Overwatch Official Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crankycracky#1318 if anybody wants to get a team together.. Im a pretty good tank with Rhinehardt and Roadhog... looking for a team with good communication and low drama.. hit me up

I don't think an independent developer like Splash Damage (Dirty Bomb) would have any problem building a game like Overwatch. The difference is they don't have resources to 'promote' the game like Blizzard does. I also find it interesting that Overwatch has a 91 MC score, and Dirty Bomb has a 63 MC score... yet Dirty Bomb actually has a higher User Score. It's amazing what unlimited resources can achieve.

Anyways, not hating on the game. I had fun during the beta, and I hope everyone enjoys it. I'm just a bit surprised at all the acclaim.

Overwatch is a game for casuals and Dirty Bomb is a game for hardcore players, Dirty Bomb requires a lot of skill to play and has a lot of depth. Overwatch requires less skill and can be learned fairly quickly.

Overwatch can be fun with friends and I would have bought it if my friends did but we all got tired of it during the beta, it's extremely repetitive and lacks depth.

Play of the game is a cool addittion, I remember predicting something like this would happen when playing Tribes: Ascend and you were awarded medals for long range kills and mid-air kills etc, I think the next evolution is allowing you to save all your plays and then make highlights out of them in-game.

There is more depth and skill involved in Overwatch that people give it credit for.

Being effective with multiple characters, switching multiple times per game depending on which part of the map you are on can have huge effects on the outcomes of games.

this game will be around and heavy on the esports scene for the next couple of years

Mechanics of the game are tailored to casual players and not high tier play. Ammo is unlimited, CD's of a characters two abilities are far to low, acquiring ones Ultimate is to easy, stacking of the same Hero on a team is common and from an observer standpoint the screen is far to cluttered during team fights.

Now the competitive format is also counter productive. Wins are based off time, not round wins. Requiring a different clock to be shown on screen than the official countdown timer.

If the game intends to become an eSport. Ultimate ability acquisition needs to be doubled, two character core abilities CD's need to be tripled, ammo will probably need longer reload times with lesser bullet count within the clip and character pick/ban phase has to happen so the same character cant be on the same team or on separate teams.

Last edited:
There is more depth and skill involved in Overwatch that people give it credit for.

Being effective with multiple characters, switching multiple times per game depending on which part of the map you are on can have huge effects on the outcomes of games.

Just won a game where we were getting slaughtered pretty bad trying to capture point B then a couple people on the team switched to tank and we managed to push the point with me healing. Once this game gets competitive I think we'll see some pretty interesting games where people are switching heroes depending on the need during the match. Communication in this game is key as well.

Mechanics of the game are tailored to casual players and not high tier play. Ammo is unlimited, CD's of a characters two abilities are far to low, acquiring ones Ultimate is to easy, stacking of the same Hero on a team is common and from an observer standpoint the screen is far to cluttered during team fights.

Now the competitive format is also counter productive. Wins are based off time, not round wins. Requiring a different clock to be shown on screen than the official countdown timer.

If the game intends to become an eSport. Ultimate ability acquisition needs to be doubled, two character core abilities CD's need to be tripled, ammo will probably need longer reload times with lesser bullet count within the clip and character pick/ban phase has to happen so the same character cant be on the same team or on separate teams.

1357-ha.png

I can't even tell if you're serious or not. You basically want to change the core mechanics of the game completely. Now I admit there are some issues with the game but what you're suggesting is laughable.

I don't think you are really looking into how esports work..or games in general.. let's consider nascar... now nascar is the most simple concept there is.. cars drive in a circle.. the one in front after x amount of laps is the winner.. The people that made those simple rules arent the people that make the sport complex... the racers are.. they have tweaked their engines, learned how to reduce drag, learned how to get the most laps out of a tire... etc... this is what Im getting at.. Blizz gave us a simple game.. the players will make it complex as they perfect each role...

Well, everyone should have known. Another Blizzard game, another simplistic, casual pop game for the masses. I should know, I'm a hardcore gamer and that's not what this game is. I'd know because I'm a hardcore gamer.

The UI and feedback are too easy to understand. The controls? Too responsive. Anybody can pick up this game and start having fun. That's not for me, I'm a hardcore gamer.

What the game needs is an abundance of mechanics, even if they're cumbersome. Leveling up with adjustable stats would be perfect. Then I could go online and see the best way to put the points and then I can yell at anyone who doesn't spend their points "correctly" because I'm a hardcore gamer.

