Marlin 336c (lever action in 30-30) as first rifle

Ya, the Rossi's are alright I guess.

I also have a "Taurus/Rossi" Circuit Judge, which is one of my favorite guns. I guess Taurus and Rossi collaborated on it. Thing's sweet.

Can't say I know too much about Henry, they're expensive, and have heard they're good.

I had a circuit judge and thought it was a worthless hunk of junk.

A 30-30 has significantly more energy than a .357 magnum.

So it's a better choice anyway.

Yeah, if you don't mind pulling out a stop watch from trigger pull to impact. Unless you're in thick brush, I see no reason to own a 30-30.

I had a circuit judge and thought it was a worthless hunk of junk.

Yeah, if you don't mind pulling out a stop watch from trigger pull to impact. Unless you're in thick brush, I see no reason to own a 30-30.

I liked my circuit judge, maybe you got a bad one, just personal preference.

Ya a 336 is a brush gun, that's exactly what it is. No one is going to take a 30-30 to the high desert.

Just to give you guys an update : I have been considering it and I am very likely to not get the shooting licence in France.

Instead, I am likely to pass the hunting licence in Germany (where i live).

It is something that I have considered in the past but eventually gave up on the idea since the prerequisites for it are a major headache and are absurdly time-consuming.

But now that I live in one of Germany's best regions for hunting (and generally outdoors stuff), I pretty much decided to just say fuck it and do it.

If you guys are up for a laugh, I'll post about hunting licences in Germany.

Anyways, that decision will delay my purchase of a rifle.

I'm always ready to laugh at the absurdity of European gun laws.

I'm always ready to laugh at the absurdity of European gun laws.

Ok, check this out...

In order to get the hunting licence in Germany, you need :
- 60 hours of theoretical instruction
- 60 hours of practical instruction

So 120 hours standard programme that covers among other things :
- hunting dogs
- forest ecosystems
- hunting and weapon law
- game diseases
- the different types of game
- weapons and ammo theory

Then, once you have provided proof that you attended your 120 hours, including a practical shooting certificate, you may sit for :
- a written exam
- an oral exam
- a practical exam

All in all the whole thing takes between 9 months and a year and a half, depending on the hunting school that you attend.

P.s. : no, this isn't a joke.

EDIT : I forgot to add that I had a look at the standard questions for the written part and well, it's pretty technical.

Like "which gender of specy XYZ is more likely to be found at higher altitude between months september-march : a) male b) female c) both".

Or "which of the following is an indication that specy ABC is infected with XYZ : a) falling hair around neck area b) swollen abdomen c) red eyes d) fetid smell of the stomach organ.

Or " a trap is legal for use on which of the following species, ....etc."

So I try to cheer myself up by thinking that I am going to learn a bunch about nature and wildlife.

Oh and since German isn't my native language and I was never exposed to discussions about wildlife in Germany, there was at least one word per question that was new to me.

Meh.

Last edited:
Back