Why do restaurant wait staff deserve such high pay?

Why do people feel like they deserve to have food cooked and served to them for x price ? Does someone somehow owe you a cheap and delicious meal served with a smile at the price you demand ? Its not that difficult, if you don't like the cost don't go out.......really all there is to it. People insisting on it otherwise are the real entitled ones, not the ones providing the service.

you do realize that without customers the service wouldnt even exist right?

you do realize that without customers the service wouldnt even exist right?

I fully realize that , I also realize that people have been paying for the PRIVILEGE of eating out for eons at this point. When the price becomes to high too justify it the price will come down. Until then why SHOULD they provide said service for less at a detriment to thesmselves?

Do feel that equally as strongly that apple should charge less for the iphone simply because you think its too much and someone owes it to cheaper? Free market ......supply and demand , all that stuff at work here.

If its such an onerous burden to pay those plebes to handle your food and provide a place to eat it , don't participate.

The chef is the real hero of the meal.
The chef is the real hero of the meal.[/QUOTE]
I myself think it's counter-intuitive. Yes, we tend to believe the chef is the one to whom we immolate, but it's really the waitstaff who are the face of the dining experience. Even the people who demand to see the chef usually kick up a stink first with the server. I think the reason we pay/tip -- or more importantly why we don't -- is due largely to the overall experience, more than the food itself.

I think people regarding tipping too personally, like they want it to make a personal statement.

What happens if you dont tip and return next week ?

Are foreigners expected to tip ?
I wouldn't tip.

I hope you like seminal fluid on your cheese steak.

And yes , filthy peasant foreigners are still expected to tip, just like they are expected to NOT wipe their ass with a bare hand when they are here. You know, the whole " when in Rome " thing.

The chef is the real hero of the meal.
I myself think it's counter-intuitive. Yes, we tend to believe the chef is the one to whom we immolate, but it's really the waitstaff who are the face of the dining experience. Even the people who demand to see the chef usually kick up a stink first with the server. I think the reason we pay/tip -- or more importantly why we don't -- is due largely to the overall experience, more than the food itself.

I think people regarding tipping too personally, like they want it to make a personal statement.[/QUOTE]
I tip because that's the way that the experience is structured. I don't take any issue with the act of tipping.

That said, I agree that we tip based on the overall experience. However, the preponderance of the experience is the quality of the food. An attentive waiter will not make up for a skewered meal, and there's really no way of being able to tell the quality of it without tasting it. In this way, the waiter is a merely a conduit. The real exchange is between the chef and the customer. The waiter is just responsible for keeping my water glass full, making sure I have silverware when I get there, and some of the other details.

Did this turn into a tipping thread? Look, if you don't tip, you are an asshole. Regardless of whether or not wait staff rely on tips since they earn less than minimum wage, it is a social convention that needs to be followed simply because it is expected and you are signaling that the service was bad when you don't tip. You are also signaling that you are a giant asshole. If you don't want to spend the money on a tip, you can go to McDonalds or any number of places where they don't wait on you and you don't have to tip. But if you want the experience of having people make your food to order and get your drinks for you, clear your plate for you, etc., you had better tip.

I hope you like seminal fluid on your cheese steak.

And yes , filthy peasant foreigners are still expected to tip, just like they are expected to NOT wipe their ass with a bare hand when they are here. You know, the whole " when in Rome " thing.

Well ill keep that in mind if i ever travel to the states. Wanking on cheese steaks will get your fired, so maybe put your cock back in your pants. I would still feel uncomfortable tipping, its not something im used to.

Youre right TS labor should always be paid the absolute minimum that it is worth that way we have a thriving economy and no one is on the welfare.

Well ill keep that in mind if i ever travel to the states. Wanking on cheese steaks will get your fired, so maybe put your cock back in your pants. I would still feel uncomfortable tipping, its not something im used to.

