don't know what to believe but I'm curious about what their insurance coverage is like.

Apparently you don't know. At 20k He'd be lucky to take home 5k off it.

Look, I think pay should be higher, especially at the middle and top end. Those guys ARE the product.

But who tunes in, buys a PPV or a ticket for Sterling? Nobody, that's who. This is prizefighting and entertainment. I don't see what revenue he adds, as yet, and thus he shouldn't be earning above the mean.

I hope the UFC lets him go. Send a signal that you won't be leveraged, and he can pretend that Bellator is paying him big money. We all win. And those of us who pay minimal attention to Bellator can avoid him altogether.

In another thread a guy posted a link to an article saying that the UFC's medical and dental was setting the standard for the sport industry.
Don't know what to believe but I'm curious about what their insurance coverage is like.

I don't imagine fighters go to the doctor just for scratchy throats. I am sure they have serious issues that get checked out to make sure they are healthy (CATscans etc)

Mortgage 15k. Car and insurance 10k. Food, clothing, heat, phone, tv, internet etc 5-10k, property taxes 5k. Right there you have 40k gone. Training camp..........let's lowball and say 5-10k. So this guy makes 10k more then where he was the year before. Oh yes he pays his own travel to ufc events too I believe lol.

(Edit I forgot this guy has to pay taxes too lol)

Last edited:
He's forgetting about that Reebok money also, he can at least see a good Veterinarian with that.

Yeah, yeah, "training camp fee" and all that. It's still a good amount of money

heck no it's not. did you see this?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...xplains-how-much-it-costs-to-be-a-ufc-fighter

John Cholish estimates 8-12K per training camp. Say Sterling wins twice, loses once and pick the middle number on the camps ... 70K per year for a top contender who is damaging his long-term health? you can add in the 2500 per fight he gets from reebock, but he also has expenses outside of training camps ... heck, I make more money than that, and I'm a highschool teacher, not an elite athlete....

despite charisma and having won a few good fights, truth is he is not yet a draw

Seán Sheehan ‏@SeanSheehanBA 53m53 minutes ago

Aljamain Sterling says on OTB that he has never gotten a discretionary cheque more than $6,000.

I knew their discretionary bonuses weren't that great. Although if you think about it, if he was making 20/20 and won the fight, that's a 15% bonus check.

Aljo was 14/14 in his last fight against Eduardo, which would mean a $6000 check is around a 21.5% bonus.
He made 12/12 against against Mizugaki, which meant a $6000 bonus check was a 25% bonus over his win.
Aljo made 10/10 in his win over Wolverine Viana, which would mean a $6000 check was a 30% bonus above his win.
In his debut fight, he made 8/8 in his debut win over Cody Gibson, which would mean that the $6000 check was a 37.5% bonus on top of his win.

So his contract went from 8/8 to 10/10 to 12/12 to 14/14 after each win, and Aljo went 4-0 in the UFC to this point.
The offered increase from 14/14 to 20/20 is a ~43% (edited to correct bad calculations previously done on the fly, my bad y'all) salary bump, which isn't crazy if you think about it since he's been nowhere near a main card despite having three finishes among four wins in the UFC. No performance bonuses to this point, so it's a question of what he's worth to the UFC.

He hasn't been promoted as a name yet, and has not been featured on a major card yet outside of the preliminaries. I'm speaking objectively, outside of me being a personal fan of his.

Last edited:
Back