What's it like at a Gracie academy?

If you join their academy as a higher belt, do they still force you to take the combatives program?

In my experience no. We have multiple blues from other gyms that have joined and they wear thier blues in class. However for promotion past that in the academy then yes they will have to retroactively test like anyone else. Like if you come in from another school as a zero stripe blue, you wear your old Blue belt but before you get your first stripe at Blue you'll have to pass combatives. Which should be no issue if you are a legit Blue or higher.

What does that have to do with anything ? Not everyone is heavy weight and trying to artificially bloat up to heavyweight won't make you a better fighter.

If you tiny and can't change that you should just accept that it's impossible for you to be a very good fighter.
Self defense isn't significantly important for almost everyone so shouldn't be any more concerned about that then about being unable to doge meteorites.
Also getting bloated or fat won't help much but putting on muscle will.
It's just silly to spend tons of hours on preparing for a street fight while still staying skinny and weak.

In my experience no. We have multiple blues from other gyms that have joined and they wear thier blues in class. However for promotion past that in the academy then yes they will have to retroactively test like anyone else. Like if you come in from another school as a zero stripe blue, you wear your old Blue belt but before you get your first stripe at Blue you'll have to pass combatives. Which should be no issue if you are a legit Blue or higher.

Thanks. That makes sense. That's not a bad policy.

Thanks. That makes sense. That's not a bad policy.

Its fairly simple too since promotions are test based on a set curriculum there's no guess work as to "what really constitutes X belt" so you already know up front "we expect you to know this stuff to be in line with this schools standards". Makes it more transparent imo.

Ive been there. Its pretty much like every other school. Warm up, technique, free roll. At least the day i was there.

Self defense isn't significantly important for almost everyone so shouldn't be any more concerned about that then about being unable to doge meteorites.

It is important for everyone, but just like a gun, you don't need it until you need it, you don't need that stockpile of canned food until you need it, you don't need car insurance until you crash your car....even though you are forced to get auto insurance

But yeah, being fat ain't gonna help you, just like you trolling the board instead of training isn't going to make you a better fighter

But yeah, being fat ain't gonna help you, just like you trolling the board instead of training isn't going to make you a better fighter

Currently I'm trolling much more as I have an injury and can't train properly.
Stockpilling supplies in your underground doomsday shelter is a good analogy for training for "self-defense".

Currently I'm trolling much more as I have an injury and can't train properly.
Stockpilling supplies in your underground doomsday shelter is a good analogy for training for "self-defense".

exactly many people get into no fights or maybe a handful....yeah there are plenty of pussies out there....but when you need it you do.....and it can mean the life of you or your loved ones...kinda important

Bit late I know but thought it might be worth sharing my experience.
The stuff we learned was obviously basic stuff and it ws a bit weird looking at it from a self defence point of view rather than sport but it was ok.
Does anyone have experience of the master cycle class? Is that pretty much sport bjj or does it still have the emphasis on self defence?

Bit late I know but thought it might be worth sharing my experience.
The stuff we learned was obviously basic stuff and it ws a bit weird looking at it from a self defence point of view rather than sport but it was ok.
Does anyone have experience of the master cycle class? Is that pretty much sport bjj or does it still have the emphasis on self defence?

It's both. Emphasize is punch safe and working with strikes at all times, and being able to recognize when a "sport" technique may be appropriate or possible. With a "sport" technique defined by whether it puts you in danger of being punched or not.

For example in blue belt 1 strip they include standing guard pass utilizing a post on the throat and strikes to open the guard (since the guy will need to bring the legs in to defend the punch).

a Helio picture right above each one. Every class probably starts with a GI/patch inspection, and ends with a Gracie breakdown.

This accurately describes the combatives place I went to. It was run by a former karate guy who realized jui jitsu was more lucrative than karate. White belts were not allowed to roll in the first 6 months, but after that any sparring often involved strikes. So one went from training without resistance to basically MMA sparring. The problem was their takedowns were lame and they didn't teach submission defense. I had some prior judo and boxing experience at the time though and found that worked better than the shit they taught.

I left the school after a sparring session with the head guy that resembled a kickboxing bout rather than a bjj match.

That being said, the place I train at now incorporate some of the punch block defense into their beginner curriculum. It works ok.

Last edited:
This accurately describes the combatives place I went to. It was run by a former karate guy who realized jui jitsu was more lucrative than karate. White belts were not allowed to roll in the first 6 months, but after that any sparring often involved strikes. So one went from training without resistance to basically MMA sparring. The problem was their takedowns were lame and they didn't teach submission defense. I had some prior judo and boxing experience at the time though and found that worked better than the shit they taught.

I left the school after a sparring session with the head guy that resembled a kickboxing bout rather than a bjj match.

That being said, the place I train at now incorporate some of the punch block defense into their beginner curriculum. It works ok.
How long ago was that?

How long ago was that?

Spring 2014.

They called those sparring sessions " Reflex and development". From what I gather training like that used to happen more in the 90's early 2000's.

My problem wasn't so much sparring with strikes, but more so sparring seemed like a way the higher belts controlled the white belts.

Last edited:
Spring 2014.

They called those sparring sessions " Reflex and development". From what I gather training like that used to happen more in the 90's early 2000's.

My problem wasn't so much sparring with strikes, but more so sparring seemed like a way the higher belts controlled the white belts.
I find it so interesting higher belts can't help but smash white belts. I got tapped 3 times by white belts last night. While 2 of them knew I gave them the submission I simply explained that when they role with people at their level those openings are there. I'm sure the 3rd guy went home and told everyone he tapped me out and how good he is. Good for him :)

I find it so interesting higher belts can't help but smash white belts. I got tapped 3 times by white belts last night. While 2 of them knew I gave them the submission I simply explained that when they role with people at their level those openings are there. I'm sure the 3rd guy went home and told everyone he tapped me out and how good he is. Good for him :)

Well there some bullies at that place I used to train.
How often do you use strikes in sparring? Is that a common thing at gracie academies or was my experience unique?

How often do you use strikes in sparring? Is that a common thing at gracie academies or was my experience unique?

At blue belt there is a special class for it called Fight Sim. It's rashguard, board shorts, mouth piece, 8 oz vale tudo gloves and you spar.

Bullies are no good and sounds like you came to a bad school.

In sparring for jiu jitsu striking isn't all that common. Typically you will have drills with strikes not free sparring. It sounds like where you went they are not practicing what they are taught at the gracie academy

At blue belt there is a special class for it called Fight Sim. It's rashguard, board shorts, mouth piece, 8 oz vale tudo gloves and you spar.

That's odd how you guys have different experiences.

It the place I trained at it was done in the gi and blue blue belts would wear boxing gloves and throw punches while the white belt partner was supposed to clinch and takedown. It wasa recipe for the white belt to get beat up.

Last edited:
It depends on how good your internet connection is.

If you have a lot of buffering, I would invest in fiber optic or else you'll never reach cyber black belt.

Back