I would also accept an expansive set of items, only 5 of which would ever be used and only as a counter to a specific circumstance. Anyone who didn't pick the correct item isn't a hardcore gamer.

They should patch in a huge, Labrynthine skill tree where only a handful of the points actually matter and the rest are meager stat improvements that only make a difference after hours and hours of play. Immediate gratification and lack of grinding are the bane of hardcore gamers like me, and I know because I'm a hardcore gamer.

I honestly think Blizzard is stuck in the past. Their focus on critically praised games with legions of fans that have record breaking sales and are played for years doesn't fit in with the hardcore fanbase like me, which I know about being a hardcore gamer myself.

The lack of depth to their games is obvious to anyone hardcore. Like me. Fanboys argue otherwise but they're casuals which I'm certainly not. It's just like when chess fanboys argue that their game has depth, lol. Only 6 different types of pieces to move? Why not 10? And the game board only has 64 squares? LOL, map is too small. It's a causal game for casuals but I'm a hardcore board gamer, too.

Last edited:
Well, everyone should have known. Another Blizzard game, another simplistic, casual pop game for the masses. I should know, I'm a hardcore gamer and that's not what this game is. I'd know because I'm a hardcore gamer.

The UI and feedback are too easy to understand. The controls? Too responsive. Anybody can pick up this game and start having fun. That's not for me, I'm a hardcore gamer.

What the game needs is an abundance of mechanics, even if they're cumbersome. Leving up with adjustable stats would be perfect. Then I could go online and see the best way to put the points and then I can yell at anyone who doesn't spend their points "correctly" because I'm a hardcore gamer.

I would also accept an expansive set of items, only 5 of which would ever be used and only as a counter to a specific circumstance. Anyone who didn't pick the correct item isn't a hardcore gamer.

They should patch in a huge, Labrynthine skill tree where only a handful of the points actually matter and the rest are meager star improvements. Immediate gratification and lack of grinding are the bane of hardcore gamers like me, and I know because I'm a hardcore gamer.

I honestly think Blizzard is stuck in the past. Their focus on critically praised games with legions of fans that have record breaking sales and are played for years doesn't fit in with the hardcore fanbase like me, which I know about being a hardcore gamer myself.

The lack of depth to their games is obvious to anyone hardcore. Like me. Fanboys argue otherwise but they're casuals which I'm certainly not. It's just like when chess fanboys argue that their game has depth, lol. Only 6 different types of pieces to move? Why not 10? And the game board only has 64 squares? LOL, map is too small. It's a causal game for casuals but I'm a hardcore board gamer, too.

You want options? U feckin casuI

I want only one move to master because I'm a hardcore gamer. Divekick is the most hardcore game ever. Everyone else sucks at it but I'm the best so fucking rip]

Seriously though - PMSL Bob - post of the year.

I've been having some fun with the game so far but it's pointless to play online without friends.

Half the people just see it as team death match and no one tries to coordinate as a team.

It's also really retarded when the other team just picks like 3 turret guys on defense and camps the whole time. You can stop it but not unless people all pick certain characters at once which isn't happening in public matches lmao.

The long distance from respawn to the battle also ends up making so many matches just turn into an endless saga of all the players being spread out and 1-2 players rushing the other team and dying because they're outnumbered and then rinse repeat as no one is grouped up because of how the respawns are staggered.

Never got a POTG until just now - got out of my Widowmaker comfort zone and tried Genji. Got POTG my first time using him in a match (only used him in training before). This game is awesome.

I've been having some fun with the game so far but it's pointless to play online without friends.

Half the people just see it as team death match and no one tries to coordinate as a team.

A good way to avoid shitty groups is to be the know it all... shamelessly.. I don't care what people think of me, my teams win more than they lose because I open each group with instructions.. "stay tight and we will be a ball of death.. fight on the objective..not away from it".... more often than not people are stoked that somebody said what needed to be said and we win..

if you guys already knew, awesome, if not a helpful tip

Winston is a big counter to Reinhardt. Weapon goes through his shield

Also if they have a symmetra, take winston, easy kills on her sentries

if you guys already knew, awesome, if not a helpful tip

Winston is a big counter to Reinhardt. Weapon goes through his shield

Also if they have a symmetra, take winston, easy kills on her sentries
That's what they say, but I fucked WInston up with Rhinehardt... if I see him, I drop the shield and club the shit out of him..lol

One thing they need to change is how play of the game works. It seems to be based on number of consecutive kills, and I've seen some exceptional plays that while they didn't result in a high kill count, never got recognition. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back