Alvarez talk about mcgregor boxing skills and say..

Because striking is a science, and specific punches and kicks are called so for a reason. This isn't like calling a palm down hook and a palm in hook different things.

II see you're point but its just so fucking irritating when you write a post on Sherdogg and people quote you only to correct the terminology without commenting on ANYTHING that has to do with point you wanted to get out there. I read posts all the time where the discussion has nothing to do with what TS was trying to start because someone wanted to correct someone and all of a sudden thats the "new" topic. Just like we are discussing this shit in a post where TS was talking about something else because I used some kind of wrong term even though you and others knew what I was referring to.
I like being corrected so I can learn, but its just stupid when correcting with out even addressing the content of the post you are correcting. English is not my first language so please start correcting my grammar when you're at it ;-)

Interestingly

Most people use pull counters now a days from the philly shell or defensive posture similar to that.
In old boxing books when you pull counter, the illustrations often have you extending your lead outwards to either the shoulder or forehead while rolling the shoulder up to defend against a possible right, then rocking forward to try to beat the jab back to the chin
It makes the pull slower though

Yeah, that's the way I was taught. I'm just not fast enough plus against a guy who feints/sets up well it's too hard. I'd only ever try if I had been trying to bait for one, even then I'm too slow :(

II see you're point but its just so fucking irritating when you write a post on Sherdogg and people quote you only to correct the terminology without commenting on ANYTHING that has to do with point you wanted to get out there. I read posts all the time where the discussion has nothing to do with what TS was trying to start because someone wanted to correct someone and all of a sudden thats the "new" topic. Just like we are discussing this shit in a post where TS was talking about something else because I used some kind of wrong term even though you and others knew what I was referring to.
I like being corrected so I can learn, but its just stupid when correcting with out even addressing the content of the post you are correcting. English is not my first language so please start correcting my grammar when you're at it ;-)

Why can't you just be happy you learned something new? Is your ego frail?

Here's a free piece of condescending coaching for you: if you really do box check your fucking ego at the door. Whenever you learn something new about technique, lap that shit up or you'll never improve.

Why can't you just be happy you learned something new? Is your ego frail?
Dont know if you read the whole thing so hers a summary: Im happy to be corrected so I can learn something new, but it would be nice if also one can comment of the content in the post to keep the discussion going.

The hardest aspect of Conor's technique to deal with is his aggression.

Agree. Mcgregor is a very aggressive counter striker. He is in your face for most of the time so you are tempted to throw but when do, you are in danger of getting countered.

Dont know if you read the whole thing so hers a summary: Im happy to be corrected so I can learn something new, but it would be nice if also one can comment of the content in the post to keep the discussion going.

You're original post asks specifically why nobody talks about Conors teeps, how am I suppose to know you didn't actually mean teeps?

As for Conor's other kicks, there's plenty of discussion about them, usually along the lines of "OMFG Conor has the greatest kicks in the history of limbs!!11"

To me it feels like Eddie is down playing Conors skills, and thats sad IMO. Ive heard hes trainer Mark Henry thrash Conors skills time and time again and hope to god that its only talk and that they see this fight as a big challange.
I want to se a top motivated Eddie with diamond sharpened skills go up against an elite cardio machine in Conor.

You're original post asks specifically why nobody talks about Conors teeps, how am I suppose to know you didn't actually mean teeps?

As for Conor's other kicks, there's plenty of discussion about them, usually along the lines of "OMFG Conor has the greatest kicks in the history of limbs!!11"

You're right.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a teep is basically a jab. McGregor doesn't like to jab because he likes to use his lead hand for power or hand checks. He uses a teep to create space.

Snap kicks are thrown with bad intentions. Teeps are thrown for distance and timing.

To me it feels like Eddie is down playing Conors skills, and thats sad IMO. Ive heard hes trainer Mark Henry thrash Conors skills time and time again and hope to god that its only talk and that they see this fight as a big challange.
I want to se a top motivated Eddie with diamond sharpened skills go up against an elite cardio machine in Conor.

Something changed with Henrys attitude for sure. Actually he talks about it is this random youtube video that was suggested to me. I'll find it!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a teep is basically a jab. McGregor doesn't like to jab because he likes to use his lead hand for power or hand checks. He uses a teep to create space.

Snap kicks are thrown with bad intentions. Teeps are thrown for distance and timing.

Usually yah. But there are bad motherfuckera who will fuck your world up with a teep.

I just wanted to mention this is a refreshing thread for the heavies. Talking about fighting sans all the usual bullshit is rad.

I just wanted to mention this is a refreshing thread for the heavies. Talking about fighting sans all the usual bullshit is rad.

TK always has interesting technical takes. He's one of the guys here who's actually gone out and learned about what he has an opinion about.

Wallah, Henry on Conor.

LOL at this interview. Mark and the interviewer thinks Edmund T. is Conors coach!
Sounds like Mark has a more realistic view of Conors skills. And thats good to know!
Thanks

A teep is a push front kick.

Conor snaps it. It wasn't a teep against Mendes... At least not that I remember.
This.

A teep is a push kick used to disrupt an opponent's advance and/or rhythm. They (usually) don't do much damage. They are the jab (or eyepoke if you're Browne or JJ) of the kicking game. If a guy is charging forward, it can absolutely knock them down, though. Targets for teeps are anything from hips to lower abdomen, basically center of gravity, although if a guy is really committing forward, a teep placed higher can put them straight on their ass.

The front snap is your guy for body shots that can hurt/sap endurance. It's very fast but usually not as powerful as a side kick or turning back kick but you can make it really penetrate if you have great form and land with only the ball of your foot (karate, generally) with toes pulled back or heel (kung-fu, generally).

iirc, Conor mostly throws snap kicks (karate style or sometimes pretty poor foot form, actually landing with the whole bottom of foot), however, he uses some of them as teeps if that makes any sense (targeting center of gravity rather than solar plexus, etc).

If he's penetrating enough to sap energy/really hurt a guy with a front kick, dollars to donuts it's a front snap kick.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not some expert on how Conor fights. I usually only watch his fights once or twice, max. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited:
A large part of me hopes this fight is just purely standup, including the clinch
It would be so good

LOL at this interview. Mark and the interviewer thinks Edmund T. is Conors coach!
Sounds like Mark has a more realistic view of Conors skills. And thats good to know!
Thanks

I'm pretty sure the Edmund thing was meant as a dig lol.

Back