Sideways (2004)

G

Guestx

I FINALLY got around to watching this one last night after having it on my to-watch list since it originally was released.

Anyone here seen it?

I thought it was a solid movie that put a subject we hear very little about--wine obsession--into a central role in the story. It's interesting how people can get so into what, at the end of the day, is just a drink.

It was also cool to see Thomas Haden Church with such a big role. He's always been one of those actors who I've felt is underutilized by Hollywood.

7.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Good movie, very good performance by Paul Giamatti. I thought the wine thing was pretty incidental. They just needed some slightly obscure hobby to be common ground for him and Virginia Madsen and anything would have done for the purposes of the story. But they went with wine and it worked well.

Good movie, very good performance by Paul Giamatti. I thought the wine thing was pretty incidental. They just needed some slightly obscure hobby to be common ground for him and Virginia Madsen and anything would have done for the purposes of the story. But they went with wine and it worked well.

You could tell the story with another hobby, but I feel like the movie is as much as wine as it is about relationship woes.

If you switched wine for, say, rare book collecting then it would be just as much about rare book collecting than it is relationship woes.

You could tell the story with another hobby, but I feel like the movie is as much as wine as it is about relationship woes.

If you switched wine for, say, rare book collecting then it would be just as much about rare book collecting than it is relationship woes.

I think it's easier to "plug and play" a new hobby rather than write a different human story around wine tasting.

It's definitely a good movie. Certainly not one you can watch too often though. This was one of the first movies that really got me to know who Paul Giamatti is. I'm always kinda wishy-washy about Thomas Hayden Church. This was probably the first movie that I can think of off hand where I remember him from, although I definitely remember him from Wings (why I ever watched that show as a kid, I don't know).

I think I rewatched this within in the last year since you get different takes on movies the older you get. I very much appreciated aspects of it much more now that I'm a bit older. That said, I doubt I'll be seeing it again before the next 5 years.

Yet another movie I'm surprised that you just saw for the first time :) better late than never!

Can't we gotta get back for the rehearsal dinner.
D'oh!

Major spoiler below.
e2wbfd.gif

It's definitely a good movie. Certainly not one you can watch too often though. This was one of the first movies that really got me to know who Paul Giamatti is. I'm always kinda wishy-washy about Thomas Hayden Church. This was probably the first movie that I can think of off hand where I remember him from, although I definitely remember him from Wings (why I ever watched that show as a kid, I don't know).

We all watched Wings as a kid, bro. We all did.

I suppose your question of "Why?" could be equally applied to most of the TV shows of the time. Like Major Dad.

Yet another movie I'm surprised that you just saw for the first time :) better late than never!

Probably for the best, really. As you alluded to, it's the kind of movie that takes a certain amount of maturity to appreciate.

When it came out in my early 20s I don't think I was ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

We all watched Wings as a kid, bro. We all did.

I suppose your question of "Why?" could be equally applied to most of the TV shows of the time. Like Major Dad.

Oh man, Major Dad. I never would have thought of that series ever again. And yeah, there just wasn't nearly the options for entertainment then. I reckon if we're bringing up Major Dad, Coach deserves an honorable mention.

Either I didn't "GET IT" or it was shit, leaning towards the latter.

Oh man, Major Dad. I never would have thought of that series ever again. And yeah, there just wasn't nearly the options for entertainment then. I reckon if we're bringing up Major Dad, Coach deserves an honorable mention.

Yep, Major Dad and Coach. Those are like two peas in a pod.

I enjoyed both as a kid but if I tried to watch them today I'm sure I'd end up hating my life.

Couldn't get into it myself. Main characters are too unlikable, but then the movie seems to want you to sympathize with them.

Back