$2,000 Headphones...Yay or Nay?

It also depends on what your headphones are plugged into. $2000 headphones plugged into shitty stereo or ol' computer with stock sound won't be good. They not for everyone.

9c88f86c-4de8-47e1-b7f3-aece4a36ec8e_audeze-lcd3.jpg

First thing that I noticed were the philips head screws. They make it look cheap. Should have used titanium torx (maybe even add covers to them). Secondly - the holes cut in the covers themselves: too evenly spaced. They could have modeled them to maximize air flow.

Anyway - has the $450 wood volume knob been brought in this thread yet? I'm sure it has.

200511071155.jpg

You'd think for 2000 bucks they could at least make them look decent.

I have headphones on for maybe 12 hours everyday. But yeah, wouldn't have any use for those.

Nay.

I'll stick with my tried and true DJ headphones: Sony MDR-V700. I think I paid $100 for them back in 1999 and they're still going strong.

Hell no.

Got my Sony headphones for a tenner and they're perfectly fine.

If the sound quality was noticeably different and I had a lot of money.. I might, lol. However, I like my Shure's just fine now :D

I love my Sennheiser headphones that I paid 250$ for (4 years ago). The only problem is that the 5 o'clock shadow that I usually have ripped apart the 'lethery' material that covers the cushions over the years.

Damn, you got a pair of headphones that lasted 4 years?? I can't get a pair to last more than 6 months, but I use them every day. How often do you use the Sennheisers? Do you ever workout with them on?

Fuck no!!!! Do you know how many hookers I could buy with that instead?

In I had a million dollars of disposable income every month, I might spend that much on headphones.

3000 dollar headsets to play mp3s that are frequency clipped. Smart.

My dad was a taper for the Grateful Dead and was even a soundboard guy for awhile, and i will tell you that so many people overpay for audio equipment. You would see these guys who have never taped using $8000 mics and they were dumbfounded when their recordings would come out like shit. My dad mainly uses Sennheiser 421's (the MKII version), but uses other mics depending where the show is, how far away he is, etc.

Anyways, he obviously owned a lot of pairs of headphones since he was a taper and his favorite and my favorite were the Sony MDR-V6's. They made several new versions of that headphone that are good as well and you can find them new for about $150-$160 on eBay or around $100 used. They are a great deal and tons of audio professionals and sound engineers use them. The Howard Stern show has like 6+ pairs and Howard himself still uses them. I've seen many musicians use them as well, so if they are good enough for them then i think they are good enough for me.

Same with speakers. Yes, you can go and spend thousands on them, but you get diminishing returns. I have speakers that cost more (polks, yamahas, JBL's) but for example my 16 year old Sony floorstanders i think sound almost as good and they cost like $200 for the pair.

Last edited:
Bunch of broke ass busters ITT.

an ex of mine bought me $100 bose earbuds, and they're still working fine for me. aside from that, i have sennheiser headphones for home-use. i'm content with that, unless they drop the prices on the models above the two i mentioned.

That's way too much but I have no use for headphones so what do I know.

3000 dollar headsets to play mp3s that are frequency clipped. Smart.
I'm no audio engineer but I think you can use them on differs file types, and possibly even anslog!

Back