Why do restaurant wait staff deserve such high pay?

They are.

They get a percentage of everyones tips.

If you had ever been on the other side of the table you would know this.
No they aren't. Its actually illegal to b let required to tip cooks in most states.

As a waiter you usually have to give a percentage of your tips to the bartenders, busters, and sometimes people that expedite your food.

If you're in a restaurant that has an executive chef, they're on salary. Chain restaurants don't have chefs, just cooks and a kitchen manager.

I think most waiters make around $100-$200 a night. Great waiters make more like 2-$300. Its really not that much money. Go try it out for a few months and come back. Its not that easy, I don't think its the toughest job in the world.. But it isn't cake

They are.

They get a percentage of everyones tips.

If you had ever been on the other side of the table you would know this.

Everyplace has different tipping policy's bro. If you are going to argue, be sure to at least implement intellectual honesty. Your experiential authority is no greater than my own, so lets just stick to the facts.

I love how wait staff and former wait staff get pissed and claim it's so hard... It ain't.

The Job may suck but it ain't hard nor does it require skill. Cutting hair requires skill, tattooing requires skill, building a house requires skill taking food and drinks from the kitchen to the tables does not.

Good help is hard to find. + They really only rake it in when they are super busy.

Slow or busy, both scenarios provide opportunity to extract heavy tips.

Bringing people food is a "talent"?

You sound like you serve people food for a living.

An education is required to be any good. Knowledge applied is no joke.

Only time I've never tipped was by accident and the person was a delivery driver ffs. I went outside to signal to her to come back to get her tip and she flicked me off.

Now I understand if she was a waitress but literally all she did was drive and deliver. No smile, no "have a good day", nothing. How the fuck did you earn a tip?

Good luck getting an honest answer.

I like how the OP say's he's talking about hourly wages and specifically says he doesn't want this to be a tipping thread, but Mayberry just can't help themselves.

The onious is on the OP.

It has nothing to do with "Mayberry" people, and has more to do with how the OP was worded.

Don't blame the catcher for a shitty throw.

And "education" is required to be good and bringing people food? Education in what?

Read some of my other posts.

Philosophy, art, science can be applied to all human output. Knowledge acquired, assimilated, and put into action yields different results.

I know the tipping debate has been done before and it's a pretty stupid system but we won't go there. My question is why do people believe wait staff deserve so such a high wage? Wait staff can make 20+ dollars an hour for carrying food, that's more than many important "skilled jobs" in America. Every hard working person deserves a livable wage but I fail to see why restaurant wait staff deserve so much more than important skilled jobs.
They do make a lot, as someone who was a cook for 7 years, the pay discrepancy is insane. I've been lit on fire, burned, cut, stabbed. I did all the heavy lifting. I scrubbed the floors. Cooks are the ones who help dishwashers move metric shit tons of disgusting crap. Waitresses work hard but the playing field needs to be evened.

Whatever... Server's don't make an hourly wage, something like $3 or $4 per hour (or it used to be), so a majority of their pay is from tips.

Therefore, if this clown thinks they make too money, then he's implying that people shouldn't tip them so much.

Perhaps there is something inherently wrong with the pay structure.

I believe there is.
There is an outdated perception that these people are lower on the hierarchical totem poll for their service given.

The tipping arguments are largely based on perceived social norms and not on any scientific, or logical means of imperial deduction
What about all the other jobs where people are served all day? Somehow food is the only service that warrants tipping, it is not logical, just a human convention that is based on imagined stratified hierarchy.

Energy in trade for energy.....it doesn't warrant such compensation if measured mathematically, its only when the social dimension comes into play that we see a dramatic shift in perceived value, and this value is not applied uniformly to other similar vocations.
I got rustled beef bro.

Last edited:
i'll be honest and say that i personally wouldn't do that job, and i think they deserve that kind of money for two reasons: i think being a waiter or waitress is a bit demeaning.

RG0BS1U.gif

so they can invest better for their children so they won't need welfare if things got so shitty in their lives

so they can invest better for their children so they won't need welfare if things got so shitty in their lives

That's not an argument that stands well in a gentle breeze.

I know the tipping debate has been done before and it's a pretty stupid system but we won't go there. My question is why do people believe wait staff deserve so such a high wage? Wait staff can make 20+ dollars an hour for carrying food, that's more than many important "skilled jobs" in America. Every hard working person deserves a livable wage but I fail to see why restaurant wait staff deserve so much more than important skilled jobs.

What you don't get because you are a fucking ketchup eater is that a good waitress can mean the difference between someone choosing one restaurant overt another. Period.
If it was not for tipping, then YOUR FUCKING FOOD would cost more. In fact, they would probably just add 20% grat. So, you have a fucking choice of how much to tip because this is america and land of free choice.
Go to china with your cheap ass whining.

/thread

What you don't get because you are a fucking ketchup eater is that a good waitress can mean the difference between someone choosing one restaurant overt another. Period.
If it was not for tipping, then YOUR FUCKING FOOD would cost more. In fact, they would probably just add 20% grat. So, you have a fucking choice of how much to tip because this is america and land of free choice.
Go to china with your cheap ass whining.

/thread

:eek:"ketchup eater" harsh

Tips are to be earned, it's not a given.

I am all up for organic incentive based gratuities, but proportionality and fairness as applied to others who work as "servants" is a must for me.

Back