Why do restaurant wait staff deserve such high pay?

I like tipping when something over the top has been done, something extra.

This automatic tipping, automatically adding on 20℅ after a meal is bullshit.

exactly, and if we did not have tips then the extra would be auto on your food.

I wonder how much that would be, and how much it would effect service?

but as far as sharing it more fairly with other servants, well, it ain't the same thing. the bus boys and dish washers and all that shit are not doing the job the waitress is who is really as big of a part of return customers as the food is.

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about anyone working in public service period. Your point regarding this is therefor moot. I do agree that good service is important, and one would think tipping would provide incentive toward better service, but I receive mixed service no matter where I go regarding people providing service, so I'm not to sure the service would be all that much worse without tipping, as some people are motivated to give good service based on their personal characteristics, or philosophy. Not to mention, many people give good service without gratuity's, or they lose there job.

What happens if you dont tip and return next week ?

Are foreigners expected to tip ?
I wouldn't tip.

I dont know if there is a difference since I was never in the industry but I do know some bartenders that made minimum wage but pulled in 500-800 bucks a night in tips. That is after tipping the kitchen and everybody else. Albeit these bartenders were good looking and have huge racks but still

I know the tipping debate has been done before and it's a pretty stupid system but we won't go there. My question is why do people believe wait staff deserve so such a high wage? Wait staff can make 20+ dollars an hour for carrying food, that's more than many important "skilled jobs" in America. Every hard working person deserves a livable wage but I fail to see why restaurant wait staff deserve so much more than important skilled jobs.
You'd be in the weeds in 10 seconds.

I dont know if there is a difference since I was never in the industry but I do know some bartenders that made minimum wage but pulled in 500-800 bucks a night in tips. That is after tipping the kitchen and everybody else. Albeit these bartenders were good looking and have huge racks but still
Difference between bartenders and servers. Bartenders usually always make more because they get tipped out and they don't tip out anything really

I know the tipping debate has been done before and it's a pretty stupid system but we won't go there. My question is why do people believe wait staff deserve so such a high wage? Wait staff can make 20+ dollars an hour for carrying food, that's more than many important "skilled jobs" in America. Every hard working person deserves a livable wage but I fail to see why restaurant wait staff deserve so much more than important skilled jobs.
You've just asked yourself one of the most important questions and taken the first steps towards being a fiscal conservative. Want a better life? Develop the skills or education to have a better job. It's the easiest thing to comprehend in the world. If you want something, work your ass off for it.

To answer your initial question, I don't think being a waiter should be the kind of job that garners particularly high wages. The chef is the real hero of the meal.

You'd be in the weeds in 10 seconds.

lol - That phrase brought me back.

At the restaurant where I worked, you usually started as a busboy (server age for alcohol was 21 in Colorado at the time).

When we'd get a new busser, we'd all have to keep an eye on him/her. It was so predictable... about 30-45 minutes into the rush, they'd have that deer in the headlights look, freaking out because they couldn't keep up.

"Fucking newbie is in the weeds again"

Then we'd all jump in and help them catch up...

Turning 21 was great for us then, because that meant we'd graduate to server.

Little did I know that I would be that Newbie again, freaking out on my first Friday night.

I'm not going to try to find it again, but in one of the old tipping threads, there was an article that claimed they surveyed several waiters/waitresses at the major chain restaurants to see what they ended up taking home per hour. Most were between $11-$13 which seemed pretty accurate to me. I don't know why people always seem so unreasonable in threads on tipping. The average waiter isn't raking in a great hourly wage.

Work in general should be pay for performance... this is why the unions are bullshit.. it doesn't give any worker incentive to work hard.. Everyone gets the same raise/pay based on a bargaining agreement. It creates lazy workers.

They fucking passed 11th grade bro of course they deserve more money than someone who actually uses their brain.

Work in general should be pay for performance... this is why the unions are bullshit.. it doesn't give any worker incentive to work hard.. Everyone gets the same raise/pay based on a bargaining agreement. It creates lazy workers.
God damn right

All those people who say working with public sucks. I agree but that's a poor argument. McDonald workers infamously make minimum wage and the lowest and the low job. But they deal with the public too.
The point is it's a low skill job that anyone can do, and therefore the pay should illustrate that.

I never tip. People who lie on their tax returns every year don't deserve it.

I personally know a waitress that makes 25$+ per hour or so and doesn't file her tips on her tax returns as well. It's horse shit.

All those people who say working with public sucks. I agree but that's a poor argument. McDonald workers infamously make minimum wage and the lowest and the low job. But they deal with the public too.
The point is it's a low skill job that anyone can do, and therefore the pay should illustrate that.

Personally I think anyone who works outside in Texas summer has a much much harder job.

because generally speaking they be hawt bitches.

Why do people feel like they deserve to have food cooked and served to them for x price ? Does someone somehow owe you a cheap and delicious meal served with a smile at the price you demand ? Its not that difficult, if you don't like the cost don't go out.......really all there is to it. People insisting on it otherwise are the real entitled ones, not the ones providing the service.

Some waiters are amazing. Was out to eat with 18 Co workers one time. The waiter took everyone's order with no pen or paper. No clue how he got everything right but he did.

Back