Rousey and Tyson comparisons are apt.

Lots of people are confusing lack of skill with lack of heart when discussing Ronda.

Ronda's lack of skill was the primary cause of her downfall.

Mike Tyson survived a hellish environment and upbringing and still became a champ. Rousey shouldn't be compared to him at all. Stupid topic.

Man Tyson was Ko'd a bunch of times by cans a few times as well. Roja nada was knocked out by Nunes a Brutal puncher and Holm a boxing champ.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Many people have explained what went wrong with Tyson's career in this thread. You can't tell what happened by looking at a list of wins and losses on a Wikipedia page.

You really can trust what you're reading in this thread, which is rare for Sherdog. It's really a sad story. He had demons and did some terrible things (he's discussed them many times over the past decade) and if he had had the right mentorship his whole career then he would've been even more legendary.

And then people who don't know what they are talking about wouldn't be comparing him to fucking Ronda.

Watch some of his old fights as a young man. They're easy to find and they're awe-inspiring.

Mike Tyson survived a hellish environment and upbringing and still became a champ. Rousey shouldn't be compared to him at all. Stupid topic.
Ya because being there when your dad commits suicide is not crazy right?

Tyson had great defense and a great punch. He wasn't a great boxer. He came along at a time when the HW division was weak. He had about five amazing years and then dropped off quickly

No it wasn't. It was back and fourth trading. Mike Tyson caught Buster douglas with a monster punch during one of the exchanges.

Tyson1.gif

Tyson2.gif
It wasn't really back and forth. I was watching it live on HBO and Buster was winning clearly. But he wasn't dominating him or anything. Don King had him getting new Lambos every month and dating celebrities. He was just a young kid from poverty, he was fucked. He needed guidance, not an enabler.

I'm 36 that's when my addiction t combat sports started. He was fun to watch but had flaws and lost to all the greats of his time. Lennox Lewis was the best HW I have seen and it's not close.

I respectfully disagree. Mike literally wanted to take your head clean off when he fought. He was fun to watch, had charisma and was a trainwreck and you loved that. Mike was either going to destroy or get destroyed in the ring. He left it all out there in the ring and you dared not go for bathroom break when Mike fought :D.. Lennox not so much. Boring fighter, no charisma and did not have that killer or rawness like Mike did..

Best HW is a subjective term. I could say Ali was better than all of them but did you take bathroom break when Ali fought... heck yea cause you know there would be a round 12..

You clearly don't know what you are talkong about. Many people have explained what went wrong with Tyson's career in this thread. You can't tell what happened by looking at a list of wins and losses on a Wikipedia page.

You really can trust what you're reading in this thread, which is rare for Sherdog. It's really a sad story. He obviously had some demons and did some terrible things in his life (he's discussed them many times over the past decade) and if he had the right mentorship his career could've been even more legendary. And then people who don't know what they are talking about wouldn't be comparing him to fucking Ronda.

Watch some of his old fights as a young man. They're easy to find and they're awe-inspiring.
Man I watched his fights live as I did of Contemporaries......he was fun to watch and has great hi lights but I don't think he was all that. Lennox,Evander,Forman, and Bowie were all better and had better resumes.

Tyson was the real deal. Get the fuck out of here. He went on a skid towards the tail end of his career when he let in the vampires. Guys like Don King. When he was with D'amato and Rooney he was good. Don King was like the serpent in the garden of Eden. Tyson made a lot of money with Don King. Like more money then Tyson would have made without him. At the time Don King was one of the biggest promoters in the business. But it wasn't just King. It was other people around Tyson and his own personal demons that lead to his downfall.

Now that I think of it, I would say mentally they both have an Achilles heel.

But that's the only thing I would compare.

I respectfully disagree. Mike literally wanted to take your head clean off when he fought. He was fun to watch, had charisma and was a trainwreck and you loved that. Mike was either going to destroy or get destroyed in the ring. He left it all out there in the ring and you dared not go for bathroom break when Mike fought :D.. Lennox not so much. Boring fighter, no charisma and did not have that killer or rawness like Mike did..

Best HW is a subjective term. I could say Ali was better than all of them but did you take bathroom break when Ali fought... heck yea cause you know there would be a round 12..
Lennox was boring but had the best jab and overhand right in HW history and 37 Ko's.... lol ok

Mike Tyson was the youngest HW champ ever, unified the belts, and defended them almost 10 times. In boxing that's a big deal, and he's genuinely one of the best HW boxers of all time.
No offense but if you make this comparison you don't know much about boxing.

Man I watched his fights live as I did of Contemporaries......he was fun to watch and has great hi lights but I don't think he was all that. Lennox,Evander,Forman, and Bowie were all better and had better resumes.
You're missing the point and you keep repeating yourself. But I can't be any clearer in my explanations so I'm going to give up.

I'm glad you've seen the highlights. They are fantastic.

It wasn't really back and forth. I was watching it live on HBO and Buster was winning clearly. But he wasn't dominating him or anything. Don King had him getting new Lambos every month and dating celebrities. He was just a young kid from poverty, he was fucked. He needed guidance, not an enabler.

The fight went 10 rounds and the judges had the fight near evenly scored up until the 10th round.

"According to the judges, the bout was even going into the 10th but an overwhelming majority of ringside observers and those watching on TV believed Douglas was far ahead at the time of the stoppage. The judging was roundly criticized

http://www.fightsaga.com/Fights/item/844-Tyson-vs-Douglas#sthash.H0PDvgaS.dpu
f"

Tyson had great defense and a great punch. He wasn't a great boxer. He came along at a time when the HW division was weak. He had about five amazing years and then dropped off quickly
He was great. He left a coach and team that cared about him and let himself be consumed by greedy wolves. He really could have gone far.

I know a lot of you all are just gonna regurgitate what you've read, but for those of us old enough to have been watching his career unfold, we know the truth. He had unrivaled physical tools, always came in peak shape, and uuntil he lost D'amato and his discipline, always looked sharp and well trained. Add that to the fact that he was only 20 years old when he became the unified WBA, WBC, and IBF HW champion...well, he should have been the GoAT. He was ruined by fame and money.

You're missing the point and you keep repeating yourself. But I can't be any clearer in my explanations so I'm going to give up.

I'm glad you've seen the highlights. They are fantastic.
As you keep missing the part where I say I watch all of fights in entirety when they happened and since. I am not a huge fan sorry t disagree

The 2 most overrated and over hyped athletes ever. Looked great as bullies but once they got pushed they were finished mentally.

Tyson actually was game in his losses. He stayed in there and kept fighting. Ronda lost one fight and folded mentally. Don't disrespect Mike like this .

He was great. He left a coach and team that cared about him and let himself be consumed by greedy wolves. He really could have gone far.

I know a lot of you all are just gonna regurgitate what you've read, but for those of us old enough to have been watching his career unfold, we know the truth. He had unrivaled physical tools, always came in peak shape, and uuntil he lost D'amato and his discipline, always looked sharp and well trained. Add that to the fact that he was only 20 years old when he became the unified WBA, WBC, and IBF HW champion...well, he should have been the GoAT. He was ruined by fame and money.
He could but choose bad camps right? Had the physical tools but lacked training ...not that was the original point of my thread lol

Tyson actually was game in his losses. He stayed in there and kept fighting. Ronda lost one fight and folded mentally. Don't disrespect Mike like this .
So game he bit a dudes ear off.....if that's not mentally folding what is ?

Back