What's it like at a Gracie academy?

Sounds good, shame the classes are only an hour long.

I trained at a CTC for about 5 months. It was great with lots of focus on the fundamentals. Really good school. That being said, the school has since evolved and dropped the CTC and now they're affiliated with Relson Gracie (the instructors started under him anyways) and doing even better. They still use a lot of the CTC fundamentals though.. It's good stuff overall but it has to be mixed with competitive sport oriented BJJ in addition to the heavy focus on fundamentals and self defense.

You train under Mike Stewart by any chance?

You saw white belts sparring?
Just show up man. 20 years ago I was a white belt and I sparred there . Go there tell them your background and what yu want to get out of it and I'm sure you will not be disappointed .

By the way just because you think you are a hard core jiu jitsu guy remember you are a white belt. I don't even consider what you sparring. Looks more like children hang seizures

Just show up man. 20 years ago I was a white belt and I sparred there . Go there tell them your background and what yu want to get out of it and I'm sure you will not be disappointed .

By the way just because you think you are a hard core jiu jitsu guy remember you are a white belt. I don't even consider what you sparring. Looks more like children hang seizures

I'm not making out to be a hardcore bjj guy my friend. It's just I think it's an important part of bjj and my favourite part so I can try out techniques.

All that Self Defense Techniques talk is purely marketing my friend. Jiujitsu is Jiujisu the same in any academy. Those SD techs are great if you live in a remote area with no training partners and not much rolling. The fact is, you can just go to any Jiujitsu academy, learn the jiujitsu, take some Muay Thai Striking Classes, take a few wrestling classes, and you are good to go! I know first hand all about the Gracie Combatives etc. I was part of that for many years. It was only after I left and began training with other academies, did I realize all the bullshit I was being fed. You will learn for sure, but just don't buy into "Our Jiujitsu is the real Jiujitsu, and the SD is what makes us better prepared for a fight speech"... Thats flat out Horse Shit!!
CInta Negra

All that Self Defense Techniques talk is purely marketing my friend. Jiujitsu is Jiujisu the same in any academy. Those SD techs are great if you live in a remote area with no training partners and not much rolling.
CInta Negra

Not entirely true my friend. I started at one bjj school not knowing the difference really between schools. I was there for a year and a half and 99% of the classes were sport oriented tech's...open guard this and open guard that.. he always talked do this for points and that to get points. The place where I train now and have for 8 years it's a good mix of both sport and self defense. Better fit for what I want

All that Self Defense Techniques talk is purely marketing my friend. Jiujitsu is Jiujisu the same in any academy. Those SD techs are great if you live in a remote area with no training partners and not much rolling. The fact is, you can just go to any Jiujitsu academy, learn the jiujitsu, take some Muay Thai Striking Classes, take a few wrestling classes, and you are good to go! I know first hand all about the Gracie Combatives etc. I was part of that for many years. It was only after I left and began training with other academies, did I realize all the bullshit I was being fed. You will learn for sure, but just don't buy into "Our Jiujitsu is the real Jiujitsu, and the SD is what makes us better prepared for a fight speech"... Thats flat out Horse Shit!!
CInta Negra

This couldn't be more wrong. The difference between sport and self defense isn't technique. It's mindset.

I'm not making out to be a hardcore bjj guy my friend. It's just I think it's an important part of bjj and my favourite part so I can try out techniques.
Just go and stop trolling you have excuses without ever showing up. "classes are only an hour. I like to go to war. if the trainings not good it's pointless."
You have never stepped foot on their waterfall mats. unlike most academies they are open for a log part of the day you don't have to do just one class you can do as many as you want. Have you ever done a combats class it someone trying to punch you in the face? That's how we used to do it.

Go and tell us how bad it is. Please

Just go and stop trolling you have excuses without ever showing up. "classes are only an hour. I like to go to war. if the trainings not good it's pointless."
You have never stepped foot on their waterfall mats. unlike most academies they are open for a log part of the day you don't have to do just one class you can do as many as you want. Have you ever done a combats class it someone trying to punch you in the face? That's how we used to do it.

Do you work there or something ?

Talk about out of context. I asked because I thought people who went might be able to give me advice. I don't have tremendous amounts of time so I wanted to know as much as possible beforehand.
I don't consider myself to be going to war everytime I train or think that I'm "hardcore" as you put it. I do however like to get the most out of each session. On behalf of all white belts, I'm truly sorry that we do not entertain you with our sparring.

Thanks.

You train under Mike Stewart by any chance?

I sure did :) I moved to Germany but Mike and I are really good friends. Loved that academy and i'm glad to see them doing very well. Do you still train there?

I sure did :) I moved to Germany but Mike and I are really good friends. Loved that academy and i'm glad to see them doing very well. Do you still train there?

I never trained under Mike. I train with Stu at Team Maryland. When I first started Mike was 4 stripe white belt training under Stu. Mike's a good guy and am glad he's doing well with all of his schools.

I think the Gracie system looks like it could be a good way to learn but like I said I want to do some sparring. My current club spar alot so it would be a big shock to go to class and not get into a war.
It's the master cycle I'm interested in but obviously you have to complete the combatives programme first.

If you join their academy as a higher belt, do they still force you to take the combatives program?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavy
Back