Marlin 336c (lever action in 30-30) as first rifle

Damn, just found a second-hand 336c manufactured in 1994 in what appears to be mint-condition, shot like 100 rounds, going for around 550€ (while new, shitty ones go around 1100€).

Shouldn't that gun be even more expensive than the new ones ?

Maybe the european second-hand market for gun is so small, that the pricing (supply/demand) is totally inefficient compared to the USA.

Buy!!!!!

I'd imagine where you are there's not as many gun enthusiasts so less demand.

Last edited:
I want to see the groundhog explode.

Within a month I will order it. Scope got here today and Vortex, I knew they made great AR optics but goddamn, their even low end Viper scope without target turrets or any fancy shit like that feel like it's built like a tank.

Also, what better way to own a Weatherby magnum cartridge than with the Weatherby rifle model that got them famous?

My child will have a great set of guns:
-Two AR-15s
-One AR-10
-One Weatherby Vanguard 30-06
-One Weatherby Mark V .300 WeatherbyMag
-One Winchester Model 70 Alaska .300 WinMag
-One Winchester Model 70 Alaska .243 Win

And that's only part of the collection. There.s also a Savage model 91 in .300 Savage, the grand-daddy of them all that started the other .300 level cartridges and a 30-30 Winchester 94.

You have an iron sighted pre64 Alaskan in 243????

Damn, and that's siiiick!!!

Buy!!!!!

I'd imagine where you are there's not as many gun enthusiasts so less demand.

Honestly, I would, but :

- It's online so I wouldn't be able to see it first and it's not from a store. Not comfortable buying a used gun (of all possible items) online from a private person. Not like buying used DVDs for 20€ on Ebay.

- I don't have the shooting license yet, so I am still not allowed to purchase firearms.

But it pisses me off in a way because the market here is not deep at all. Might not have the opportunity in a while...

Oh fuck it, I'll just buy a brand new Winchester 94. They might not be as good as the Marlin336 (pre-2008), but they are not known for major issues like the shit I have been reading here about the Marlin 336.

I have looked all over the internet, and the consensus is pretty split on which rifle is the better one.

Honestly, I would, but :

- It's online so I wouldn't be able to see it first and it's not from a store. Not comfortable buying a used gun (of all possible items) online from a private person. Not like buying used DVDs for 20€ on Ebay.

- I don't have the shooting license yet, so I am still not allowed to purchase firearms.

But it pisses me off in a way because the market here is not deep at all. Might not have the opportunity in a while...

Oh fuck it, I'll just buy a brand new Winchester 94. They might not be as good as the Marlin336 (pre-2008), but they are not known for major issues like the shit I have been reading here about the Marlin 336.

I have looked all over the internet, and the consensus is pretty split on which rifle is the better one.

Winchester 94 is a good gun.

Not really a fan of the looks.

Why do you feel like you wouldn't buy used? Maybe the dude would take you shooting and let you try before buying?

Talk to the dude, maybe he'll hold it for you, I'm telling you, in general, gun people are cool.....

Rossi and uberti are both more options. The Henry rifles are ok, I read a comparison a few years ago on chuck Hawks that compared the Marlin and the Henry guide guns.

Is Uberti a solid manufacturer? I've ran across their stuff but I know nothing about them.

Dude that's really nice of you, thanks.

I honestly doubt that I'll travel to that region anytime soon, but if I do, I'll definitely consider it.

If you ever find yourself in Seattle, I'm down to show a brother around.

Is Uberti a solid manufacturer? I've ran across their stuff but I know nothing about them.

I think they are pretty good, lots of CAS guys use them and train pretty heavy with them.

The one thing I find goofy about the Winchester 94 is the ejection port. It's on the top of the receiver so having an optic will be mounted far forward:
Winchester-Model-94_5659.jpg

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Unlike the Marlin 336c:
marlin336SS3.jpg

Marlin336CS12.jpg

Why do you feel like you wouldn't buy used? Maybe the dude would take you shooting and let you try before buying?

Talk to the dude, maybe he'll hold it for you, I'm telling you, in general, gun people are cool.....

Dude, I don't have the licence yet, meaning that I won't be able to buy it.

So I can't tell the dude to wait for me to get the licence, which will be at the earliest in 2 months.

I also don't even know exactly where said dude is located in France, and I live in Germany (I only go to southern France on vacations, so for all I know the guy is literally on the other end of Europe).

So, well, you know, I am afraid I'll just have to let that 336 go.

Also, contrary to what seems to be the case in the US, in France second hand guns tend to sell at a discount, regardless of manufacturing year, meaning that I'll be able to find other older "good years" 336c or Win94.

The one thing I find goofy about the Winchester 94 is the ejection port. It's on the top of the receiver so having an optic will be mounted far forward:
Winchester-Model-94_5659.jpg

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Unlike the Marlin 336c:
marlin336SS3.jpg

Marlin336CS12.jpg

Yeah I am aware of that.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I wouldn't install a scope on a lever action.

Dad's got one on his Marlin 22 lever

Don't get me wrong. There's nonproblem scoping one out but for me, short lever guns are brush guns. The use for them installing shots that don't need a scoped rifle. Like hunting white tail in Michigan or something similar to that.

We have a bunch of cool lever guns and none of them are scoped. In fact, the pain in the was of hauling rifles through brush and alders is what go me interested in handgun hunting.

Don't get me wrong. There's nonproblem scoping one out but for me, short lever guns are brush guns. The use for them installing shots that don't need a scoped rifle. Like hunting white tail in Michigan or something similar to that.

We have a bunch of cool lever guns and none of them are scoped. In fact, the pain in the was of hauling rifles through brush and alders is what go me interested in handgun hunting.

Handgun hunting? Go on....

Handgun hunting? Go on....

I havnt done it yet but my dad has done quite a bit of it. I'd love to get a moose or an elk with a 44mag or my 454casull. You need to get much closer like with bow hunting so there's more of a challenge but I also think you could move more quickly and stalk better in heavy woods too.

Back