Gloves for bagwork. Hayabusa, Twins, Rival or Venum

JM_Zen

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know this has been overly discussed but as a beginner in boxing and mainly training on the bag I had to ask.
Which ones in your opinion would suit a beginner the best for bag work? Here in Greece all of the following come to about the same price more or less so it's all about the quality and value for money.
1. Hayabusa - Tokushu Regenesis Stealth
2. Twins Special - BGVL3
3. Rival Ultra
4. Rival Super
5. Venum Elite
6 Venum Giant

I have been training with the Venum Challenger 2.0 for about 2 months but I've been deeply concerned about an upgrade on both protection and overall experience on the bag. All thoughts and answers will be appreciated

I have owned most of the gloves on your list except the Rivals. Allow me to pick outside of your list?

I suggest the Fairtex BGV9 if you have a lower budget and the UMA Ultra if you have a higher budget. Both should still be around/under the price range of your option 1 I think.

These two that I name are the best bag gloves I have had. Fairtex BGV9 not only have amazing pop, but you are able to make a solid fist and landing on your knuckles unlike any other gloves, it's just a great natural feel.

Uma Ultra has two variant of padding now as far as I know, both are excellent. The older type of padding are the best gloves hitting hard real massive heavy bag with really good durability. The newer padding on the other hand are super responsive and the pop is the very best there is.

@iFossil thanks for the info man. I would have already bought the fairtex if there was a retailer here, but sadly options are not that many. Even the Rivals have had just a short bit of time that arrived here. These ones listed are at the moment considered the best ones you can get your hands on in Greece.

Don't Thai companies ship directly to Greece? Get them directly from Thailand bro, most likely cheaper than getting them locally as well. If not you can always contact uma, I'm sure they ship to Greece.

Anyway, no experience with the Rivals.

2. Twins Special - BGVL3
3. Rival Ultra
4. Rival Super
5. Venum Elite
6 Venum Giant

If you have weak wrist/wrist issue go with 1.
If you care about durability over anything, 2 is the best workhorse here.
Ignore 5
If you prefer comfy gloves, go with 6.

@iFossil have you ever ordered any fairtex gloves direct from thailand how would I find a supplier that would ship to the uk

@iFossil have you ever ordered any fairtex gloves direct from thailand how would I find a supplier that would ship to the uk

Yeah, I have, uk is super easy, all the major ones ship to the UK. I actually haven't seen one that don't. To name a few muaythai fighting, muaythai stuff, musaythai factory, soksai...

+1 for what iFossil said.

For a Thai gear supplier, I suggest Bull Sports Direct (Facebook). Great price and customer service.

BTW Fairtex prices are going up....again. so hurry up lol

Don't Thai companies ship directly to Greece? Get them directly from Thailand bro, most likely cheaper than getting them locally as well. If not you can always contact uma, I'm sure they ship to Greece.

Anyway, no experience with the Rivals.

2. Twins Special - BGVL3
3. Rival Ultra
4. Rival Super
5. Venum Elite
6 Venum Giant

If you have weak wrist/wrist issue go with 1.
If you care about durability over anything, 2 is the best workhorse here.
Ignore 5
If you prefer comfy gloves, go with 6.
I guess that about does it. I have a bit of concern for my wrists as I teach guitar so I might go with either Tokushus or BGVL3s. Thanks for the advice man, totally appreciated!

As far as Thai shipping to Greece I have no idea to be honest, but I will take a look if I can order them online from fairtex.

i have a hayabusa ikusa,twins,fairtexs(bgv1 breatable,super sparring)
ı think best ones hayabusa for heavy bag. i havent tried fairtex bgv9

I love the Fairtex BGV9's but to each their own I've used over 20 pairs of gloves and Fairtex are the first brand that felt good on my hands but some people don't like mexican style gloves

I love the Fairtex BGV9's but to each their own I've used over 20 pairs of gloves and Fairtex are the first brand that felt good on my hands but some people don't like mexican style gloves
i'm kinda sick of going throw gloves and are more worried about durability than protection. any recommendations.

I went through the spectrum of midrange gloves until I finally bit the bullet on some Winnings 10 ozs 5 years ago. I still use them to this day. My nails have ripped up the liner but the padding and overall glove still functions and looks great from the outside. If you wait for a rakuten code, you could get the 10oz for close to 170 I think. If you're spending 100+ on Fairtexes, Hayabusas, and Cleto Reyes that arent doing it for you. The Winnings 10 oz is just a stones throw more expensive than the custom glove retailers. And of course the winning's reputation for protection is already well known.

Damn it. I just sold a pair of new Winning 10oz. gloves. Should have kept and used them...

How often were you using them? And how hard were you going on the bag?

i'm kinda sick of going throw gloves and are more worried about durability than protection. any recommendations.