Whether or not you " feel comfortable " with it matters little, its accepted and common practice. Go to Afghanistan with your boyfriend and claim you dont " feel comfortable" concealing your man love......see how far that gets ya.

Look man , I get its a cultural thing , im just not sure why you'd expect some chick making 2.13 an hour as a waitress to do the little mental arithmetic neccesary to be ok with you not tipping. Its pretty obvious imo, that in a cursory encounter nobody is gonna consider your place of birth when judging you on your conduct.

Did this turn into a tipping thread? Look, if you don't tip, you are an asshole. Regardless of whether or not wait staff rely on tips since they earn less than minimum wage, it is a social convention that needs to be followed simply because it is expected and you are signaling that the service was bad when you don't tip. You are also signaling that you are a giant asshole. If you don't want to spend the money on a tip, you can go to McDonalds or any number of places where they don't wait on you and you don't have to tip. But if you want the experience of having people make your food to order and get your drinks for you, clear your plate for you, etc., you had better tip.

I always tip 20% without hesitation but I think society should get away from such a weird/archaic means of paying for services. Raise the price of the services/goods and be done with it. No more fucking tip jars, no more debates about why black people don't tip or other freeloaders who don't believe in tipping..... and no more under the table money hiding from uncle sam.

In a quality establishment they're expected to know the menu(ingredients and preparation), beer and wine lists, pairings, and this can often change on top of duties mentioned. I am a believer that service staff is woefully undercompensated. If you're a real gentleperson you'd slip the busser a few dollars.

What you don't get because you are a fucking ketchup eater is that a good waitress can mean the difference between someone choosing one restaurant overt another. Period.
If it was not for tipping, then YOUR FUCKING FOOD would cost more. In fact, they would probably just add 20% grat. So, you have a fucking choice of how much to tip because this is america and land of free choice.
Go to china with your cheap ass whining.

/thread
There is no tipping in China. And also much better service.

They don't make that much at all and they are also in a position with no advancement opportunities. It is one of the most dead end jobs out there.

Fair enough, but we do not live in a world that politically, or economically will ever set the min-wage to a livable standard that we desire.

Maybe if we lived in a actual democracy that valued education, scientific evidence and the like we would, but then there is the "problem" of population control that many political and economic theorists cannot, or will not address within the current paradigm.
You do understand the slim margins restaurants operate under, correct? Even the most successful ones can be teetering in the red. Tips have a direct relationship to the price of food. They aren't an arbitrary social construct started, well, just because.

..............dealing with annoying customers that haven't been taught proper restaurant etiquette.

I was a waiter once upon a time and I didn't make jack shit because I sucked at it.

You do understand the slim margins restaurants operate under, correct? Even the most successful ones can be teetering in the red. Tips have a direct relationship to the price of food. They aren't an arbitrary social construct started, well, just because.

Yes I am aware.
And yes there are a social construct started for a reason, its just one that I question it's merit.

Before I engage with you please do me a favor and read all of my posts before hand, so I don't have to keep repeating myself due to lack of information and comprehension.

Thank you.

people that think that being a server is just carrying food have never done the job. it is much more than that. for example, it is dealing with obnoxious assholes who think you dont deserve anything above minimum wage while treating you like an asshole, and doing it with a smile.

it's getting triple sat and having one of those tables having 3 kids who need chocolate milk in a styrofoam cup, and meanwhile the other tables wonder why you didnt get to them in 60 seconds while you are in the back looking for where they hid the chocolate fucking syrup.

Totally true. This is why I'm super picky when it comes to tipping, because I've been in the trenches.

I went to lunch Saturday with a very old friend who also worked as a server and for the first time in our lives we didn't tip him shit because he was terrible. Didn't even give us a refill on our drinks once.

I'm more concerned with why it's ok to hire anything less than an 8 to serve me my meals. Also, all servers should be female. Dudes shouldn't be allowed out of the back, even to collect my dishes.

Back