Alvarez talk about mcgregor boxing skills and say..

Rockybalboa2

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
"To me, he's just a left hand. He's just a guy with a left hand. That's how I see him. He does something that we call a 'rock back' well. Mayweather does it. A lot of Philly fighters do it. He (McGregor) lives and breathes off it. A lot of MMA guys don't know about these boxing things that they do. This is a move that's very easily taken away and we're going to dominate every step of the way."

So, what do you think, sherdogger?

Correct me if I'm wrong but McGregor didn't start using the pull counter in the way he did against Diaz until really recently. Before he was pulling in the way that Stevie Wonderboy does, which is different
I'd be more inclined to listen to Mark Henry describe Conor's style. Eddie's never struck me as having the highest fight IQ and I've heard him mention in interviews that he doesn't llike tape study.

What is it now? The 6th thread about Eddie talking about Mcgregor's left hand??

Correct me if I'm wrong but McGregor didn't start using the pull counter in the way he did against Diaz until really recently. Before he was pulling in the way that Stevie Wonderboy does, which is different
I'd be more inclined to listen to Mark Henry describe Conor's style. Eddie's never struck me as having the highest fight IQ and I've heard him mention in interviews that he doesn't llike tape study.

Had to alter against the first guy he didn't handily (lol) out reach.

Had to alter against the first guy he didn't handily (lol) out reach.
And against one of the few southpaws he's fought - certainly the only one that he's fought that was taller

Usually Conor likes to hand fight to set distance, throws a lead uppercut with his right hand and bounces in and out of range with his footwork. He uses kicks from distance and he's usually farther away than his opponent can easily reach so he crushes them when they close the distance. They get deterred from moving forward, and he can pressure them. I guess in the pocket he does sway back, but he also shows inside and outside slips with equal regularity.

I'm not sure what Alvarez is talking about here. Conor's style might be based around landing the crossbody left, but he uses a lot of sneak set ups to get there.

@thatKid You're right. He did it a few times in the first Diaz fight as well.Really was a good weapon against Diaz's Jab. Makes you wonder if he had been preparing to use it for RDA or if he had that all along.

And against one of the few southpaws he's fought - certainly the only one that he's fought that was taller

Usually Conor likes to hand fight to set distance, throws a lead uppercut with his right hand and bounces in and out of range with his footwork. He uses kicks from distance and he's usually farther away than his opponent can easily reach so he crushes them when they close the distance. They get deterred from moving forward, and he can pressure them. I guess in the pocket he does sway back, but he also shows inside and outside slips with equal regularity.

I'm not sure what Alvarez is talking about here. Conor's style might be based around landing the crossbody left, but he uses a lot of sneak set ups to get there.

Yep. Eddie's main worry is pretty much what every orthodox worries about against a lefty, that shitty left cross. Eddies got a couple of things going for him. He doesn't jab at range a lot and he's comfortable fighting in the pocket, a place he can crowd out many of the angles and ranges southies are most dangerous at. As you noted Conor's not comfortable in the pocket, in fact he's looked pretty awful there at times. He best when he zones out the pocket with footwork and angles exchanging on the transitions into and out of range.

Imo Eddie's going to crowd the shit out of conor, try to put him into the fence and grapplefuck him from there. Eddie's good at that.

Whats up with NO fans, analysts, fighters or MMA reporters talk about Conors teep kick? The teep kick of McGregor is IMO one of hes biggest weapons outside of the left hand.
Conor broke down Dennis Siver, Chad Mendes, and Nate Diaz (2nd fight) with that teep kick, and thats a fact.
Conor talks about it all the time, but no one is buying it. Back stage after the 2nd Nate fight he credits hes win to the teep kick, and all of hes team also noticed how the teeps changed the fight by zapping Diazes cardio. Its obvious in the Siver fight, its obvious in the Medes fight and its super obvious in the 2nd Diaz fight.
Have anyone else noticed it or am I delusional?

Edit: Ive learned that its the "snap front kick" I'm referring to,,, not "teep kick".

Last edited:
Whats a rock back?

It's also called a pull counter at times. You create range off the end of your opponents strike by leaning off the end of the punch (rocking back) then as the thier strike is drawn back lean back in with a strike (usually a straight). Philly fighters are noted for it in large because it naturally fits with a Philly Shell as a technique.

I'll find a gift.

Whats up with NO fans, analysts, fighters or MMA reporters talk about Conors teep kick? The teep kick of McGregor is IMO one of hes biggest weapons outside of the left hand.
Conor broke down Dennis Siver, Chad Mendes, and Nate Diaz (2nd fight) with that teep kick.

His teep kick sucks?

Eddie gonna do well as he understands the lefties game

Plus he knows anything a lefty has a righty has the same advantage as the lefty. Eddie likes the the lead cross a lot and thats what you nees vs a lefty

Whats a rock back?
It's a pull counter
205qfph.gif

They all understand Conor's game until they get cracked by that left.

It's nighty night after that. Alvarez will be no different.

Here's a gif, don't know how to embed it sorry.

Conor broke down Dennis Siver, Chad Mendes, and Nate Diaz (2nd fight) with that teep kick, and thats a fact.
Conor talks about it all the time, but no one is buying it. Back stage after the 2nd Nate fight he credits hes win to the teep kick, and all of hes team also noticed how the teeps changed the fight by zapping Diazes cardio.
BEcause he used a front snapp kick not a teep kick to break down Siver and Mendes
It might have been a teep against Diaz, but I'm pretty sure it was a front snap kick in that fight too

Well of course he uses a rockback, he may not be fast like a Mayweather or Pacman but he has length and timing. This however doesnt mean Eddie is going to just run around it lol. He got obliterated by Cerrone who stood right in front of him.

Back