Any Aikido in MMA?

As someone who wrestled non-competitively for years and then did Jiu Jitsu casually in a BJJ club... I completely ragdolled an Aikido black belt when I tried it out... Was told it would have gone different in the streets. (I had over 15, years of striking at that point so I doubted it)

At this point I've done MMA a couple years, TMAs for two decades, and wrestling is the best part of my grappling game at BJJ tourneys.

I'd kill an aikido guy. Its fluff

The fact I wrecked a black belt when I myself pretty much knew nothing is telling

the thing is i wrestle,trained jiu jitsu muay thai and combat sambo. When i see a "gentle" art where two guys "cooperate" with each other with no resistanceand the whole philosophy is anti sparring,i cant really see what these guys are really gonna do when they get punched in the face,and have some teeth broken...buuuuuuut i would still take a class out of curiosity. There must be soemthing to it,even if its not applicable against someone who knows what they are doing. Gesse Howard uses it,it cant be all bad?!

There's a good Rogan interview with an Aikido guy. The guy admits its not really about fighting, it's about avoiding. An Aikido guy wont kick your ass but he probably could neutralize a fighter or be balanced enough to get away.

They practice balance, avoidance of entaglements or hits and using an opponents momentum to do this. In a sense this may be wiser and save you in a bar fight... If your going up against a boxer, it's prolly better to avert his attacks and move aside and trip him than try to exchange so it does make some sense in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aikido isn't for fighting. It's a spiritual thing.

The lack of full speed sparring against unchoreographed opponents will forever prevent aikido from being a fighting art.

HvW6ua.gif

Front-Kick-KO.gif

Yes, Master Seagal has trained many of the Champions. He taught Machida the front kick.

Yeah, definitely Machida's karate black belt dad/sensei wasn't the one to teach Machida a karate kick.

I've seen Seagal's movies. There would be broken bones all over the cage and likely death. :eek:

In all seriousness, I attended a few classes with an acquaintance in the early 90s. It was interesting because I was a young guy and there was so much philosophical stuff involved and I had already been involved in TMA for quite some time. But I never felt it was that applicable to any defense tactics and lost interest quickly. The McDojo 80s made a lot of things seem interesting due to Hollywood.

Aikido is the most elegant but the worst
wrestling is the least elegant and the best
BJJ is the blend

I did aikido at school in the 90s and was getting picked on by a kid in a grade above me. He was just standing there so I grabbed his wrist and put it into a twisting wristlock (using my own body to turn with it). the kid burst into tears after I left go and I was forever known as a bully after that for beating up a kid who was just teasing me.

So yes, clearly aikido works (if it's against kids who don't know they're about to be attacked).

Yeah, definitely Machida's karate black belt dad/sensei wasn't the one to teach Machida a karate kick.

He taught him a front kick...he didn't teach him THE front kick. Only Master Seagal carries that knowledge.

shows how it is, it's from jre #629

Back