Fairtex BGV1's will last you forever and they're not Mexican style, Fairtex BGV9's will last the same and are Mexican style, both offer good quality protection for your hands. Take a look at fairtex and find a pair you like. Just don't get the BGV6 as they are just for sparring and will wear out if you do to much bag work or pad work with them.

I went through the spectrum of midrange gloves until I finally bit the bullet on some Winnings 10 ozs 5 years ago. I still use them to this day. My nails have ripped up the liner but the padding and overall glove still functions and looks great from the outside. If you wait for a rakuten code, you could get the 10oz for close to 170 I think. If you're spending 100+ on Fairtexes, Hayabusas, and Cleto Reyes that arent doing it for you. The Winnings 10 oz is just a stones throw more expensive than the custom glove retailers. And of course the winning's reputation for protection is already well known.

Are you referring to the MS300 (laceup, pro fight) or MS300B (velcro, training)?

In my case, I have hundreds of heavybag rounds logged into my MS300s (purchased mid 2013).

And to this day they remain more than usable, which is impressive considering I'm a heavyweight and that the gloves are officially pro fight gloves; which aren't supposed to be that durable compared to training gloves.

I wonder what happens to the many pairs of MS300s (and the 8oz version; MS200) that are used in pro fights (especially in Japan) after the match? It would pain me to imagine them just being used for 1 bout and get disposed of lol.

I'm referring to the lace ups. I hear the padding is different in the velcro ones, that allows people to punch through the padding with the lack of high density foam.

I wouldn't mind buying a 1 fight used pair of MS300's! I considered buying a new pair, but because my current pair is still so functionally perfect, I went with the SB3000s during the last Rakuten code. I ended up never using them as they hurt my knuckles even punching cushy air mitts. My MS300s are the only small gloves I can punch with full force.

Hangul, the Winnings I use are my workhorses. I do everything in them besides sparring. I like to vary my round length to target different energy systems. 5 minute rounds for anaerobic threshold; 90-120 second rounds for cardiac power; and untimed volume work for aerobic capacity. So in a nutshell I do the entire spectrum of intensities with my Winnings. I consistently train about 2x a week, but lately I've been putting 4-6x to up my training volume for a Thailand trip. Im not a huge guy, only 165 lbs, but I punch my damned hardest in those 90 second rounds, lol.

Last edited:
Fairtex BGV1's will last you forever and they're not Mexican style, Fairtex BGV9's will last the same and are Mexican style, both offer good quality protection for your hands. Take a look at fairtex and find a pair you like. Just don't get the BGV6 as they are just for sparring and will wear out if you do to much bag work or pad work with them.

Just got the Fairtex F-Day and so far I am really impressed. Really similar the the BGV9 but padding seems a bit softer. Love the grip bar for the fingertips.

I'm referring to the lace ups. I hear the padding is different in the velcro ones, that allows people to punch through the padding with the lack of high density foam.

I wouldn't mind buying a 1 fight used pair of MS300's! I considered buying a new pair, but because my current pair is still so functionally perfect, I went with the SB3000s during the last Rakuten code. I ended up never using them as they hurt my knuckles even punching cushy air mitts. My MS300s are the only small gloves I can punch with full force.

Hangul, the Winnings I use are my workhorses. I do everything in them besides sparring. I like to vary my round length to target different energy systems. 5 minute rounds for anaerobic threshold; 90-120 second rounds for cardiac power; and untimed volume work for aerobic capacity. So in a nutshell I do the entire spectrum of intensities with my Winnings. I consistently train about 2x a week, but lately I've been putting 4-6x to up my training volume for a Thailand trip. Im not a huge guy, only 165 lbs, but I punch my damned hardest in those 90 second rounds, lol.

That's strange how your knuckles hurt using the SB3000 on mitts...

Maybe the knuckle cushioning needs to be broken into more? It's quite dense compared to the softer MS300s that you're used to.

Have you tried using the Winning NG2 knuckle guards with those 4oz SB3000s?

I find that they make a great combination considering that it's easy to fit into those gloves. I can go full power on the heavybag with no issues. With those combined, they make for the most protective 5oz (NG2s weigh about 1oz) glove out there.

I always use my NG 2s, and I gave it a decent break in time. I think I just have a fucked up middle knuckle sheath from years of suboptimal punch placement.

I always use my NG 2s, and I gave it a decent break in time. I think I just have a fucked up middle knuckle sheath from years of suboptimal punch placement.

Could it also have to do with a fitting issue?

The SB3000s surely have a different feel/fit since it's not a traditional full boxing glove. This could also affect the way punches are landed.

Anyways, have you tried using your MS300s without the NG2s recently?

The NG2s are great, and could potentially add life to just about any heavily used glove that no longer have good knuckle padding.

I find that my 4 year old MS300s are definitely still usable without NG2s, but not as protective as they were brand new, of course.

But with the NG2s, they are even more protective than brand new without NG2s.

Back