Any Aikido in MMA?

I did aikido at school in the 90s and was getting picked on by a kid in a grade above me. He was just standing there so I grabbed his wrist and put it into a twisting wristlock (using my own body to turn with it). the kid burst into tears after I left go and I was forever known as a bully after that for beating up a kid who was just teasing me.

So yes, clearly aikido works (if it's against kids who don't know they're about to be attacked).

you learned the art, you tested it and found it to be true.
I took aikido in college, kid.

That's not atemi and that's not aikido.

well, i'll be damned. Are you serious? That's not really Aikido? Well, sht then.

Daniel%2BCormier%2Bvs%2BJon%2BJones%2B%283%29.gif

12145.jpg

you aren't allowed to do small joint manipulation, which is like 90% of aikido

you aren't allowed to do small joint manipulation, which is like 90% of aikido

Hahaha. Keep telling yourself that. That is the only reason it is not effective in mma! If small joint manipulation would be legal then aikido masters would dominate mma. I mean come ooon. It is 2016 andstill you morons think this shit is legit.

Hahaha. Keep telling yourself that. That is the only reason it is not effective in mma! If small joint manipulation would be legal then aikido masters would dominate mma. I mean come ooon. It is 2016 andstill you morons think this shit is legit.

What?

are you fucking retarded? that was the ultimate strawman

the thing is i wrestle,trained jiu jitsu muay thai and combat sambo. When i see a "gentle" art where two guys "cooperate" with each other with no resistanceand the whole philosophy is anti sparring,i cant really see what these guys are really gonna do when they get punched in the face,and have some teeth broken...buuuuuuut i would still take a class out of curiosity. There must be soemthing to it,even if its not applicable against someone who knows what they are doing. Gesse Howard uses it,it cant be all bad?!

I took Aikido for half a year and there was no "cooperation", mostly learning and practicing techniques. Granted, I didn't do any actual sparring either, not sure what they do in more advanced training.

If you haven't seen it used or mentioned odds are it doesn't work. Same reasons there are no king fu grand masters in MMA.
Aikido is worthless but Kung Fu is an effective martial art. Cung Le used it to great effect.

the thing is i wrestle,trained jiu jitsu muay thai and combat sambo. When i see a "gentle" art where two guys "cooperate" with each other with no resistanceand the whole philosophy is anti sparring,i cant really see what these guys are really gonna do when they get punched in the face,and have some teeth broken...buuuuuuut i would still take a class out of curiosity. There must be soemthing to it,even if its not applicable against someone who knows what they are doing. Gesse Howard uses it,it cant be all bad?!

I took Aikido for a year at the University of Hawaii and I believe it suffers primarily from training regimen and lack of sparring issues. If they had the same intensity in their training sessions as BJJ or muay thai practitioners do I suspect they'd do a lot better. Sure Segal is a fat geriatric blowhard now, but from the grainy black and white videos I've seen he was probably THE most violent instructor of Aikido back in the day. The Japanese weren't real fond of a white guy teaching their art back then.

Just imagine how bad BJJ would be if you never sparred. Imagine how bad the techniques would decay over the decades. This is what has happened to aikido.

I took Aikido for half a year and there was no "cooperation", mostly learning and practicing techniques. Granted, I didn't do any actual sparring either, not sure what they do in more advanced training.

It's almost universal among Aikido schools that they never do any sparring. The practice of the art is far too heavily influenced by their peace and harmony philosophy.

If you haven't seen it used or mentioned odds are it doesn't work. Same reasons there are no Kung fu grand masters in MMA.

Lol, this the worst kind of reasoning.
I've never seen it therefore it will never work.

That's true, TS. I haven't seen anyone get flipped by their pinky in this sport. I wonder...

There's actually a youtube video of bas rutten explaining why aikido is not used in mma. Keywords are bas rutten aikido

Too dangerous for the regulated environment of MMA.

Ninjitsu will dominate the UFC one day. Believe it.
American Ninjutsu or known as the NinjaShit is dominating already, last time Nate Diaz used it to win against a UFC champion. More is to come.

There are some interesting techniques in Aikido, specially a few good wrist locks. They can be used in self defense against untrained opponents. When I was 14 or 15 I trained Aikido for a little while and I managed to use a few wrist locks successfully against other kids.
The problem is, as you pointed, the overly cooperative training. There is no real resistance and every grip move your opponent does is made to purposely set up the locks you are going to use.
When I started training bjj, there was an Aikido class right before ours. One of their black belts started to train with us around the time I got my blue belt. It was pretty easy to submit him. I remember once as we started to roll he used an interesting move and was able to get a good position, but other than that it didn't help him much.

Back